What's new

Removal of G-Force at Drayton Manor (2005 - 2018)

FearlessHarmony

Roller Poster
Absolutely gutted :( I went in May 2018 for the first time in years since I was a little kid and I was gonna go on it but it was shut. I think it broke down but I'm gutted I never got to ride it

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
Tbf despite it being a pretty cool cred the ride itself was so uncomfortable i honestly am not too upset about it going.
Maybe they will take it down to build a new coaster in the next century or something..

Matt N

CF Legend
I have an update for you all regarding G-Force; according to George Bryan, the manager of the park, Drayton Manor is currently in the process of selling G-Force. They plan to retheme the surrounding area to a seaside area and replace G-Force with a water play area containing a "small family track ride" in 2020. If you're wondering where I got this info from, it's all in this very interesting Blooloop interview with George Bryan: https://blooloop.com/features/drayton-manor-family-park/ (It's a very interesting read, with some other interesting info in there!)

Very interesting news; we'll have to see what happens here!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I have an update for you all regarding G-Force; according to George Bryan, the manager of the park, Drayton Manor is currently in the process of selling G-Force. They plan to retheme the surrounding area to a seaside area and replace G-Force with a water play area containing a "small family track ride" in 2020. If you're wondering where I got this info from, it's all in this very interesting Blooloop interview with George Bryan: https://blooloop.com/features/drayton-manor-family-park/ (It's a very interesting read, with some other interesting info in there!)

Why, just why. They need a new coaster.

I hope it ends up going to another UK park, such as PWH or LWV.

Matthew Fair

Mega Poster

Everyone: I cant wait to see what coaster replaces G-Force
Drayton: HaVe A sMalL fAmIlY tRaCk RiDe

Matt N

CF Legend
Why, just why. They need a new coaster.

I hope it ends up going to another UK park, such as PWH or LWV.
Everyone: I cant wait to see what coaster replaces G-Force
Drayton: HaVe A sMalL fAmIlY tRaCk RiDe
It's probably worth noting that Drayton has substantially shifted its target audience since the era in which rides like G-Force, Shockwave and Apocalypse were built. Thomas Land was such a success that it changed everything for them; they very much aim for the young families market now, and I think they do that very well, personally!

As @CrashCoaster said, though, I hope G-Force stays within the UK; I would quite like to experience it for myself!

Have they edited it out of the article now?

Mitchell

Roller Poster
Drayton's my home park and I've got to love 'em but everytime I see them mentioned I always react the same way...

tenor.gif

JordynL99

Roller Poster
Drayton is also my home park - in fact G-Force was my first thrill ride, closely followed by Shockwave. While it wasn't comfortable from the minute the lap-bar crushed your ribs (only to be pushed further down by the staff) till the second you managed to escape, it was an enjoyable ride. Doesn't look like i will be returning any time soon as I can't say i fit into the 'young families' bracket LOL

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Drayton is also my home park - in fact G-Force was my first thrill ride, closely followed by Shockwave. While it wasn't comfortable from the minute the lap-bar crushed your ribs (only to be pushed further down by the staff) till the second you managed to escape, it was an enjoyable ride. Doesn't look like i will be returning any time soon as I can't say i fit into the 'young families' bracket LOL
We still enjoyed our day there this year, it’s still just about got enough to do. I’d say enjoy it while you still can, because if their attitude and direction stays the same, you’ll soon be right, and it won’t be a fully fledged theme park any longer, but for now, still a nice day out. :)

jjwitton94

Roller Poster
Drayton Manor for me is a park I've always admired definitely one of my favourite parks as school kid. Unfortunately I've found it to become more and more younger children (not older than 7) friendly than 'family' friendly. I see Flamingo land, Chessington and to an extent Alton Towers as better models and more family friendly, with the variety of rides they have to offer. The sad truth is Drayton Manor is seeing many rides go or become SBNO and nothing is really replacing them.

If they want to go more down the route of Thomas land and this younger market then whats the point of Apocalypse, Shockwave or Maelstrom when these children can't go on these rides? Then the park will say we are closing them because of low ridership. Knowing some of the staff at the park (also a former one too) many are concerned to what actually 'family friendly park' means. Does it mean more of the following the Thomas Land model and the death of the main park, which many don't feel would work. Or the model that Flamingo land, Chessington and Alton Towers have, a good selection of rides for all ages. As many families contains a variety of ages and preferences for rides. For instance my family has one child who loves both parts of the park, the other only Thomas Land and third only the Thrill part.

If they start to lose more of the bigger rides I can't see myself or family coming back as you have far better park options about. Is this the end of Drayton Manor? Perhaps who knows. What I feel is this ten year plan will either make or break Drayton Manor and then really need to decide what family friendly model they are going for. Me personally I would not put all my eggs into Thomas Land. Get another thrilling family coast open Drayton!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
The one thing I do hate, is people saying they’re moving more towards the family market... No they’re not, a family park means something for all members of a family to enjoy... It’s exactly what they already were, and for the most part still are. They’re moving towards becoming a children’s park.

Disney, universal, Alton Towers = family theme park. A good mix of small and big rides

Gullivers, Twinlakes etc = children’s park, all small rides