What's new

RMC launches Family Hybrid Coasters

Hutch

Strata Poster
While it's great seeing RMC going into the family market, I'm wondering how they will stack up against the family Gravity Groups, quality wise. I imagine the airtime among the two manufactures will be similar, but GG has the good ol' woodie feel to its advantage.

Interested in what the price will be like as well. What, the GG's are only a few million, right? Is RMC able to compete with that?

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
While it's great seeing RMC going into the family market, I'm wondering how they will stack up against the family Gravity Groups, quality wise. I imagine the airtime among the two manufactures will be similar, but GG has the good ol' woodie feel to its advantage.

Interested in what the price will be like as well. What, the GG's are only a few million, right? Is RMC able to compete with that?
Yeah, this model really does seem to be directly competing with Gravity Group's family offerings. If the model layout had normal wooden coaster track, I'd definitely have confused it for a Gravity Group, not an RMC - the layout itself feels nearly identical to a Gravity Group's. I'm hoping that this'll stir Gravity Group to innovate again, as their last major development was inversions on wooden coasters circa 2013, whereas GCI's Titan Track came onto the scene last November and RMC just unveiled this family hybrid coaster (although you could consider that just a retooling of the I-Box coaster, so in that case RMC's last major development would've been the single rail coaster back in 2018). The point being, it's looking like Gravity Group will have to diversify their offerings to stack up against the competition and stand out once more.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Would anyone be able to make an NL2 recreation of RMC's NL2 recreation of their family coaster design? Really wouldn't mind seeing a mock POV of that coaster. :)

Hutch

Strata Poster
I imagine RMC intends for it to run faster than that recreation video, but the layout still doesn't seem as exciting as a Gravity Group.

It is funny seeing RMC going for a "standard" layout. Take away the creative twists, hills, overbanks, and of course the intensity, and you're left with this.

Ethan

Strata Poster
I'd be shocked if anyone actually buys one of these? Can't help but feel the same way I felt about the family invert B&M made.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I also feel like it will run faster than in that video, but I think that layout has some hidden surprises that will be more thrilling than expected. I wouldn't rule out it being better than the other family GG's just yet.

^I do sort of feel that way too, but their family inverts do virtually NOTHING differently to the Vekoma versions and cost more. At least the family RMC hybrid kind of has it's own niche, since it will be steel tracked rather than wood. But then again GCI also has a steel track so who knows.

Last edited:

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Sorry to double post, but the guy who made that POV admitted to not making the lift and drop tall enough, so he is gonna be releasing a new POV with that rectified.

EDIT:- Here is the updated POV, as you can see the ride is taller, running faster and the banking is more accurate. NGL it looks pretty good!

Honestly though I wish RMC would post an on-ride POV video of that coaster layout.

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
Out of interest, how does he know the height? I don’t think RMC put any stats for the stock layouts on the website, did they?

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Out of interest, how does he know the height? I don’t think RMC put any stats for the stock layouts on the website, did they?
You can make a guess based on the number of horizontal beams supporting the crest of the lift hill from this image:-

1621088312426.png

There are about 11 horizontal support beams below the lift crest, and assuming RMC are using the default NL2 settings for wood coaster structure generation (which it appears to), the height can be estimated. His original POV had a lift only 9 beams tall, the new POV has a lift with the correct 11 beams tall.

Since most woodies in real-life use an almost identical support structure to each other, if you compare the structure of this to other, real woodies and assume NL2's default generation settings are based on these real-life counterparts, the coaster is probably about 70ft tall. Not the best explanation but I hope you can make sense of this.

Last edited:

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Just thought I'd bring up the fact the train on this coaster will be longer than that of most similarly-sized family coasters. They are twice the length of any GG woodie of this scale. So I'm gonna imagine this ride will have some moments that are more intense than we are anticipating. Also probably the reason some are saying this coaster doesn't look as interesting as GG woodies, but of course, they are capable of doing tighter elements than this will be. So honestly I really do want one of these to be built, mostly because I'm curious as to how a longer train will affect a ride like this on a smaller scale (I guess it might be kind of similar to Wicker Man but with actual airtime?).

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
So there were rumours of an RMC for Walibi Belgium (if I remember correctly) and I am quite sure they are still super happy with the state of Loup Garou (which is still miles ahead of what Robin Hood was before it's makeover). Maybe this might be the good 2025 addition (between their Wild West and the bumper cars)