What's new

Scandia Ontario- Trip Report (Now with capitalization AND punctuation!)

kenny cook

Mega Poster
Hey y'all, I had the chance to head on down to Scandia Ontario after my visit to Castle Park (there was a trip report posted for that one to) so here's my extremely short trip report of everything that the park has to offer! To start, the park is crazy expensive, and I rode only 2 rides for $11, so I highly suggest you get an all day ride pass, which even then can be hard to get your money's worth out of due to the rotating operators. Let's get onto the ride review!
-
Scandia Screamer (1x): What. The. Actual. Crap. I knew people said the airtime was crazy, but that was absolutely mental. I sat in the back row, left side, and my elbow is still hurting from my ride 3 days ago. It doesn't look super, super crazy from the station, but it is such a crazy ride when you're actually on it, crazy enough that they had to take off the back row due to how intense it is. I buckled up, went through a very thorough safety check, and the single train (one train ops ftw) rolled out of the station, up the lift hill. First drop had some decent airtime, and wasn't terribly rough or jerky, 2nd drop had a bit more intense airtime, 3rd drop a bit more intense than that, and it really slammed you around the turns, and then the double down came. It was the absolutely most intense ejector airtime I've ever experienced in my entire life, better than any RMC or Intamin I've ever done. The first part of the double down wasn't too crazy, just forceful, and then due to the angling of the drop on it, you're then thrown forward, before slamming a good 5-6 inches down onto your butt when it's over, only to be thrown directly into another airtime moment. From there you're slammed into the side (tip: sit on the right side as then you don't get slammed around) and then thrown into several bunny hills all with equally intense ejector thrust followed by back crushing slam down. You then hit the final turn, which gave me whiplash as it slammed so hard into it, and shake your way right into the brakes. An absolutely mental ride, that I would have done again had it not been $5.50 a ride. If you're in the area, I highly recommend you do it, as it's out of control like an RMC, but doesn't feel nearly as engineered, giving off a totally unique homemade feel. Out of 61 credits I've ridden, it does not make my top 10, however, it probably comes in in my top 20, around spots 16-20. However, just judging the airtime, it's my #1 coaster without a doubt
-
Cliff Jumper (1x): After waiting 20 minutes for an attendant to come by, I hopped in the pod after paying my $4.50 and was ready to experience my first ever larson drop tower, a model highly ranked by enthusiasts for it's insane airtime. The op came by and helped me buckle my seatbelt, as in my seatbelt that went around the waist, pulling it as tight as it would go, and then lowered by OSTR, pushing it as far in as it would go, before pulling the OSTR seatbelt as tight as it would go. Just as a note, you could tell they were extremely safety oriented, as every restraint looked impeccably maintained, and they were extremely thorough in their restraint checks. The ride lifted up and I got a little bit of that tingly feeling in my stomach, as I heard that there was no pause at the top, it just went straight into the freefall. BAM! We hit the top, it falls pretty fast, and then it hit the brakes with quite a bit of force, and honestly, I was pretty overwhelmed. The best part of the ride was for sure the wondering of when you were gonna drop, because I'm not sure why, but probably due to riding one of America's most forceful airtime coasters (Scandia Screamer) moments before, as well as the west coast's most intense airtime drop tower (Dragon's Tower at Castle Park), the airtime just felt average, and the brakes killed my already aching back from Scandia Screamer. While I definitely respect other's opinions that Larson drops are the best drop towers out there, I respectfully disagree, and thought it was a mediocre ride.
-
Final thought: Overall Scandia is a very nice family park, but I didn't enjoy it due to the insanely high prices, painful coasters, mediocre drop towers, and the fact that it took almost 40 minutes to do 2, 90 second attractions when ops refused to come even though they were sitting around doing nothing. The employees were a bit below par too, not really wanting to engage or smile, or even respond when I tried to be friendly and start a conversation, although the manager (David) couldn't have been nicer in trying to help me understand the points system which I frankly did not get at all. I recommend that if you're passing by you stop on it, ride Scandia once on the right side, and then continue on your trip as it's a passable park, but I don't see myself returning anytime soon, unless we happen to pass by it and we have some time and money to spare. That's my full review of Scandia Ontario, and I hope y'all enjoyed this trip report! Please be sure to drop a comment, or ask any questions below, because I'd love to help answer them! Thanks!