What's new

Scarier Rides For whimps?

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
To be perfectly honest I am a complete whimp when it comes to roller coasters, yet somehow I am completely obsessed with them. So what I was wandering is what rides would ease me into the scarier ones. Just to help the suggestions the scariest rides I have been on are Vampire at chessington and No way out at thorpe. And I have been considering Air, if I can get to alton that is. So anyway thanks for helping! :lol:

Jools

Giga Poster
Nemesis Inferno can get you over a lot of them, my friend had only ever been on Snake In The Grass at Pleasurewood Hills, so was wouldn't go on anything else, on getting her on Nemesis Inferno, she now wants to go on everything and she finds "ALL UK RIDES" crap now, I guess she hasn't ridden Nemesis and Apocolypse, the UKs to pride rides IMO, Ultimates good too :p

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Start out riding smaller coasters and work your way up.

Don't let height intimidate you, just know that each step is only a couple ft. taller.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Get to know the safety systems. Read trip reports, see how the big rides are praised and ranked, how some of the "scariest" ones are labelled as dull, and picture the millions of riders that have left the coasters eager for more. Then force yourself onto a big ride (preferrably when there's no queue, harder to back out then). The fear should be gone after/midway through the first ride, drowned by joy and excitement.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
When queuing up for a ride, don't watch it, just chat with your mates/family about everyday things - football, jokes, school, whatever. That way you'll be distracted from the actual coaster and will be more relaxed. Watching it go round will only add to your anticipation.

Remember you won't get hurt! You've already some big rides so you know you can handle them. Millions of people ride thousands of different rides every year. Some people are scared, some aren't. They're safe and are there to thrill you, not scare or harm you!

When you're on the ride, hold on tight and close your eyes if you need to. Nobody can see you on the ride, so don't worry what anybody else thinks!

The only way to conquer your fear is to confront them. You wont look back.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Pokemaniac said:
Then force yourself onto a big ride (preferrably when there's no queue, harder to back out then). The fear should be gone after/midway through the first ride, drowned by joy and excitement.
Strangely enough I have had the chance to go on Nemises inferno without a queue but I chichken out at the air gate and opted to go on No way out instead which had a 20 min queue! xD Thanks for the advice guys! I know I am going on Air and I hopefully will go on inferno next time at thorpe! ^^

Mike

Giga Poster
I used to be dead scared of any ride that went even remotely high or went upside-down.
Then, when I went to Florida in 2000 I decided to tackle my fears by going on Kraken. The first ride, I had my eyes closed for pretty much the whole circuit and was nearly ****itng myself, but after that the adrenaline kicked in and I just couldn't stop riding it. Eventually, I decided to open my eyes at random points on the circuit, and before long I figured myself to be totally safe on the ride anyway, and I would actually like to see where I'm going, so I just kept my eyes open.

So, my advice, start off big, but if you're really scared just close your eyes.
After one ride on a large ride, your adrenaline will be pumping, and you won't be abl to get enough of the bigger rides!

Jools

Giga Poster
I got some tips.

1) One popular choice is just to face your fear, get on and you may turn out to be obsest with big coasters.

2) Make your way up slowly, start of on rides such as a Zierer Junior Coaster, then something like Spinball Whizzer, then up to like a Boomerang, to something like Nemesis Inferno, Colossus and then things like Stealth and Saw, so you end up thinking UK rides are crap, trust me, It happened to me.

3) Don't be intimidated by the noise, the roaring is just normal and other noises like hissing and clicking are only systems which are keeping you safe.

4) If you don't like the stomach feeling, as yu grow older your fat and muscles protect your organs more so they don't move about as much as they do when you're a child, so it doesn't hurt as much.

5) Don't worry about the heights, usually you will find even if you're scared of heights, you are not scared of coasters as you feel safe and secure.

6) If you don't like the waiting, pretend you're queueing for something amazing, and distract yourself by talking or thinking about other things.

7) If you don't like going upside down, keep your head up straight, and don't look at the ground, if you like the feeling, next time feel free to, so you have a more thrilling experience.

8) Scared when you're boarding, maybe it would be a good idea to pick a seat in the middle of the train/car, so you don't feel or see much

These tips got my girlfriend to ride everything, now she wants to go everywhere
:oops:

A-Kid

Giga Poster
When I first started riding aged 9, I didn't like the idea of upside-down rides. So I started off with PMBO as I didn't mind hight (or though I shat myself at the top of the lift). The next step was obviously inverting rides. So I got myself to go on Air and Corky first. Instantly hooked on Air at the time. After that I got Vampire out the way to try out the inverted position. Liked it. So next was Inferno. Then the Alton big boys. I slowly worked my way up the scale.

I would really recomend trying Air as a first. I have always seen it as a good 'beginners' ride. Not too extreme, not too high up, but enough to build you up for the really extreme rides.

robbeal

Hyper Poster
I think you're in a similar situation as I was when I joined this site.

When I joined, I had a coaster count of 7. At my first live, at Alton, i'd still not been on Nemesis, because i'd been too scared on my previous visits to Alton. I'd been reading this site non-stop for a good three months before the trip though, and everything i'd read had reassured me that nothing was going to go wrong, and I was going to be perfectly safe.

So, going to my first live, knowing that, I spend the whole of my first (few) ride(s) on Nemesis with my eyes closed. As Ian and Mike say, there's nothing wrong with doing that, it probably helps you at first.

Just go for it really, pick a ride that scares you less than others. Find information that reassures you it'll be fine, and just go for it.

Air is a good point to go for, because its not intense. The seating position can be a bit daunting at first, seeing as there's nothing underneath you. If that worries you, then Nemesis is probably a better step if you're going to Alton. Its not as mad as its often made out, it just goes quite fast. The seats are reassuringly safe though, and you'll not feel like you're going anywhere.

Good luck!

marc

CF Legend
My 1st coaster was the Big Dipper at Blackpool.

I was so scared I let my little brother go 1st, when he came off alive and smiling I went on it :) Never really looked back since.

I do get nervous more than anything on new big coasters, but I like the feeling tbh. I just like the buzz and the fear.

My advice would be get on the ride when there is no queue, try it once if you dont like it dont do it again. Most rides do not last 2 mins so then its all over but at least you tried.

I would actually say try Rita or Nemesis 1st. Air is strange and its about the only coaster than makes me feel ill, I just dont like that upside down backwards part. Air put me off flyers until Tatsu.

Brookes

Giga Poster
I never used to like rollercoasters, I wouldn't go on anything. But I went on a school trip in Year 8 (I think I was 12) to France and we went to Parc Asterix and Disneyland Paris. The first ride we came to was Trace du Hourra and all my mates were going on. I was going to chicken out, but then I thought I might like it, and everyone is going on, so I might aswell. I was nervous at the start but I enjoyed it thoroughly and we kept going on. The fear soon disappears once you go down the the first drop or around the first corner, and the excitement and adrenaline kicks in. Then I went on to do Big Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain things like that. I didn't know Space Mountain went upside down and was scared of going upside down, but I felt like I had achieved something and had loved it. The way I looked at it I've been on one thing which is so high or has so many inversions and this has less or is smaller so I will be ok on this etc. So, I just built myself up to the big rides by doing the "middle" rides first, not tiny but not really big. And now I love them. By the way, I did Rita before Air in terms of the big rides at Alton as I felt safer due to seating and the fact it didn't go upside down, but I suppose it depends which things you like/dislike the speed, height inversions etc.

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster
Brookes said:
I never used to like rollercoasters, I wouldn't go on anything.

I was the same i hated them. Then you forced me on front row nemesis.

Yeah, just gently ease yourself in with added speed and height, Air i think is a good one, because its not fast but it is good to ease you in. Then when you think your ready, try inversions.

Brookes

Giga Poster
The Grape Wizard said:
Brookes said:

Yeah, just gently ease yourself in with added speed and height, Air i think is a good one, because its not fast but it is good to ease you in. Then when you think your ready, try inversions.

There was no force used in getting you to ride Nemesis.

And the second part doesn't make sense, because Air has inversions. :p

Jools

Giga Poster
My first rollercoaster was The Rattlesnake (Snake In The Grass) at Pleasurewood Hills, then I became more comfortable and wanted to ride Cannonball Express (Enigma), and the day after was comfortable enough on Rollercoaster (GYPB).
My next and first major park was Alton Towers in 2001, I went on Beastie, Runaway Mine Train, Black Hole which I was only just taller enough for (<3<3<3) and my first upside down ride; Corkscrew, I was petrified and was shaking at the age of 7, I was shaking up the lift, and glued my eyes shut, and as it hit the breakrun I remember I was crying and still screaming :lol:
My first ride of which I was 1.4 was Air at Alton Towers, I loved it and thought it was amazing, then felt a bit more comfortable to try other things like Oblivion which petrified me, and I was a bit shaken up, but I loved it anyway, then I went to Drayton Manor the next day, wa shaking in the queue for Shockwave, but went on and loved it (well I did then) and Klondike, I wimped out on Apocolypse, and I still hate drop towers (except Det and Mega Drop at Pleaurewood Hills that once was).
Next big acheivment for me was braving Pepsi Max Big One which was my favourite ride ever since I rode it to when I went to Florida, where I found Kraken the best ride there, now It's Expedition GeForce, and the only rides that scare me now apart from Drop Towers are Launchers, I hate the feeling you get in your chest, but still go back for more :lol:

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster
Brookes said:
The Grape Wizard said:
Brookes said:

There was no force used in getting you to ride Nemesis.

And the second part doesn't make sense, because Air has inversions. :p

I meant upside down, i dont count ai as upside down ecause your one your back.

Slash

Giga Poster
I find that daring yourself to go on a coaster works. Make sure you don't get too scared though. Work your way up but as soon as you've been on one that you deem "big" you'll be fine on going on any one!

The main thing is don't let your fear take over your love for thrill!

Inverse

Hyper Poster
I was terrified by the Flying Fish when i was much younger. Never did a coaster again till 2006 when i went to Legoland, did the Jungle Coaster first and since then i've done 49 coasters. I think a wild mouse is pretty unnearving for apparently small rides. I did The Ultimate quite early in my coaster career, although it's rough, it mostly stays by the ground and has two good drops. Then go for Nemesis/Inferno. Then if your wondering about stepping upto the Stealth Oblivion type of ride, i think a quick queue onto stealth is best. Woosh and it's over and you'll love it. Oblivion is like taking the plaster off slowly.

You mentioned Air in your original post, that's a great option in my opinion, relaxing, gentle but with a couple of Inversions and a decent height.

P.S: That little girl/old lady is riding it...

A

Anonymous

Air isn't actually scary- it isn't too fast or too tall so if you go alton towers(hope you do) Air is the perfect ride to start on.

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
1) Figure out the exact type of ride/element that you are scared of.
2) Find a SMALL ride that contains this element.
3) Research all about ride before boarding so you know exactly what to expect.
4) Get a friend to force you onto the ride.
5) If you're still struggling, try just stopping thinking about the ride until the moment that the train sets out of the station. Then panic. It's what I did on stealth.

Also, never close your eyes, and unless it's really rough, put your hands in the air. Contrary to genreal public's belief, this is actually less scary becuase with open eyes, you see what's really happening instead of being disorientated so much, and hands in the air I find gives me a more relaxed and confident feel about the ride. The other reason for doing these 2 things is that it will make the ride experience more fun, so when you come off, you will more likely think 'That was amazing!' than 'That was scary!'