What's new

Saw Stalls

spicy

Giga Poster
Just see the news on CF front page that Saw stalled on the first overbank, but from the picture I just thought how the hell did it stall like that?!

It makes no sense unless the wheels some how jammed..?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Yeah, something is jamming the train in place. I suspect it will either be some piece of debris, or a destroyed wheel/bearing. Although I wouldn't have thought a bust wheel would be able to support the weight of the train without it just sliding back down, especially on an incline like that.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Apparently it's been stalling since first testing this morning. Very odd stuff as it must be some kind of jam happening somewhere. A wheel stopping or something, otherwise it would just roll back and valley.

Very odd...

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Has it been stalling in the same place (suggesting something isn't right with the track) or anywhere?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
When I went last Thursday, they did run a few cars round empty about midday. It was running VERY slowly in the morning. The ride I had in the afternoon was fine. Didn't see anything like this though. Must be a Thursday thing.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
247512_10150327897807977_758612976_9772870_2226761_n.jpg

Before the cherry picker arrived - same position by the looks of it.

Ben

CF Legend
The cherry picker is also not actually doing anything in that photo, it's just mincing there.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
cartoongeorge96 said:
Im not questioning you but how do you know that the train is not moving

It's a fair point to be honest, but I trust the source/s.

They may come along and say it was a "joke", but I find it doubtful.

spicy

Giga Poster
I would have thought that its pretty impossible for a cherry picker to pull a coaster train?

Its a strange one thats for sure, something that I have never seen before.

It seems rediculous but maybe Eurofighter trains have some sort of anti-rollback brakes on the wheels? :?

Is there any other incidents of Eurofighters stalling?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^I pretty sure there are no anti-rollbacks on the wheels. In fact, I'd put money on it. I can't think of any others stalling off the top of my head though.

I would have thought that its pretty impossible for a cherry picker to pull a coaster train?
They'd be setting up the winches and cables then using a motor to pull the train just to the point of stalling. Then they take all the stuff away and give it a push. :p

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Right, just got confirmation.

The ride did valley earlier today.

The car was then winched to the position in the photo and clamped there.

Mystery solved.

spicy

Giga Poster
That clears that one up then! It was baffling though :lol:

So I guess they clamp it to the very top of that turn, give it a push and it will complete the rest of the circuit.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I can't see why it's suddenly stalling though. As I said, it appeared to be running slowly last Thursday. Tiem for new wheels methinks.

Maybe Ollie hasn't deposited any of his own lubricant on the track recently ;)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^They are winching the train up the inversion (the next highest point) to be able to release the train and let it complete the circuit. How else would they get the train back? That photo must have been taken when they were halfway up.

Although, what does furie's picture show? Is that just a random photo from when it was working properly?

Peter

Hyper Poster
I've just got back from Thorpe.

It stalled in testing first thing this morning (apparently not uncommon and has occured one other time this season) and valleyed inbetween the Immelman and overbanked turn. They obviously winched it up to the half-way point and then left it there over lunch (when the pic was taken.) At about 2-3pm the cherry picker made another appearance and winched the car up even further and when we left the park it was just short of the top.

Not as exciting as we first hoped. :p

Anyone know if the ride will be able to make it back to the MCBR from there - if not some more winching will be required over the airtime hill.

reddude333

Giga Poster
If it needs replacement wheels or something like that this is a very bad sign. I wonder if the vehicle weight is playing any roll in this (as in wearing on the track/itself). Hopefully they figure out the issue soon.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
^Wheels go out all the time and it's not that big of an issue at all. Granted when it causes rides to valley its a bit more rare, but, honestly, it is something every ride has checked and changed out at least one weekly.