What's new

Rides spoiled by trim brakes.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
What rides out there have been spoiled by these cheeky buggers preventing what would be some awesome airtime or luscious laterals?

Obvious answer from me is Thirteen at Alton Towers, the first drop is completely ruined by the heavy trims and without these the woodland race section would be much much better.

Mako looks to be heavily trimmed but it also seemingly gets rave reviews which leads to another question, in your opinion have trims ever benefited a ride?

jayjay

Giga Poster
Silver Star's another obvious one. I've heard fantastic reviews from people who've ridden it without trims, but I got the version where it crawls over the 'airtime' hills.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Silver Star's another obvious one. I've heard fantastic reviews from people who've ridden it without trims, but I got the version where it crawls over the 'airtime' hills.
When was this Jay? I rode it in 2013 and 2015(iirc) and it was trimless.

So it doesn't ruin the ride at all, but Fury's trim before the helix is an annoyance as the helix is the only part of the ride I didn't love, as it was taken rather slowly.
Imagine to extreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeme ejector on the final few hills if that trim didn't shave off the 5 or so mph....

Kanonen's launch into trim must be up there as one of the worst though.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
^ Funny that you mention it, I've also ridden Silver Star in 2013 and 2015, without trims and it's amazing. As for my answer to this topic, probably Thirteen. It could've been a great family coaster but now it's just urgh <//3

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Can't think of anything completely spoiled, but it does damage the experience a little.
Mostly Intamin in my experience:
EGF, Taron, Euro Express, Atlantis Adventure.
All great rides, but left me thinking it could have been even better.

Do pussy Yarmouth/Margate brakemen count?

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Flash at Lewa Adventure looks amazing, but the trims before each airtime hump is heartbreaking and makes you wonder "what if?"...

DelPiero

Strata Poster
April this year. Maybe it was trimless and it just is that slow. Also, there was hail. Do not recommend Silver Star + hail.
Anything with hail sucks, did Rita in the hail once, scarred me for life!
Was there any airtime on the first hill? There's no trim on that and if that had no airtime it was just running slow.

TLARides

Hyper Poster
The one thing, and the only thing, about Beast that I hate are those trim breaks before the second tunnel. The ride was so much better before they started doing that.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

VTCGA5

Roller Poster
Not completely spoiled but
rbbrakes_209.jpg

BigBad

Mega Poster
Intimidator 232

B&M Hypers are pretty good rides, but this one just didn't have enough speed over those hills to give proper airtime, and it generally felt sluggish. I could see and hear it being trimmed as I walked into the park, too. It was depressing.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Mako's trims didn't bother me, and I can't really think of any other rides I've experienced that trims actually ruined the ride. I've done Thirteen once, but I didn't know/notice that there were any trims then.

As for rides that benefit from trims, maybe Boulder Dash? There's a slight trim before the turnaround, you hear it but it doesn't really tug the train. The elements following it are taken at a perfect pace, so maybe without that trim the ride would start to be a little too much.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Intimidator 232

B&M Hypers are pretty good rides, but this one just didn't have enough speed over those hills to give proper airtime, and it generally felt sluggish. I could see and hear it being trimmed as I walked into the park, too. It was depressing.
Oh god yes! It's not so bad when you're in the front of the train as there's still some floater but the middle or back was a non event as the trims killed any speed.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
I305.

/End of thread

Yes this one is a bitch! Really slows the last bit down of the ride down. It's not like it's actually slow, just everything before the trim is so ridiculously fast. Still my favourite coaster though, which shows how far ahead of everything else it is for me.