What's new

Ride Hopper on Android

Inverse

Hyper Poster
I've been using an app called "Ride Hopper" (lite version) on my android. It's a user based queue time notifier. It's pretty neat but needs people at the parks to keep it accurate.

For instance, sitting at home I can tell you that Saw is down and Colossus is queuing for 95mins. Pretty cool.

I was just wondering whether anyone else uses it? Also thought I'd post about it to encourage android users to use it to increase accuracy for everyone. :)

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I don't even know what an android (for the purposes of this topic) is. Can you get the same app for the iPhone?

As you said, it requires other people to be in the park and using it, which, unless a lot of people a. have the hardware required, b. have the app installed, and c. can be **** ed to update it every time they ride something means that it's highly likely to be horribly inaccurate.

If it's on the iPhone, then obviously more people have the potential to use it, but even then you're relying on people knowing about, and having the app, before even dealing with the issue of whether people are going to be bothered to update the information.

If the info was updated by the park, it could be very useful, but since Thorpe rarely have accurate information even on the display boards around the park, I wouldn't put too much faith in the information given.

Basically: waste of **** ing time and effort.

jokerman

Giga Poster
Inverse said:
For instance, sitting at home I can tell you that Saw is down and Colossus is queuing for 95mins.

I could have guessed that much without the need for a phone.

Not enough people use android phones currently for it to be worth bothering. Give it a year and it might start being useful. Although, they have info boards at parks that give you the information anyway, so why bother with the hassle of getting your phone out?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
jokerman said:
Although, they have info boards at parks that give you the information anyway, so why bother with the hassle of getting your phone out?
Ideal for after lunch or whatever. These boards aren't everywhere. Imagine you've just queued up 90mins for Colossus and want another ride with a shorter queue and there are no boards around, this app would be useful.

But yeah, as with any information, it's only good if it's correct.

davidm

Strata Poster
Just a comment about iPhone / Android smartphone market penetration;

Sales upto end of Q2 2010 globally, iOS (i.e. iPhone) is running at ~14%, Android at ~17%. Symbian (Nokia) is market leader at ~41%, RIM (Blackberry) at ~18%

Source : http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=1421013

(specifically "Table 2")

--

So apps being on Android ain't so bad!

However all the "rubbish in rubbish out" comments are pretty accurate.... and if the app is pants, that ain't going to help either!

EDIT : app info here http://www.ridehopper.com/default.aspx

and here

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ride-Hopper/353173627166

Seems it is on iPhone as well

jjjjustin

Hyper Poster
i used it in SFGAd and it didn't work because there is no one using it so.... I really think six flags,universal,alton towers, ect should make an app for that i mean its useful and helpful and i would pay 2.50 for that.(only if it work for every park in the six flags chain)

i believe there is a type of app that is like that but it is for iphone os and not android os