What's new

Roller Coaster TV Programs and News Articles!

davidm

Strata Poster
ACE have just released a new documentary thingy that might be interesting (I've not watched it yet though myself) ; The Legacy of Arrow Development

Its online on their youtube site, I'd suggest that its "impolite" of me to just embed the whole thing here, so pop over there if you fancy...

CLICKY HERE

Zac

Roller Poster
david morton said:
ACE have just released a new documentary thingy that might be interesting (I've not watched it yet though myself) ; The Legacy of Arrow Development

Its online on their youtube site, I'd suggest that its "impolite" of me to just embed the whole thing here, so pop over there if you fancy...

CLICKY HERE
So much vekoma hate wow

Dave

CF Legend
david morton said:

CLICKY HERE

That was a really good documentary, I did see it floating around Twitter/Instagram the other day between Screamscape and another account. But as the poster above said the Vekoma/B&M/Intamin spite was quite obvious in places, probably just a USA v Europe situation. But Arrow definitely left a huge legacy after it merged into S&S.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I watched half of it - I thought it was dull but with good info. But yeah, boring presentation? Still very well researched etc. and worth watching.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

tiahgo

Roller Poster
I'm not really sure where to post this, but I've just finished watching season 2 of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and they go to Universal Studios in the last episode!

hahahaha They have a plot about us, what they call "coasterheads", and the portrait is so funny and somehow pretty accurate.

Well the show is hilarious and one of the characters even knew that Rip Ride Rockit is a "X-car" coaster. loved it.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
2:07 - 2:28 Maybe Merlin can finally take the hint lol.

Great interview Serena! I loved the way you described a roller coaster as 3D art that you can experience. I also second the composure statement in full :p .

davidm

Strata Poster
(sorry for the slightly random screen-grabs BTW ; if you have official publicity photos / professional head-shots etc, then feel free to replace them! ;) )

jayjay

Giga Poster
Jam packed with rides and so much stuff to do. There's a lot going on at Flamingoland
That's a very specific compliment from Serena

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Aha brilliant. Some odd choices for certain topics(i.e. Mammut for speed, Big Dipper for drops, etc.), but it's definitely one of the better roller coaster TV shows I've seen. Hoping for some more episodes!

davidm

Strata Poster
So I have had a constructive few days (!) watching those ;)

Most of the episodes are basically the same format - common theme for the episode, couple of pet-goons embarrass themselves by saying silly
things (that they don't really believe) about the ride/park, presenter chap (who is pretty good) watches the ride for a while and chats
to some marketing bod/ride-op/engineer then voxpops a couple of punters getting off. Presenter chap then rides the coaster (in excitable
mode, and messes his hairstyle up most times), after the ride a couple more talking heads (who probably have never been on a roller
coaster in their lives) discuss presenter chap's bio-responses to the ride (bit tenuous that bit to be honest, seem to be saying the same
thing most times - but hey; "science"). Presenter chap then explains a bit more "science" about the ride with the help of pencil and paper
or random confectionery.

...repeat for the next ride - 4 rides per show.

#1 "Speed" : Mammut, Hollywood Rip-Ride-Rockit, Velocity, Furius Baco
#2 "Falling" : Big Dipper (Blackpool), Expedition GeForce, Hurakan Condor, Sky Coaster (Fun Spot)
#3 "Height" : Big One, SheiKra, Magnus Colossus, Shambala
#4 "Inversions" : Turbo, G Force, Kumali, Dragon Khan
#5 "Length" : T'Ultimate, Silver Star, Kraken, Hasenhorn Rodelbahn (Alpine)
#6 "Psychological Tricks" : EuroSat (+ lights on), Karacho, Shockwave, SkyScream
#7 "Fun" : White Lightning, Badewannenfahrt zum Jungbrunnen (Tripsdrill), The Edge (Paultons), Poseidon

Last episode is a bit different, bit more explain-y;
#8 "Design" : Alpenexpress with/without the VR, Mack rides factory, Ferrari World construction, Skyplex (ha!), messing about in No Limits (presenter chap out-embarrassing the pet-goons here :) )

Seems like the presenter bits were filmed Autumn 2015, the pet-goons could perhaps tell us how long ago they were filmed? ;-)

Series has been airing on Sky in the UK since October I think though, so we are poor goons for not knowing about it before (you'd think
the pet-goons might have told us about it?). Might have only just all become available on line though (Here : https://www.insight.tv/category/science-of-thrills )

Good job overall though - wonder if they'll get to make any more and get a bit more variety (further than a trip to Spain, trip to Germany
and a bit of Florida I mean).

EDIT : slightly changed URL for the episodes ; https://www.insight.tv/category/science-of-thrills-1

Last edited: