What's new

S&S Screamin Swings

sparky2u

Mega Poster
What are these like as I want to try "Rush" at TP, but a bit nervous & want to hear people's views 1st.

Intricks

Strata Poster
A very exposed Swinging ship is the easiest way I can think of describing it.

Granted you face away from each other and not towards, but generally the same concept.

Very good fun!

CPSFMMCW

Mega Poster
You should ride it, its soooooo much fun. Thats the easiest way to describe it. Its not scary, its just pure fun. The wind blowing in your face, the weightlessness, its all just a lot of fun. Highly recommend it.

Hutch

Strata Poster
I really like them! It's basically just nice floater and wind in your face. They ride time isn't too long though.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
The acceleration provided by the compressed air mechanism is the best attribute of the Screamin' Swings. Restraints are also rather minimal, which keep you feeling open. I admittedly much prefer Skyhawk to standard Screamin' Swings - the ride cycle is shorter but forces are far greater.

That all being said, I also much prefer Huss Giant Frisbee and Zamperla Giant Discoveries, as they are faller, faster, and provide a much more intense experience.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Jason Voorhees said:
I was gonna do the one at Dollywood but I decided not too, I think I'll get on it next time.
The Screamin' Swing wasn't built when I was there, so I rode the Topple Tower. :wink:

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
They are one of the few rides that actually scare me but I love them all the same. As the name suggests, it's a massive swing albeit with great acceleration and height. I find it slightly unnerving when it's at full swing and I'm facing the ground with just a lap bar (and the laws of physics) to hold me in. However, that';s what I love about them. No ride offers a similar thrill or "danger". And, of course, the floaty pop of weightlessness at the top of each swing is sensational. By far my favourite flat ride type.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Alright, I went for sarcasm earlier, but I really don't understand the love for these swings.
They aren't bad as such, it's just I'd never go out of my way to ride Rush at Thorpe Park having done it at least once before. The only exception is possibly for Fright Nights for the view (but then you would be better off looking from the top of The Swarm anyway).

The small pop of airtime is nice, but I don't really get scared on them as I do on say a drop tower. Rush is over before you can blink because of the poor cycle. Mix that in with the terrifying NOISE the door on the side support makes as it bounces around and I just don't find it enjoyable.

Are there many others in existence (I've no idea) and how do they compare? I've only been on Rush and UpSwingit at Liseberg (which is fab because it's over a giant hill, but would be just as boring without the landscape factor).

I actually prefer a classic pirate ship. Screamin Swings just don't give you the same queasy feeling in the stomach that pirate ships can induce.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Sue, I find Rush actually gives the best ride experience of the three I've been on. However - as with everything at Thorpe - the ride experience ends just as you're starting to enjoy it. It needs another two ro three swings at least.

Upswingythingy at Liseberg I found a bit dull, but the location fantastic.

The one at Lake Compounce I can't really remember to be honest :lol: Mustn't have been that good.

It's frustrating, because I'd love Rush if it was longer and it never had a burdenous queue when I went. I just can't be arsed waiting over half an hour for a half arsed ride cycle. It's like their **** Enterprise which never really gets vertical. Stupid Thorpe!

sparky2u

Mega Poster
I'll def try Rush when I go in March, Why not ask one of the staff at Thorpe to put Rush on a longer ride setting if the Q is short.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Doesn't quite work like that - but a short queue would mean a quick reride! cool)

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
They are great fun, but as everyone else is saying, Rush at Thorpe Park (which is unfortunately the only one I have been on) has a dreadful ride sequence, which is far too short. I'd say they are reasonably scary, if you aren't massive on airtime, as there isn't much to hold onto when you're at full swing. But it's well worth a try, the airtime can be fantastic, and completely thrashes Vortex in terms of swinging rides. Though I will admit, Maelstrom at Drayton Manor is the best swinging flat ride in the UK.

Just make sure you don't get stapled, that really ruins the ride.

Infernus

Hyper Poster
^^Only Engineers can change the amount of swings, which run at a max of 9 start to finish.. Been asked too many times to make it longer (Giggidy), like most things, I can only make it shorter!

Scott88

Hyper Poster
I just wish Thorpe would run Rush on a decent cycle everytime I've been there in the last few years it hasn't been worth waiting for.

I'd have liked to seen one of them at BPB too tbh.