What's new

Sea World San Antonio | Texas Stingray | Wooden Coaster

Matt N

CF Legend
Rumour has it that this coaster will be a GCI wooden coaster of some form. Early rumours on sites like Screamscape suggested something akin to InvadR, but the SeaWorld leaks suggested something somewhat larger.

I could personally see them going for some Texas wooden coaster records, as they are now surprisingly easy to claim! The tallest and fastest and longest wooden coaster in Texas is currently Boardwalk Bullet at Kemah Boardwalk, standing at 96ft tall and reaching speeds of 51mph with a track length of 3,236ft. That might sound strange, but it is worth remembering that the larger wooden coasters built in Texas are now either firewood or hybrid coasters by RMC. SeaWorld could quite feasibly break the wooden coaster records in Texas without building too much of a large ride, so I could see them going for it!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Yeah, this doesn't look like a family woodie to me:-
Dn3psVlXcAAt-99.jpg:large

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
It might be, but Steel Eel and Great White both look pretty awesome!
Great White is just a Batman clone, and there's another one in the same city. I liked Steel Eel more than most who've ridden it seem to (it's better than Mamba and Steel Force anyway), but a decent woodie will be better.

Matt N

CF Legend
Great White is just a Batman clone, and there's another one in the same city. I liked Steel Eel more than most who've ridden it seem to (it's better than Mamba and Steel Force anyway), but a decent woodie will be better.
I suppose. If this is a GCI, I'd presume it'll ride something like Wicker Man, but bigger, so it should be a great addition to the park!

It'll also be a good factor of differentiation from Six Flags Fiesta Texas, as that park no longer has a genuine wooden coaster!

MakoMania

Mega Poster
Yeah Steel Eel is an awesome ride, The Great White is still good but it's one of my least favourite B&M inverts.

Wave Breaker & Atlantis are good too, but they're family coasters really.

I feel like a good quality well paced wooden coaster will definitely be the best ride there. Something on the scale of Thunderhead at Dollywood would be fab.

This park is expanding rapidly like SeaWorld San Diego is, I'm expecting big things from this place in the future, both on the animal and ride side of things.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
If we can get a race between Fiesta Texas and Sea World, I would happily drive my ass the 5 hours to whore out until SFOT gets anything of substance.

The wood in TX is pretty trash, so give us something to enjoy for 5 years before the humidity ravages it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jcoasters

Mega Poster
Cool! Something about Texas and wooden coaster maintenance strikes me as a poor relationship, but, oh well. Boardwalk Bullet was absolutely atrocious when I rode it, although it's still one of my favorite woodies of all time haha.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
If we can get a race between Fiesta Texas and Sea World, I would happily drive my ass the 5 hours to whore out until SFOT gets anything of substance.

The wood in TX is pretty trash, so give us something to enjoy for 5 years before the humidity ravages it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Way too early to call this, but it seems like San Antonio is a pretty good destination for a 2020 Live.

Pear

Strata Poster
I actually reckon this could be for BGW's Intamin. I mean, Abyss doesn't fit any kind of sea-life theme, so I think that rules out the SeaWorld branded parks.
How in the world do you not think Abyss is a name relating to the sea/ocean?

Claiming that the name is for BGW's Intamin (Which will be themed to something Italian) is one of the stupidest things you've ever said and that's saying a lot

MakoMania

Mega Poster
I have been really struggling to think of what a wooden coaster in a SeaWorld park could be themed/branded to. I thought maybe a shipwreck type feel? Abyss is a bit of a generic name, could work for a shipwreck theme or something else.

Dar

Hyper Poster
You get snagged by an angler fish or something similar that drags you down into the abyss (first drop), then the rest of the ride is you trying to get back to dry land?
I don't think the fact it's wooden will necessarily play a role in the theme

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
^Nah it won't be. I'm pretty sure the guys from GCII said the first one will be going to China at IAAPA. Also, the concept image just showa what looks to me like a regular GCI, but a decent-sized one at that..

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
That GCI shown in the leaked concept art definitely evokes more of a Gravity Group-like vibe! If that is indeed the real layout, I think it's going to be refreshing to see GCI try a more conventional-styled wooden coaster - but I love their more twisted coasters as well.