What's new

RMC 2017

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
The nuisance from Canada just sent me this from RMC's Instagram.

14101528_10154529880974198_1633806045_n.png

We know about SFNE's free spin but this is a train, and I think S&S makes the trains for those. So this is something full on RMC. Doubt it's for an I-box since no woodies closed in the right timeframe, so I bet it's either for a topper or t-rex.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Didn't want to start a new topic, but according to Screamscape, Fred Grubb and Alan Schilke have been spotted at Kennywood. Let's speculate.

CarolinaRider

Mega Poster
Two RMC's will be opening three hours away from each other in 2018. What a great time to live in! :--D

I heard about this rumor before Screamscape posted it.

Jarrett

Danny (one of the two brains behind Coaster-NET Uncut) posted to his Facebook that he saw Fred and Alan there as well around Thunderbolt when he was there this weekend. I wrote it off as him just being a goofball but this Screamscape rumor, if it's from somewhere other than him, would seem to confirm this to be more than just usual Danny shenanigans.

Honestly, I always felt this would be the most epic RMC of its size with the cliff and the rest of the layout, but I knew vile wooden coaster sympathizers would never take it sitting down, let alone the park's focus on conservation. However, the park still has Racer and Jack Rabbit. While Thunderbolt is the best of the three, Jack Rabbit has that legendary blast of ejector with no bar that they probably don't want to lose, and Racer has that historic station and lacks potential with how close together the tracks are, leaving Thunderbolt the most rational choice.

This does bring up another concern, however, the terrain. Most RMCs can take those high points of rides and drop them as much as they need to get some good power through the new element. However, on some of Thunderbolt's turns, it's practically sitting on the ground, leaving nowhere lower to go, the same issue I thought would arise if they were to ever RMC Boulder Smash. Alan's an amazing engineer and I know he can work around it (RMC even said on Facebook they do better when they have restrictions), but I bet whatever we see ends up being a stroke of genius...probably in the form of an outward banked turn.

I'm all for this happening, giving me an RMC to day trip to out of my grandparents' house, but mother of god I do not want to return to that dump.

I told Emily when we left back in June (when I already dreaded going back to begin with) that the only thing that could drag me back into that **** dump was an RMC. My stupid **** mouth...

CarolinaRider

Mega Poster
I don't think they would be converting any of their coasters. They recently purchased some land running down a hillside near the park.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Yeah, I doubt it'll be an Iron Horse. Kennywood is known for being a classic park with loads of older attractions, but with a small lick of modernity. A new RMC would be a great way to improve their modern side of things.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Jarrett

^^Exactly where is this land? I did see some land on a steep hill on a 3D map of the place behind Jack Rabbit. Where is it? If I could pinpoint this land on a map that could make things a bit easier.

Jarrett

7HebJAf.jpg

So this is the land they would have bought. Seems like a pretty steep drop, like all they could do with that would be a terrain coaster. I could see a sort of mashup between Outlaw Run and Boulder Dash popping up there, I'd be totally down.

Ugh might actually have to go back in 2018 I legit just threw up in my mouth a little.

Shirofukurou

Mega Poster
There would be riots if the park Iron Horsed any of their three wood coasters. It's not just wood purists, it's the town of Pitt as a whole that recognizes their importance and status as city history and iconography.

That being said, an original RMC would almost certainly make Kennywood a top three park for me! Already, they have four of my favorite coasters, plus an excellent flat collection, good food, and a picturesque location. RMC would complement the three existing wood coasters and make the lineup truly world class.

Jarrett

I never really got the hype for Kennywood's lineup. Honestly the place is quirky fun at best. Phantom is okay but it's still painful in spots, Thunderbolt is the only wooden coaster I've seen that does the whole laterals thing right, Exterminator spins like crazy if it's loaded properly (sometimes the ride ops are too stupid to do this, I once saw them only putting one person per bench and automatically cutting capacity in half), Jack Rabbit is lame bar the one pop of ejector, Sky Rocket's got some good floater to it, and Racer's just garbage. Their coasters are just unique and fun at best, nothing incredible though.

And considering that to get to it you have to go through finding the park in the biggest ghetto ever, getting frisked by some big scary security guy on the way in, and walking through a tunnel only to find a poorly maintained crumbling dump with idiotic operations, there's nothing about the park that makes it one of the best. Honestly if you ask me, it's one of the worst.

An RMC would be the best thing in the park but they'll need to do a lot more to keep it from being the root canal it is at the moment, starting in the operations department.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Pretty much my thoughts on Kennywood, though I can't remember any issues with security or operations. I'm not saying there weren't any, but it was 6 years ago and I just can't remember now.

I just found it to be a dump with a very lacklustre line up of rides. Phantom's Revenge was very good, Thunderbolt was ok, and the rest was s**t.

Jarrett

UPDATE: After seeing the Screamscape post, Danny admitted he was trying to ruffle the RMC fanboys' feathers and it got out of hand. He was, indeed, just trolling. No confirmation on any link between Danny's prank and the Screamscape post has been confirmed but many think one of his Facebook friends sent it to Lance.

So anything Kennywood bar the purchased land is hogwash. Carry on.

CarolinaRider

Mega Poster
Yeah, I figured it was a bit weird that Fred Grubb and Alan Schilke were the only ones spotted at the park.

With that being said, I still believe an RMC is coming to Kennywood in 2018.