What's new

Should Stampida (Port Aventura) really be RMC'd?

Should Stampida really be RMC'd?

• Total voters

StampidaRMC

Roller Poster
In my eyes, Stampida is an incredible RMC candidate. Not only is there Tomahawk next to it which could take the place of a woodie in the park, but Tomahawk could have its trains changed to Timberliners for a better experience. Stampida seems unnecessary in my eyes and if RMC'd would give Port Aventura an incredible lineup. It would also be highly marketable because of it being one of the few RMCs in Europe.

Hutch

Strata Poster
I mean, the ride isn't "good," but the racing aspect makes it fun and there are some surprising drops sprinkled in. If it was just a single coaster by itself, I'd say have at it. But it also acts as a more family-friendly/intermediate coaster, so turning that into something a little less accessible might not be the best idea. And it's not like it's a ride neglected by guests, so just put that money somewhere else.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Absolutely not. We need to keep our woodies. Let parks build ground up RMC rides, otherwise we're depriving the next generation from these wooden coaster experiences.
Why should we keep them if they're crap though? Stampida rides like it has square wheels.

This is probably a bit over dramatic but when a ride is *that* rough, I think it can damage a parks reputation and put people off returning. Merlin apparently avoided a woodie for years because market research suggested that woodies were seen as old and unsafe.

An RMC job would keep the classic wooden look of the structure whilst modernising and improving the ride. It's a no brainer IMO.

I'm all for wooden coasters but this one has been terrible for at least 10 years now. They've tried changing the trains and sections have been retracked over the years (I think?). The RMC treatment would give it at least 20 more years of life.

StampidaRMC

Roller Poster
Why should we keep them if they're crap though? Stampida rides like it has square wheels.
I actually don't think that Stampida is that rough. But I do think that with Tomahawk there is already a woodie in the park and Stampida RMC would give the park an incredible new experience (which they need). I am also personally not really a fan of wooden roller coaster, as I usually prefer larger and more intense steel coasters.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
I don't think it's crap though, 'crap' is your subjective opinion. The ride gets consistent queues and seems to be generally quite popular, also acting as a step-up ride for those who may find Khan and Shammy too intimidating.

I actually quite enjoy Stampeda, and of you want to improve it, retrack it and give it Millies.

StampidaRMC

Roller Poster
I don't think it's crap though, 'crap' is your subjective opinion. The ride gets consistent queues and seems to be generally quite popular, also acting as a step-up ride for those who may find Khan and Shammy too intimidating.

I actually quite enjoy Stampeda, and of you want to improve it, retrack it and give it Millies.
I think that the step-up ride would be from Tomahawk to Furius Baco and then to Khan and Shammy. (This is what I did as when I went as a kid Stampida was closed)

The_bullgod

Mega Poster
Please NO, Stampida is an awesome woodie and only needs some new trains and some TLC.
Those trains are crap, but the track itself isn't.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
No.

Stampida is a great racing wooden coaster.

One of my best coaster experiences ever was a back row night ride on Stampida many years ago.

It just needs new trains and whatever else required to make it smoother.

Peet

Giga Poster
Yeah we have precious few wooden coasters in Europe - 39 according to rcdb compared with 1,372 steel. I'd love to see more getting the treatment that Tonnerre 2 Zeus and Megafobia got / are getting. Stampida could be an awesome ride with a bit of that kind of investment. Some ground-up RMCs would be absolutely lovely too 🙂.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster

Yeah that's fair, I've defended it over the years but my most recent ride just over a year ago was really awful.

Appears it is still well loved though going by the opinions on here.

StampidaRMC

Roller Poster
I'm surprised by the amount of people saying no to Stampida RMC and how much love this ride gets. Well, this is the reason for this poll anyway. I feel like even with the millie trains and a re-track, Stampida is still a mid-ride because of the layout not being open for a lot of forces. If they actually want to make Stampida better, they should do a GG re-track like on Tonnerre de Zeus at Park Asterix.

StampidaRMC

Roller Poster
Timberliner restraints will make it worse, not better in my opinion. Millennium Flyers would do much better I'd say.
Millennium Flyers could do better, but I can't see how Timberliners could make the ride worse. The restraints have a lot of room and are comfortable, not only that, but they run fairly smooth on track.

Inverting_Thrills

Mega Poster
I feel like even with the millie trains and a re-track, Stampida is still a mid-ride because of the layout not being open for a lot of forces.

I think that saying it's bad soley because it's forceless isn't unfair. It's not focusing on forces it's focusing on a fun racing experience. Racing on a coaster is stupid fun. I remember back when my homepark's racing wooden coaster, American Eagle, used to actually race and just how fun it was. Sure the ride had little to no force the whole ride but it wasn't supposed to. The ride was just meant for you to have a good time and race your friends. What I'm trying to get at here is that just because a ride is forceless doesn't mean it isn't good. Furthermore from my understanding the ride's place in the park's lineup is like many other wooden coasters. It serves as a moderate thrill ride for those who aren't quite ready for the bigger rides.

StampidaRMC

Roller Poster
I think that saying it's bad soley because it's forceless isn't unfair. It's not focusing on forces it's focusing on a fun racing experience. Racing on a coaster is stupid fun. I remember back when my homepark's racing wooden coaster, American Eagle, used to actually race and just how fun it was. Sure the ride had little to no force the whole ride but it wasn't supposed to. The ride was just meant for you to have a good time and race your friends. What I'm trying to get at here is that just because a ride is forceless doesn't mean it isn't good. Furthermore from my understanding the ride's place in the park's lineup is like many other wooden coasters. It serves as a moderate thrill ride for those who aren't quite ready for the bigger rides.
I don't really care about the racing aspect of the ride. This might be because of how I was always born with this coaster racing and take it as granted, but I never thought of it as a big deal. When it comes to it being a stepping stone, Tomahawk is still in the park, which could replace it as a stepping stone for children.

Inverting_Thrills

Mega Poster
I don't really care about the racing aspect of the ride. This might be because of how I was always born with this coaster racing and take it as granted, but I never thought of it as a big deal. When it comes to it being a stepping stone, Tomahawk is still in the park, which could replace it as a stepping stone for children.
Tomahawk is a lot smaller then Stampidia though. it doesn't quite fill the same age range. Back when I was younger the only ride I would ride was Viper. Viper was a wooden that was similar to Stampida in terms of scale. I would never ride any of the larger rides then it because they scared me too much. Of course after a few years I got over my fear but the moral of the story is that Stampida is to many people like Viper was to me. It's a thrill coaster that's not too large. It fill in a very important gap in the line up. An RMC would change that into a much more thrilling ride and take that away from them. As much as an RMC would be cool it wouldn't make sense to remove a ride in the lineup like Stampida