What's new

Riding Coasters in the Rain

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
I just rode Leviathan yesterday front row in the pouring rain. I didn't find it unpleasant at all. If anything it made the ride seem more exciting. I can't say that I've ridden to many coasters in the rain. I tend to avoid going on days like that... though sometimes its unavoidable.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
I can't think of a single coaster offhand that I know I have ridden while it was raining. It's always been my experience that they close most coasters during rain storms at the parks I've visited.

I guess I'm also fortunate in that I haven't spent many days at parks where I've had to contend with rain. The last really rainy day I can recall spending at a park was at Kings Dominion back in 08 or 07. When they closed all the coasters except Flight of Fear, my friends and I just whored the drop tower over & over, which was quite fun in the rain. I remember we would hold out our hands with the palms down and feel the raindrops hitting the underside of them as the car picked up speed!

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Depends on what kind of rain and what kind of coaster.

A gentle mist on an "average" coaster is no big deal.

Torrential downpours on bigger rides tend to not be fun.

Luxornv

Mega Poster
djR3Z said:
Millennium Force at night in the summer = Worse than rain

Freakin bugs, man

Front row of Dragster is the same way. I remember getting off of that and there were bugs plastered all over my face and shirt. It was rather disgusting.

Colossus

Giga Poster
Thekingin64 said:
Velocity Definitely gets rougher in rain.

I had my most amazing ride on Velocity in the rain, because the ease of the restraint system I was able to pull my fleece over my head it was really fun. I have the picture somewhere.

Radaxian said:
Riding Saw in heavy rain, with it's vertical lift, is great fun. That got me wetter than Tidal Wave.

Try being stuck on the vertical lift for half an hour in the rain, that is no fun whatsoever.

Stealth on the front row, in the rain is a vile experience.