What's new

SFGAdv | Jersey Devil Coaster | RMC Raptor | 2021

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Sorry if this already has a thread, but when I was reading through today's Screamscape news update, I found this interesting rumour:
Screamscape said:
2020 - New Coaster - Rumor - (11/12/18) The early rumor for 2020 is that Six Flags Great Adventure may be preparing to work with RMC… but don’t worry, they wont be touching El Toro. Instead they are said to be looking to take up some of the old Rolling Thunder space near El Toro to build a custom new RMC coaster creation. It may actually even interact with El Toro and just might even reuse that small section of Rolling Thunder supports that they left up that passes through El Toro. One possible idea was to even give it name inspired by Rolling Thunder and possibly call it Twisted Thunder. Given the location involved, this could also explain the sudden removal rumor for El Diablo.
Everything is a long way out at this point however, and always subject to change, so stay tuned.
This sounds very exciting to me! I personally reckon that it could potentially be the first TRex Track from RMC; what do you guys think?
P.S. Here's the Screamscape link: http://www.screamscape.com/html/six_flags_great_adventure.htm

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Well, Goliath at SFGAm stands as evidence that it's possible.

Or Six Flags will tear down one of their RMCs, grind it into sawdust and scatter it around Great Adventure. The thread title can be interpreted in two equally plausible ways.
I smell a Goliath clone if anything wooden.

You all know what I'm really thinking it will be.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

b&mfanboy123

Mega Poster
What makes you think they wouldn't? They've done it before and out of all of the SF parks, SFGAdv would be one that you could imagine them spending a lot on a new coaster mainly due to the amount of other expensive rides they have.
But those were pre bankruptcy

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
One thing to clarify: Coaster Studios posted a video last night where they interviewed Alan Schilke and he was explaining raptor vs T-Rex track systems. Basically, the main driver is the ride height. Raptors are great up to 200 feet - any higher and the trains would need to be redesigned and it would be more economical to utilize the stronger T-Rex track system. Although there is supposedly an interested party, Alan did state that it'd be a while before a T-Rex comes around because it's meant to be an absolutely enormous ride: 300+ feet. He also stated that they are working on a product that slots in between a raptor and a T-Rex...one that would allow higher capacity but would still make economic sense from a track size standpoint.

Now is Six Flags Great Adventure this interested customer for either a T-Rex or this new product? My money is on no, but as it was already mentioned, if any Six Flags park was to pull the trigger on one, it'd be Great Adventure.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
As @Antinos said, that “new project” Alan Schilke mentioned in the interview could very well be used for this coaster, as Six Flags Great Adventure draws in some of the largest crowds for any park in the Six Flags chain.
And it does so despite not having got a significant new coaster since 2011. If we're being cynical and pessimistic, it seems like Great Adventure doesn't really need a new huge attraction to make money. Maintaining its current lineup and spicing it with minor new attractions seems to have worked just fine.

That being said, a little renewal probably doesn't hurt. That backbone of crowd-attracting rides is aging after all, and any new crowd pleasers built now will be part of the backbone twenty or thirty years in the future as well. It'd be an investment they could live off of for a long time, even as current aging favourites such as Batman or Bizarro are eventually retired.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Six Flags tends to take the “something new every year” route in order to increase Season Passholder sales and continually draw new people to their parks while giving the current crowd a reason to come back for that new thing. However as @Pokemaniac said, coasters and other attractions can’t last forever unless they are of landmark or historical status; therefore, they should be replaced with more current and up-to-date variants in order to renew interest in the park and keep visitor count and profits up.

Alex B

Mega Poster
I wish, its my home park... i try to go at least once or twice a month

Idk, but its long overdue

I hope thats true but my special baby is el toro

Please do not triple post; keep consecutive messages to a single post whenever possible. Thanks! -GWAS

Last edited by a moderator: