What's new

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom | Batman: The Ride | S&S 4D Free Spin

Matt N

CF Legend
So it would seem that Discovery Kingdom is receiving a 4D Free Spin from S&S next year:
Should be a nice fit for the park, in my opinion! Also, it's interesting to see them go back to the old Batman branding like the prototype at Fiesta Texas had!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Another one of those? I thought they'd have built as many as they wanted by now? It's as if some Six Flags CEO found a coupon in his drawer and realized they were just one purchase short on a "Buy 7 and get a free T-shirt" deal S&S had going on. It's clear that Six Flags bought them in bulk at some point and must be getting them quite cheap by now.

Lofty

CF Legend
They're just not very good rides? The Intamin ones really pack a punch and the drops take you by surprise etc., these just don't have that. Really didn't like Joker.

Pear

Strata Poster
They're just not very good rides? The Intamin ones really pack a punch and the drops take you by surprise etc., these just don't have that. Really didn't like Joker.
Which Joker? The GADV one is absolute garbage.

Anyways the only really good ones are Batman at SFFT and Arashi as those use a good setup for the magnetic fins that actually gets you flipping. All the more recent ones barely have any fins. For example, Joker at SFNE only has 2 sets of fins: 1 after the lift, and 1 on the inverted portion. Really not sure why SF decided to start removing the fins and making the rides bad but it's quite sad as I hear Batman is very good and Arashi looks insane.

Lofty

CF Legend
No, not that at all... It's not about being 'insane enough'. I didn't state that at all? Hahaha. I was saying that these don't offer anywhere near the same experience as the Intamin ones.

Matt N

CF Legend
No, not that at all... It's not about being 'insane enough'. I didn't state that at all? Hahaha. I was saying that these don't offer anywhere near the same experience as the Intamin ones.
Oh right. Thanks for the clarification; I must have misinterpreted that!

Anyway, I personally think that one of these would be a stunning fit for a smaller UK park; maybe somewhere like Oakwood or Drayton Manor could get one? Or maybe Flamingo Land, as one of these actually seems like the kind of thing Flamingo Land would put in, if you get what I mean?

oriolat2

Giga Poster
They're so poo.

I rode Joker at SFGAdv and thought it was an enjoyable coaster which wasn't as balls-to-the-wall intense as Intamin's ZacSpins UNTIL I rode Arashi in Japan just last July. I don't know what S&S did to that Japanese model but it felt like a top spin on setting number 4 on rails (11 inversions to be precise). It was really intense and wild.

So much so I didn't see many people jumping back in line lol I loved it because, if run correctly, it's one of those rides that really scares the crap out of me.

GeodieCoasterFan

Mega Poster
I really enjoyed Joker at SFGA, thought it threw you about a bit without being too rough. Its short but fun, would love somewhere in the UK to pick one up

Ben

CF Legend
That’s interesting about the fins on SFFT’s, I thought I just enjoyed it more because it was the first I did and I was over them by the time I did more.

But meh more of these meh. They’re not bad they’re not good they’re creds meh.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
That’s interesting about the fins on SFFT’s, I thought I just enjoyed it more because it was the first I did and I was over them by the time I did more.

But meh more of these meh. They’re not bad they’re not good they’re creds meh.
Yeah, I didn't realise that either. I really liked Arashi, but figured later that it's because it was the first one I'd done.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I do like this addition more than I probably should. Discovery Kingdom has a fairly unique collection of rides that are densely packed on one side of the park. That gives the whole park a pretty neat feeling walking around with all their coasters towering over the midways.