What's new

Shamu kills trainer at Seaworld Orlando

That's a shame. Wonder why it did that to a veteran trainer. Shamu seems so nice as well. :(

^ Well there's 9 of them, and it wasn't the big one as it wouldn't have been out during that time.

It really is a shame, though. I've been trying to find out her name as I know a few of the trainers down there and I would hate for it to be somebody I knew. I suppose this is the risk that you take when dealing with creatures that can kill you quite easily. Everybody is always very careful, but I guess this time something must have gone wrong. It's very sad for everybody down there.. I hope for the sake of the public there weren't too many at the show.

Oh my god, wants to see what SeaWorld do about this! It's tragic but thi smade me laugh so bad.

Me: Tells the story
Mum: How come no one stopped it?
Sister: It's a killer whale mum.
Mum: So, couldn't they shoot it?
Sister: Mum, havn't you seen the size of them things, you'd need a bloody bazooka.

And now I can't stop laughing.

The park appears to be lying about the story now. =/ Saying she slipped into a holding tank when other reports clearly state that guests SAW the attack in the stadium.

Ugh. I hope it wasn't in the stadium and no one had to see it rip her apart.

See the key in the name, Killer Whales.

No idea why they try make them appear 'cute' and 'friendly.

They know the hazards when then took the job as do SeaWorld when they house KILLER whales. It doesn't matter how tame they are, they are still wild animals.

Shame though, never good to lose a life.

Joey, where are you finding this? Would like to read about that. If I can, I'll try and talk to some of the people that work in the stadium and see if they know anything more about what's going on. Either way, like you said, hopefully many didn't have to see it.

This particular one has killed before! :lol:

(Not that the death itself is funny - but that SeaWorld let the whale continue to 'work' with people)

Dave said:
See the key in the name, Killer Whales.
No idea why they try make them appear 'cute' and 'friendly.
Because they are and they make a big splash which makes everyone at the front wet. :)
It's in their nature but when trained up like this it's unlikely to happen. It's just one of those horrific things really and I think all the trainers are well aware of the risk in their job.

CedarPoint6 said:
Joey, where are you finding this? Would like to read about that. If I can, I'll try and talk to some of the people that work in the stadium and see if they know anything more about what's going on. Either way, like you said, hopefully many didn't have to see it.
It was a live video direct from the park on http://www.ustream.tv/cbsnews so it's over now. :( Was a large man with a big fat neck talking about how she slipped into the holding tank.

I just turned on Sky News to find them saying she was drowned. A guest from the park was on over the phone and was saying he didn't notice anythign was wrong till the siren went off.

Which makes it sound like she dived under the water as part of the show, and the whale then flipped and the accident occured under the water, hense why guests at the back of the stadium didn't notice until the siren went off..?

She wouldn't have gone in the water for the show - he (the orca) was banned from performances interacting with staff in the water due to his previous record.

So either the whale grabbed her or she slipped. She didn't go in the water intentionally.

I guess as more reports come out, we'll find out the right story. Seems like a lot of these early reports tend to jump the gun on stuff. Really is unfortunate for everyone involved. Thoughts go out to everyone involved.

Neal said:
She wouldn't have gone in the water for the show - he (the orca) was banned from performances interacting with staff in the water due to his previous record.

So either the whale grabbed her or she slipped. She didn't go in the water intentionally.
Numerous guests are saying that they witnessed the show, though.

Yes, whilst I agree with you that the trainers still have to train them. This was during a show, so my point stands.

And yes Joey:-

Theory A (that the whale jumped up and grabbed her): is the guests' side of the story

and, Theory B (that she slipped in the water and all havoc broke loose): is the park's side of the story

Shame this happened but at the end of the day they are wild animals and all staff working with them know the risks.

I hope the whale is not put down it's not its fault, it may have been ill or not feeling right who knows.

The trainer slipped & fell into the tank at the start of the show according to Dan Brown, president of the Orlando park, who said the trainer was one of the park's most experienced. He did not release the trainer's name & would not answer questions about whether it happened during a performance, but an audience member said a show was just starting.
Victoria Biniak told WKMG-TV the the whale "took off really fast in the tank, and then he came back, shot up in the air, grabbed the trainer by the waist and started thrashing around, and one of her shoes flew off."
Jim Solomons of the Orlando County Sheriff's Office, said the trainer slipped or fell into the whale's tank, which seemed to contradict Biniak's description: "This appears to be an accidental death, a tragic death."
So do you want to believe the official report or the statement of an audience member when others say they didn't see anything out of the ordinary?
It was also reported that the whale isn't part of the show, but UC proved otherwise.

I don't understand, the link Joey posted claims it happened during a Dine with Shamu experience? I thought they did those between shows?

nadroJ said:
I don't understand, the link Joey posted claims it happened during a Dine with Shamu experience? I thought they did those between shows?

Yeah, Dine With Shamu isn't a massive main event like the big stadium shows.

But for now it's now the most ironic attraction in all of Florida.