What's new

Relocated London Dungeons at County Hall

sparky2u

Mega Poster
Ethan said:
Where is Extremis on these new plans? :(

It's being re-built as this pic shows & the ride is on the 1st set of plans along the bottom:

72800_547180568626931_1407746529_n_zpse3b27bc1.jpg

Lofty

CF Legend
Finally the first construction shot. I wonder if it's going to be a top-loading one like it was rumoured to be?

Martyn B

CF Legend
I actually liked the old setting for the Dungeons, down Tooley Street. Business wise I can see why they're moving, but IMO it will loose a lot of it's creepyness.

nadroJ

CF Legend
^Pretty much what I said haha XD

It'll be a bit stupid if it's a top loading tower, they lose part of the ride in my opinion.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Top loading in my opinion makes much more sense than the original Extremis. You don't get hoisted to the top and then dropped in a real hanging, do you? No, so lets all drop to our deaths the proper way. If they do the theming and buildup the same sorta way Sub Terra is done, then I think it'll be great.

Ethan

Strata Poster
^ This! Top loading will only work if there is a just pre-drop show in my opinion. Otherwise there would be no build up.

sparky2u

Mega Poster
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/trave ... stock.html

The new attraction will feature new costumes, theatrical sets and props, meaning all its blood-curdling kit will be up for grabs at the sale on Sunday, February 3.

Items on offer include an “array of torture and surgical equipment”, “severed limbs”, “false eyeballs”, "plague doctor's potions", "Sweeney Todd razors", shackles and chains and blood-stained period costumes. The odd human skeleton and a set of authentic stocks, which have held several famous names – including Jonathan Ross, Christina Aguilera, Michael Douglas and Alice Cooper – will also go on sale.

The “Carnage Boot Sale” takes place on February 3, from 11.30am, at Pimlico Car Boot Sale, Lupus Street, London, SW1V 3AT.

Ollie

CF Legend
Looking at the layout it definitely seems to be top loaded as the route takes you up to the top floor and the exit after is on the ground floor.
Can't wait to see how it turns out though. Only thing I'm not keen on is the modern entrance and the fact that going up and down stairs may break up the flow of the attraction.

Lofty

CF Legend
So, I went to the Car boot thing they did, it was just a PR stunt, which we all knew. It was so funny, the Early Bird option HAD to be done, otherwise you'd have ended up with a glass bottle... We managed to get some costumes for future productions so it was all good. The most interesting part was seeing the new styling in person;

As you all will know from the website and if you've heard the rumours, it's true, there's a whole new styling happening to The Dungeons. It's a goodbye in the way of blood and gore and hello into an eerie ghost story like way of design. Their new characters are more family orientated in their makeup design and don't have the usual cuts etc, but instead, have a "Real" feel about them. Their costumes are absolutely incredible and the way they were interacting with guests was completely different to their old approach. It's worth a thought about wether all of the characters are going to have this new style of performance, which in my opinion, may actually be what's going to happen, as you've seen, The Dungeons is "ALL NEW" when it opens in it's new location.

peep

CF Legend
Sounds rather interesting and slightly less intimidating which is nice.

I was looking at the 'map' on the website last night and I think it sounds great, actually looking forward to this opening.

Lofty

CF Legend
^ Did you read any of what I put? ;)

It is losing a lot of it's gore, especially the needless cuts and blood on the characters. I don't know about the sets, but in my opinion, unless it needs blood and dismembered body parts in the scene (autopsy, doctor guillotine etc), DON'T put them in.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Lofty said:
It is losing a lot of it's gore, especially the needless cuts and blood on the characters.

I've always wondered about that, always felt really random, especially the Jack the Ripper girls. (I mean the ones leading you through the story, not the dead ones XD)

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Lofty said:
^ Did you read any of what I put? ;)

It is losing a lot of it's gore, especially the needless cuts and blood on the characters. I don't know about the sets, but in my opinion, unless it needs blood and dismembered body parts in the scene (autopsy, doctor guillotine etc), DON'T put them in.

And you didn't fully understand.. I meant the sets ;)

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
It will be interesting to see what 'feel' the new Dungeons do put accross. I don't know if any of you have been in the Warwick Castle dungeons since they added the new final scene last year (The Witches of Warwick)? That for me is the best Dungeons show I've ever been in - actually genuinely scary the first time too. I can see a similar show setup being very effective if used in the new Jack The Ripper scene at London.

marc

CF Legend
Wish they would just go back to how it was when I was 12. It was just a walk through with no stupid groups and actors, it was so much better back then.

Lofty

CF Legend
Ethan said:
Mark, what did you mean by them "interacting differently"? How did they? :)
Instead of just being a 'Scare Character' they were actually aiming most of the interacting back to their main character. It's hard to explain, but a lot of Dungeons St Theatre are just 'Scare Characters based on Real people', whereas the new ones were more factual on the character and trying to be realistic in their approach, it's ever so hard to explain.

marc said:
Wish they would just go back to how it was when I was 12. It was just a walk through with no stupid groups and actors, it was so much better back then.
BUT, the acting is what's made them so successful to be totally fair. It must be so hard though, having a good attachment to the Dungeons and seeing it move from it's original home!