What's new

SFMM | Wonder Woman Flight of Courage | RMC Raptor | 2022

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that SFOT's PowerSplash was actually a ride that they bought for the cancelled Six Flags Dubai, so I'm thinking that it definitely wasn't intended as Six Flags' next bulk buy attraction.
Then again, hasn't Six Flags had a thing where they buy a "pilot" for their bulk buy attractions a couple years before purchasing in bulk? I seem to recall that both the Larson Loops, the S&S Free Flys, and the Giga Discoveries were all built at one or two parks at first, and then rolled out across the chain later. The same thing was the case for the Batman clones back when the chain actually had money. So there's still a chance that the PowerSplash could have been their next bulk buy attraction, even though only a couple were bought. Then again, a brand new park in a brand new market doesn't seem like the logical place to put a pilot like that.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
The first Power Splash was around $10 million, and didn't require overseas shipping. No doubt a bigger version with a loop (the version many were suggesting MM was getting) would be significantly more. Not sure how expensive you're suggesting raptors are, but doesnt seem like even the bigger raptor model would be costlier than a power loop. Seems apparent the SFOT version was already purchased and not intended to be mass produced for SF.
RMC has stated multiple times that their goal for the raptor model was to have one built in "every park." With only two opened, one under construction, and plans approved for two more since the model was introduced, it's clear it hasn't taken off like wildfire like they anticipated...and I'm willing to bet that the main driver behind that is cost. How can S&S sell so many free spins for what I believe is around $7 million, yet parks don't want to spring for what is clearly a much more significant ride, even if it is only a few million more? Neither RMC nor the parks released pricing for these rides and I'd bet that it's because the pricing isn't as attractive as everybody thinks. If parks could buy a triple out model for less than a powersplash they'd be sprouting up everywhere.

rideguy70

Mega Poster
One of the biggest perks for an S&S Free Spin is that it has a relatively small and narrow footprint. They can go nearly anywhere, and don't need all that much room.

Raptors are more of a traditional coaster (in terms of land space), and not everyone has that much room.

Superbatboy

Roller Poster
RMC has stated multiple times that their goal for the raptor model was to have one built in "every park." With only two opened, one under construction, and plans approved for two more since the model was introduced, it's clear it hasn't taken off like wildfire like they anticipated...and I'm willing to bet that the main driver behind that is cost. How can S&S sell so many free spins for what I believe is around $7 million, yet parks don't want to spring for what is clearly a much more significant ride, even if it is only a few million more? Neither RMC nor the parks released pricing for these rides and I'd bet that it's because the pricing isn't as attractive as everybody thinks. If parks could buy a triple out model for less than a powersplash they'd be sprouting up everywhere.
Nah, Alan Schilke is on record saying the parks want bigger raptor models. Which is why we're seeing JDC and this proposed one for MM. If parks were hesitating because of cost, why are bigger/more expensive models being ordered?? We never saw Six Flags install any of the bigger/more expensive S&S free spin models, if anything screams cost prohibitive, it were those 10 inversion models.

RMC from what we know is booked years in advance, so them taking on 4 raptor projects in addition to the likes of Iron Gwazi, Steel Vengeance, Zadra, Hakugei etc; doesn't scream 'these are too expensive for parks' at all. If a water park with no coasters has enough capital for one of these, I dont think they're breaking the bank as much as you're suggesting.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
RMC has stated multiple times that their goal for the raptor model was to have one built in "every park." With only two opened, one under construction, and plans approved for two more since the model was introduced, it's clear it hasn't taken off like wildfire like they anticipated...
Note that it hasn't yet been two years since the first models opened, though. I think it's a little too early to declare the Raptor coasters as underperforming just yet. Remember that it took two years from the first S&S Free Spin until the third one was built, and then they started popping up like dandelions after that.

Gazza

Giga Poster
I think what is holding these back is a wait and see approach in terms of reliability.

Perhaps parks want to see how these things perform over a longer period before putting their arse on the line

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Quick thought.
Isn't a S&S free spin technically more of an RMC than an S&S ?
Not really... It's like saying all the Intamin stand-ups are actually Giovanola, or saying all Premier Rides coasters are actually Intermountain Lift. The coaster is designed by S&S, and the supports and trains are made by S&S. RMC just works as a subcontractor for making the track, so it still counts as an S&S ride.

chasingairtime

Roller Poster
Not really... It's like saying all the Intamin stand-ups are actually Giovanola, or saying all Premier Rides coasters are actually Intermountain Lift. The coaster is designed by S&S, and the supports and trains are made by S&S. RMC just works as a subcontractor for making the track, so it still counts as an S&S ride.

It's more blurry than that even... Ride Centerline (Alan Schilke and team) designed the layouts for every RMC, the Free Spins, Maxx Force, Steel Curtain and maybe more S&S products. He should be just as associated with S&S as he is with RMC. I'd argue that Free Spins are more of an "Alan" ride that S&S/RMC helped bring to reality.

Pear

Strata Poster
Well this settles it then

https://www.reddit.com/r/rollercoasters/comments/go4j2z
FB_IMG_1590091563304.jpg

image0.jpg

Last edited: