What's new

Ride The Ducks Branson Boat Capsizes

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...at-capsizes-table-rock-lake-today-2018-07-19/

Sad news out of Branson as of last night. A Ride The Ducks boat carrying 31 people took on too much water and capsized, killing 11 people, some of which were children. Looks like a typical “weather got too bad too fast” boating situation, though landlocked Branson isn’t the first place you’d think about that happening. Extremely tragic what happened, definitely not a good week for the industry after both this and the Pakistan flat ride. :(

Not done much boating myself (though I love maritime infrastructure) but having seen how Lake Erie can get when the weather gets bad I can understand how it could still happen in a water body like Table Rock Lake.

Never done a Ride The Ducks (though I’ve been in other duck boats once or twice) but I remember seeing it on Joel Manby’s Undercover Boss episode. At least at one point I know it was owned by Herschend, Wikipedia says that the Branson location was kept when they sold a lot of it off but the article cited Ripley Entertainment as the owner. Does anybody know if Herschend actually still has any involvement in this service?

davidm

Strata Poster
I have been on THAT Ride-the-Ducks :( , you have to wonder why they went into the water in the first place. Horrific stuff if you see the videos on the news.

They have lifejackets onboard (well flotation devices really) as you can see in my pic (big splash when it first hits the water) - you are quite low down to the water when it is in float-mode.
19016603948_81490c7eef_z.jpg

EDIT : seems the storm came on pretty quick so it was much calmer when they entered the water, but radar-weather forecasts you would think. Ugh.

EDIT2 : seventeen people - just horrible.

Last edited:

thecraneguy

Roller Poster
oh no!

Also, holy s:emoji_fearful:t. Death toll is now 17. What the ever living f:emoji_zipper_mouth:k happened?

Last edited by a moderator: