What's new

RMC Catwalks and Rails

BigBad

Mega Poster
Something about the classic wood coaster look is appealing, including the rails along the side.

Is there any engineering reason why RMCs don't have catwalks and rails along the track for most of the layout? I get why it's problematic when there are rolls beyond 90* (which they do plenty), but for when the banking isn't so extreme, it shouldn't matter. It works fine on El Toro and The Voyage.

If it's not an engineering reason, has anyone heard why they don't do it, or does anyone care to speculate? All I can think is that if they have to get rid of it for the overbanked turns, then "get rid of it for everything" could become the mindset. It's not like these are conventional wooden coasters, anyway.

Anyone with me that the look is just a little off?

(I have yet to ride an RMC, but I'm looking forward to ending that. They look like amazing rides.)

andrus

Giga Poster
The RMC coasters certainly have a different look to them than a traditional woodie with catwalks, that's for sure. If you like it or not is probably a personal opinion. I personally like variation :) hence I find it cool to see a manufacturer use a new way of building coasters!

The reason for RMC coasters lacking catwalks is simply due to that there's no need. Since RMC use steel for the running rails they don't need the daily maintenance of a regular woodie.