What's new

Silver Dollar City |"Outlaw Run"| Rocky Mountain Wood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Silver Dollar City |"Outlaw Run"| Wooden Hybrid Coaster

To completely invalidate Ben's argument, let's look closely at wooden coaster track:

Kentucky Rumbler:
al32sn0000uj03dc4m1se8.jpg

See that dark gray strip on top and on the sides of the rails, right where the wheels run? Those are strips of steel.

Wait, you mean to tell me that wooden coasters...GASP...don't run on wood?!

The Voyage:
hidis7lhocjs0003sc0dlg.jpg

Cyclone:
7238000flg1mm2b00jh03f.jpg

Phoenix:
0lpj03dc4m33mg04f000gv.jpg

ALL wooden coasters use steel in their rails. Saying that Outlaw Run isn't a wood coaster because it uses a little bit more steel than every other modern/traditional/whatever the hell you wanna call it wooden coaster is ridiculous.

If you still don't think it's wood, whatever. If you don't think it's going to work, that's fine. Want a cookie?

Oh...and this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRB8Jor8tPs[/youtube]

Don't forget Gemini, Antinos. It's a steelie but it's supported by wood track. It really comes down to what holds the track together, Voyage is a hybrid but it's technically wood because it's wood that holds the track together.

debeg0078000k9m1jgrh07.jpg

That's what I'm pointing out Snoo :p

Antinos said:
To completely invalidate Ben's argument, let's look closely at wooden coaster track:

Kentucky Rumbler:
al32sn0000uj03dc4m1se8.jpg

See that dark gray strip on top and on the sides of the rails, right where the wheels run? Those are strips of steel.

Wait, you mean to tell me that wooden coasters...GASP...don't run on wood?!

The Voyage:
hidis7lhocjs0003sc0dlg.jpg

Cyclone:
7238000flg1mm2b00jh03f.jpg

Phoenix:
0lpj03dc4m33mg04f000gv.jpg

ALL wooden coasters use steel in their rails. Saying that Outlaw Run isn't a wood coaster because it uses a little bit more steel than every other modern/traditional/whatever the hell you wanna call it wooden coaster is ridiculous.

If you still don't think it's wood, whatever. If you don't think it's going to work, that's fine. Want a cookie?

Oh...and this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRB8Jor8tPs[/youtube]

WTF are you talking about?

We're not discussing the rails, but, the massive bits of steel that make up the ties. You are aware there's more to track than the rails?

Great pictures, but, none of them are the same as Outlaw, so, you just look like a bit of a twat.

Next time you try and look smart, get it right.

Again, see the amount of steel in all those pictures. Compare that to the amount of steel in Outlaw's picture. Outlaw has a lot more. It's not a normal Woodie. To say it is, is wrong.

I... don't get what's so hard to grasp?

Antinos, it's about what the core of the track is made of that tends to define wood versus steel.

For starters, virtually all coasters (except for that PVC tracked one) have the wheels themselves making contact with steel, so that part of the argument doesn't define it.

Imagine you got a piece of track, and cut through it with a saw.

Obviously with a steel coaster, the track is generally a tube, 100% steel, and the tube is hollow.

With most woodies (Including Intamins) its made by bonding/nailing 8 or so layers of timber, then placing the strip of steel on top for the road wheels. The top couple of layers of timber have wider boards, and the overhang is where they place other running strips for the upstop and guide wheels.

If you were to cut through this track with a saw, it would be 90% wood, with the last 10% or so being the steel running strips.

Even on the top two layers where the magic happens, you cut through and its mostly wood.

This coaster sits somewhere in the middle. 6 layers of timber, but the top two have been replaced with that rectangular box section.

So you cut through, and its a bit less wood. But the kicker is the bit where the magic happens is 100% steel.

So it's not as clear cut as you make it out to be. I think this will be a long term debate among enthusiasts though.

The thing that gets me thinking is, if it weren't for the steel, there is no way it would be doing the crazy stuff in this layout.

Gazza said:
The thing that gets me thinking is, if it weren't for the steel, there is no way it would be doing the crazy stuff in this layout.

This.

Excellent post man.

I'm not sure why this would need to be debated. It's a hybrid.

People better get use to it, because there are going to be more of these types of coasters that bend the rules of what is steel and what is wood. Enthusiasts aren't going to be able to neatly put these coasters in either category, and I'm sure sure peoples heads are going to explode as a result.

Newtrek5 said:
I'm not sure why this would need to be debated. It's a hybrid.

People better get use to it, because there are going to be more of these types of coasters that bend the rules of what is steel and what is wood. Enthusiasts aren't going to be able to neatly put these coasters in either category, and I'm sure sure peoples heads are going to explode as a result.

This is the best post I've read in a while.

This really is an argument going nowhere. Let it go.

I love the coaster layout, good on SDC to go for a woodie with "Inversions" as we have been waiting long enough since SOB.

sparky2u said:
I love the coaster layout, good on SDC to go for a woodie with "Inversions" as we have been waiting long enough since SOB.

Agreed, the layout definitely looks interesting for just how much is packed into a sub 3,000 ft coaster.

Either way, I'm pretty sure it counts as a cred.

While at the hotel in Denver yesterday, Duane and I discussed this at length.

We came to the agreement that the line between wood and steel has been blurred to such an extent, that much like credit/not a credit arguments, this comes down to personal definitions. It's both and neither at the same time. Nobody is right, nobody is wrong. We're just down to the fact that coaster tools like to argue.

Gazza and Ben, I'm fully aware of how topper track is built. Wooden coaster rails are made of nine to eleven boards of wood. Topper track only replaces the top two layers of wood. Even though there's more steel in rails with topper track than traditional wooden rails, they're still mostly wood. You both realize that - you stated it in your posts, so I don't see why you can't grasp that it's considered a wooden coaster.

[/beating a dead horse]

Do you consider coasters that have gotten topper track on them (Cyclone SFNE, Tremors Silverwood) to be steel, or are they still wooden? Nobody will argue those are steel...it's the same argument. This is wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.