What's new

Riding with back injury/pain

Karen

Hyper Poster
Help and advise needed from you wonderful people.

January 19th I had a car rear end me at a junction. I was leaning forward looking up and down a sloped junction when I was hit so instead of a whiplash, the force hit me in the base of the spine, travelled up and branched across at the top. Due to the ongoing pain I was referred for an MRI. The results have shown multi disc dehydration (spine's shock absorbers are not spongy anymore) and there is facet arthropathy at L5/S1 (arthritis where the spine meets the pelvis). This has all been exasperated by the accident but would of been there before hand (no symptoms). Also the Doctor believes that I have Spondylitis which causes inflammation mainly of the spine but also other parts of the body. Again this was there before the accident and answers a few medical problems I've had for years.

Basically I've been told not to do anything that causes high impact on my spine, this includes things like running, tap dancing and ROLLERCOASTERS! I never suffered with my back and rollercoasters before this but right now I can't be in a car for more than about 20-30mins without repercussion.

I know there are many of you out there that also suffer with your backs, any help and advice greatly received.

Cheers

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Terminology I unfortunately know all to well!!!

I've got a whole slew of injuries that surgery would clear up, but it isn't an option because insurance co are cheap, but to be honest, the best rule is to cut out anything intense, rough, etc. It's been nearly three years for me and while I finally got some relief, I have trouble trusting my limits, which is what it truly comes down to.

I went from being on heavy painkillers 4x a day, and now I'm twice. When I was on four, I wouldn't have even gone on a carousel. Now? Well I have Disneyland passes and I ventured on to Space Mountain last visit, which was probably about the max intensity I can do. Afterwards I do need meds and have some other remedies that help.

I can provide you with a lot more info if you like, but really, if sitting ina car is bad, you should definitely avoid any coasters for the time being, especially on shorter journeys. Back injuries are very complex and hard for people to understand who don't know the pain that it causes for even the smallest activity. Don't think of how much fun x will be, think of how much added pain x will cause, and way if it is worth it. That's my motto.

S

SimonSays99

Guess depends if your backpain is caused by muscular or skeletal problems. If the latter avoid all rides. If the first try to use only rides with body-contoured seats like modern Intamin and B&M seating.

but reading you explanation I think you have a skeletal problem with the spine bones and shock-absorbing discs - so do not do any rides until this is cured.

I seldom have muscular problems with my lower back which dissipate within 2-3 weeks - normally a torn muscle during a wrong movement while working out. I have found that rides with body-contoured seats are okay while I have more problems with for example restaurant seating during this weeks...

rob666

Hyper Poster
Had a lot of back problems over the years...
Wait a few weeks,
if you feel the pain is easing,
start with the most gentle rides,
and slowly move on up over time.
Always take some painkillers with you to the park,
never overdo it on the day,
as you may pay for it later,
and hot/cold treatments work best for pain relief for me.

I'm now back on the Wild Mouse at Blackpool,
which is about as rough as you can get in England!

Karen

Hyper Poster
Thanks for the input guys. I'm still taking it steady at the moment. I hope things are not as bad over the summer holidays. I get 7 weeks off working in a school, planning to go Alton Towers in the first week so if I do have any reprecussions riding Nemesis for one last time..........I will have time to recover.

Karen

Hyper Poster
Well Alton Towers won't be happening. Situation is improving but still not good. :( Just the thought of riding Squirrel Nutty makes me wince....