What's new

Recording 3D rides on GoPro

Andy__

Roller Poster
I’m looking for some advice.

My daughter likes recording ride pov’s, she’s done some good ones in England and Florida.

The problem comes with 3D rides. They look awful on film. Obviously.
Eg star tours at wdw and ninjago at legoland.

I kept a pair of 3D glasses from legoland, and thought I could take 1 of the lenses out, tape it over the GoPro lens, which would filter out 1 of the camera angles.
I have no idea if it would work.
(I’m not talking about the red/green lenses, but the new ones that have some weird filter)

Does anyone know if this would work ???

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It would work in the sense that the GoPro would only record the one channel. You'd lose the 3D effect, and likely get a strange colour distortion (although probably reasonably minimal with the newer 3D polarised lenses). You'd have to make sure you kept the lens the right orientation as the original glasses, otherwise you'd get something a bit strange (I assume they're perpendicularly polarised in real life, but I don't actually know).

I think it might be one to just accept its going to look crappy? After all, the stuff that looks best on GoPro is the stuff under a nice blue sky!

Andy__

Roller Poster
It would work in the sense that the GoPro would only record the one channel. You'd lose the 3D effect, and likely get a strange colour distortion (although probably reasonably minimal with the newer 3D polarised lenses). You'd have to make sure you kept the lens the right orientation as the original glasses, otherwise you'd get something a bit strange (I assume they're perpendicularly polarised in real life, but I don't actually know).

I think it might be one to just accept its going to look crappy? After all, the stuff that looks best on GoPro is the stuff under a nice blue sky!
That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks!
I remember as a kid dismantling polarised glasses, and how the tint would change by rotating the lens.
It's gotta be worth a go!!