What's new

SeaWorld San Antonio | Wave Breaker | Intamin Family Launch

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
So SeaWorld San Antonio is getting what appears to be a new AquaTrax sometime. Or it might be a clone of that thing at Sea World Australia.

uTHC9S7.jpg

kqsDVpQ.jpg

It's part of an expansion with a dark ride of the same theme going to SW San Diego. A new hotel might also be going to the San Diego location as well.

Source: http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201511/4823/

Whole article:

Robert Niles said:
Recently hired SeaWorld CEO Joel Manby spoke investors in a conference call today, outlining his vision for the company, which has been suffering declining attendance at its theme parks in recent years.
SeaWorld's decision to end orca shows at SeaWorld San Diego is getting all the headlines in the general press, but Manby didn't actually announce that. He said that the San Diego park would end its run of the current "One Ocean" show in 2016, replacing the performance with a new presentation that relied less on theatrics and more on orca's "natural behaviors."

Given that One Ocean sharply cut back on the theatrics of "Believe" and previous orca shows, due to the removal of trainers from the water, Manby's announcement reflects the next step in an already-established trend for the company. But SeaWorld San Diego will still have its orcas and they will still "star" in public showings, even as the nature of those shows change.

More significantly, Manby announced some other changes for the San Diego park. SeaWorld has "signed a letter of intent with Evans Hotels Group to explore development of a resort hotel on SeaWorld's leased land in San Diego," according to its press release. Evans operates several other properties in the San Diego area, including The Lodge at Torrey Pines. SeaWorld and Six Flags Magic Mountain have been the only theme parks in Southern California without on-site hotels — features that Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, Universal Studios Hollywood, and Legoland California all offer.

SeaWorld also will develop at least two rides inspired by its "Sea Rescue" television show, including a roller coaster at SeaWorld San Antonio and a dark ride at SeaWorld San Diego. The concept art for the San Antonio coaster shows trains fashioned to look like personal watercraft, while the San Diego concept art shows riders in trucks and on personal watercraft driving past what looks like underwater habitats.

9PfVP8p.jpg

All concept art courtesy SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment

uTHC9S7.jpg

kqsDVpQ.jpg

To help pay for the "Sea Rescue" rides, Manby said that SeaWorld is diverting money it had set aside for the "Blue World Project," a massive expansion of its orca habitat in San Diego. SeaWorld will refurbish the orca habitat in San Diego as part of the end of One Ocean show, but he did not elaborate on exactly what that would entail.

Finally, Manby said that SeaWorld has obtained the theme park rights to the Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer character and that Rudolph would be featured in new holiday "shows and experiences" at the parks.

(If you are in the Southern California area, I will have some additional thoughts about today's announcement in Tuesday's Orange County Register.)

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Re: SW San Antonio | SeaWorld Rescue: The Ride | Aquatrax(?)

The whole Aquatrax thing has basically evolved into a different coaster type now (Jet Rescue, Manta, Juvelen), so I don't think we'll see another true Aquatrax again.

They've retained the seating style/position, but longer trains allow for better capacity.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Re: SW San Antonio | SeaWorld Rescue: The Ride | Intamin Lau

I don't think it will be a clone of the one in Australia as that Sea World is a separate park and has nothing to do with the Busch Parks.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Ben

CF Legend

^True but they're getting the exact same ride type with the same theme, that's a link not a coincidence.

And spite I don't want to have to go back to that hole.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

Don't forget that Sea World San Diego already has this ride type, too.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

From what I've heard it won't be a clone of the one in Oz and Ankapark. But a longer version.

Think this is a good fit for an already decent park lineup.

Ben

CF Legend

gavin said:
Don't forget that Sea World San Diego already has this ride type, too.

Nah their one is Mack.

Similar but nah.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

Ah yeah. Had it in my head it was Intamin. Durrr.

andrus

Giga Poster

GuyWithAStick said:
^Gotcha. Changed title accordingly.
The upright sitting position launchers (Juvelen, Jet Rescue etc) are listed as "Family launch coasters" in the Intamin site.

Think this will be a great addition! Juvelen is super-awesome <3 <3 <3

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

For reference, here is the Australian Jet Rescue. Very much a low-to-the-ground family coaster, and seemingly different layout than we are seeing here. However, I'd anticipate a similar tire launch system.

http://rcdb.com/4293.htm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZZWTThNWKY[/youtube]

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

andrus said:
GuyWithAStick said:
^Gotcha. Changed title accordingly.
The upright sitting position launchers (Juvelen, Jet Rescue etc) are listed as "Family launch coasters" in the Intamin site.

Think this will be a great addition! Juvelen is super-awesome <3 <3 <3

Family didn't fit. I was intending to put it there, though.

Hutch

Strata Poster

Was browsing Screamscape and completely forgot about this. Apparently they're looking to begin construction next month and it'll cost $18 million. Seems pretty high for a family coaster but it might be a lot more than just a family cred. There's more speculation saying that it'll actually be called Wavebreaker: The Rescue Coaster. Both names are meh.

SeaWorld also released this teaser months ago.

[youtubevid]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LsZE61HofM[/youtubevid]

andrus

Giga Poster

^Wasn't Juvelen ~9€ millions? Which would translate into $10 million. Either this ride will be substantially larger (which I can't imagine since Juvelen was already pretty big) or have some extensive theming (more likely). Either way this is really exciting! Juvelen is fab <3

_koppen

Hyper Poster

Yeah, it was in that ballpark of amount.

Any chance of this being a Vekoma? I've seen them marketing the jetski train for a few years now..

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
Re: SeaWorld San Antonio | Wave Breaker | Intamin Family Lau

Here's a coaster animation
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SeaWorld/status/780880215769612288[/tweet]
Edit: Moved from duplicate topic. - ECG

CarolinaRider

Mega Poster
Re: SeaWorld San Antonio | Wave Breaker | Intamin Family Lau

And people say 2017 is going to be a down year. This looks like Juvelen 2.0, and that's exactly what I was hoping for.

Edit: Moved from duplicate topic. - ECG

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

LiveForTheLaunch said:
Nothing can save this park from being a sh*thole.
If anyone can it's Carl Lum.

[youtubevid]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaMXEzlH-3g[/youtubevid]

Tomatron

Giga Poster

At least the park are being proactive and starting to build for a future when they don't have any whales left, and these sort of rides are pretty fun whichever big manufacturer builds them.