What's new

S&S Sansei bringing back the steeplechase coaster.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Interesting pre IAAPA news as S&S bring back the Steeple chase coaster concept from Arrow.
The design well known to us Brits as one of two examples is at Blackpool. The other the Cycle Chase/Wacky Soap Box Racers at Knotts.

S&S also has set up a test track at their factory seen below.

db_2017_1029_SSTest_steeplechase1.jpg
Source
SS1.jpeg
Source

I wonder where this concept might end up. Screamscape speculates it may well be Knotts trying to bring back the Soap Box Racer concept.

Temleh

Mega Poster
Interesting. With Steeplechase constantly being rumoured to be on the chopping block, this could "save it" as BPB may choose to upgrade it with newer, safer restraints. It could, of course go the other way and actually put its future in danger as it loses its uniqueness. Excited to see which park gets one of these!

Lofty

CF Legend
This is really cool - Steeplechase is actually terrifying, but still really fun. I do hope to see more pop up and spite Maurer’s attempt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Only two of these were ever built, right? Wacky Soap Box Derby at Knott's and Steeplechase at BPB?

lachlan

Mega Poster
There was this one:
Coney-Island-Steeplechase-postcard-ca-19151.jpg

At Steeplechase park, Coney Island. Of course, not an Arrow, but I think this was inspiration for Arrow's design

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Wow, didn't realise that Blackpool's was the only one in operation. Could be interesting to see where this story goes.

Can we bring back bobsleds please now! (Mack still has it listed on their website.)

Sandman

Giga Poster
The layout in the test-site photo seems to show more significant drops and banked turns than seen on Steeplechase. Interesting. It's the sort of ride that would be enhanced with some decent theming. I just can't see any of the major parks buying one though.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
That mobius transfer track is great! I love it. I wonder if they'd synchronize the trains on the lift hill the second time?

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
What makes you thnk it wouldn't have a MCBR? That's just a concept video so there's nothing to suggest they can't/won't have one.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
My biggest concern is the "safer restraints" meaning capacity nightmare. Of course irl it would have a MCBR. Really don't see the point of this.

I don't want Steeplechase to die, but this doesn't have to exist to prevent that, they could get custom cars with safer restraints from anyone if they threw enough money at it. The real question is, is it worth saving? From a business perspective? Probably not. It takes up a lot of room and I don't think I've ever seen all 3 running.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
^Taking up room isn't a problem for Blackpool. The amount of Icon footers in the middle of Steeplechase is mindblowing.
They also ran all 3 on the last day of this season.

lachlan

Mega Poster
All three were running when I was there... but that was in 2013.
I don't understand how it is unsafe - it has operated since the 70s and nobody has fallen off?

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
I still think there is a place for steeplechase. Riding a horse/dinosaur/etc while racing another is a cool novelties. I think the precarious nature of the ride will go with the new trains though.