What's new

Rides you used to love.

Snoo

The Legend
Opposite of the other thread. Name some coasters that you used to be all hot and bothered for.

For myself, definitely has to be Millennium Force. While I still acknowledge it in my top 20 or so, it used to be in my top 5.

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster
Oblivion at Alton Towers. At one time this was my second favourite coaster, but it soon became predictable and boring. Oblivion just doesn't do anything for me any more.

Kebab

Giga Poster
Shockwave at Drayton Manor, was my first major coaster so it has a special place for me, but the more new rides i experience the more I think Shockwave is dire.

I really enjoyed Saw: The Ride when it first opened, not sure what's happened to it now...

Colossus

Giga Poster
Saw would be it for me. I loved it for the first two years of existence, but in 2011 I fell back in love with Oblivion and Saw started to become uncomfortable and less enjoyable. So now I`m not fused if I don`t ride it.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I'm with Snoo on MF, though I still rank it rather high. It's hard to truly put a finger on any single roller coaster - I simply have ridden better ones, regardless of how much I enjoy it.

Lofty

CF Legend
Air. I genuinely don't care if I don't get on it. I used to love it, but over the years it's really started to bore me :(

Tony

Hyper Poster
Stampida - Used to love it, great pacing and airtime. Also had one fantastic ride at night in the backseat and it was insane. Then Kumbak came along and turned it into a rough piece of crap thats hardly worth riding.

Still hoping those trains tear up the track, forcing PA to retrack it and buy new trains :p .

Error

Strata Poster
Magnum xl 200. It used to be my favorite coaster, but the more well traveled I got the lower it got.

MilF honestly got tired quickly. It still is fun, but I'd rather go on other rides than wait an hour for it.

Sent while out and about

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Tony said:
Stampida - Used to love it, great pacing and airtime. Also had one fantastic ride at night in the backseat and it was insane. Then Kumbak came along and turned it into a rough piece of crap thats hardly worth riding.

Still hoping those trains tear up the track, forcing PA to retrack it and buy new trains :p .

This. Stampida was made to be run with PTC's not with the current crappy Kumbak contraption with square wheels...

I used to love EVERY single bit of Stampida, first drop (back seat), the double-up, the double-down, the pace and the perfect synch throughout the whole ride. When the ride was swapped to the new trains it lost that 'kick' it used to have and became so unbearable that nowadays it's the only ride I never care/want to ride, even when it has a short line.

Brett7710

Mega Poster
PMBO and Grand National, I used to really look forward to riding them, now PMBO seems boring for the most part and not very comfortable, Nash is just plain rough.

I'd almost say Colossus at Thorpe but that's probably because I rode it in the back of one of the cars and I couldn't move, I need to be in the front of the cars for legroom.

Saw also seemed to shake about which I don't remember it doing beforee.

dominoes

Mega Poster
Nemesis at Alton Towers. Was my number one, but as I have gotten older, I have found inverted coasters more and more boring. For some reason, Nemesis was the worst for me. I actually prefer Vampire.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
ThunderCoaster.

Poor thing. It got a reprofiling by GCI in the parts where it needed it the least. The awesome parts were dulled out, the hurtful parts still hurt.

It used to haul you around the layout. Now it just... beats you.

Ashstrodamus

Mega Poster
The Rebel Yell at Kings Dominion. Now the ride beats you up too bad. I felt like I had just gone 12 rounds with Manny Pacquaio.

reddude333

Giga Poster
I'd have to say just about everything at Disneyland. It was the place where I really opened up and got on fire for roller coasters (even thought it wasn't where I rode my first). Most of the coasters there have sentimental value to me, and no doubt they all have good theming, but they just got severely outdone the more I rode roller coasters.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
^I feel the same about WDW with the exception of Space Mountain. It's not the tallest or fastest, but it's always enjoyable.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Brett7710 said:
PMBO and Grand National, I used to really look forward to riding them, now PMBO seems boring for the most part and not very comfortable, Nash is just plain rough.

Same here. I used to adore both rides (I've been riding The Nash since 1983 or so that I can remember) but I avoid them like the plague these days. I will ride if there's a "special reason", but I just can't be doing with the 90% chance of so much discomfort for so little enjoyment.

Don't get me wrong, both rides are actually very good if you're in the right seat, on the right train at the right time - it's just not worth the risk of getting a bad ride for me now. It just nails more and more coffin nails in the rides for me. I'd rather remember them as being fun, frantic and exciting.

Crzynss

Roller Poster
I grew up thinking inverted coasters where the best thing since sliced bread after riding Batman, my first ever roller coaster. No other invert to this day, has replaced it, it may feel slower to me today as an adult, but even Montu @BGT couldnt even top it. To this day, Batman has a spot carved into my top 5 for life!