What's new

Re-ridability of Good but intense coasters

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
Usually a sign of a great cred is that you want to jump straight back on it, But what coasters have you ridden that you've enjoyed/loved/thought were great, but pretty intense/a bit too intense for you - that you either couldn't ride again (that day) or had to leave a gap of time before re-riding.

I came across this situation at Universal Japan with Flying Dinosaur, great coaster, but I'll admit it left me nauseous, and a bit head-rattled, i was buzzing but at the same time had that 'right I need a break now' feeling. I did ride it again, but about 4 hours later!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
The one that came to mind right away, which must say something, is Skyrush.

I rode it five times on the day I was there, but couldn't do more than two back-to-back rides on it. I found the discomfort on my thighs too much for proper multiple laps. Thankfully the park wasn't busy, so it was no effort to go ride some of the other rides (Storm Runner <3), before hopping back for a couple of laps.

Not sure anything else comes to mind. I have done several very intense rides (thinking like Dinoconda), but I didn't have the opportunity to marathon them, so couldn't be sure really.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
As Hixee said, two easy contenders:
- Skyrush. It is an amazing coaster (current #1) but it is phisically demanding.
- Eejanaika (Dinoconda clone). I was blown away by how intense that thing really is. It was a mix of roughness (bounciness of trains?) and intensity of the maneuvers that make it hard to reride it straight away. Strangely enough, when I was at FujiQ, despite reading on numerous sites about the horrid lines, the line never reached more than 30 minutes, which was enough time to recover.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Lech at Legendia is the best example for me.

Rode it, was super intense, but there was no queue so hoped straight back on, near the back. Even more intense, and needed a break for a few hours. Did it 2 more times over the course of the day, but really couldn't manage more. It's a brilliant coaster, but the pull out from the first drop and into the first inversion just gets you every time and drains you.

Real shame, cos otherwise it would have been an easy Top-10 cred for me.

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Same with me regarding Lech. It was walk on all day (most of the time you could stay in your seat) but four rides back to back was my absolute limit. For a coaster that good I wish I could have mega whored it but that black out after the first inversion seemed too risky to repeat in quick succession.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Re-ridability is probably the quality I value most in a ride. Good roller coaster riding should not be conditional of having the just right seat at the just right time in the just right weather and in the just right mood; you should be able to repeatedly jump back aboard for a fun ride!

I can agree to not very re-ridable rides mentioned here: B&M Flyers, Arrow 4Ds, Intamin Hyper/Gigas can all be pretty intense and require a sitting out, or at least lose luster after a few rides. Ironically, much of my top 10 are not very re-ridable rides; SV, Voyage, X2, Skyrush all are ones I would probably air on the side of fewer rides than more.

Some of my top re-ridable rides, and reason why I still holdthem high in my rankings are Maverick, Ravine Flyer II, and Storm Chaser (Twisted Timbers too to a certain degree). All are easily marathonable, and will give just as good a ride the last time as the first time.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Batman at Six Flags Great Adventure is kind of like that for me. Probably not the most intense ride ever, but it has a bit of a kick to it since it isn't exactly smooth. So couple the fairly intense layout with a touch of pain in some of the transitions and it does become quite a difficult coaster to re-ride. That said, the Batman clone in Madrid I found was much more noticeably smoother, and thus, fairly re-rideable. Tornado at Bakken also springs to mind in this category (it seems to come up quite a lot in others too). Maybe even Baco, but I actually really enjoy Baco especially when I ride sporadically.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Think my current standout is Arashi. The only ride I can think of that somehow got more ridiculously intense on a revisit. Declared it a 'once a day' job straight after the first lap. Got coerced into a second anyway and suffered massively. A third would probably have killed me.
The already mentioned Eejaconda, Dinonaika and Flying Dino are probably true, but I was never in a position to marathon any of them.

Back in my earlier days, stuff like Blue Fire's final inversion slowed me down. I've got used to that sort of thing.
Bullet Coaster needed a sit down on a bench for 20 minutes to recover on a first visit, but I know that's not the case any more.
Kärnan's lap bar kills my legs, that slowed me down on the first visit.
Bailed out early on a Monster marathon at Walygator this year. Could have been more the fact it was 40 degrees.

Dare I say Smiler? Never tried it, but it fits the bill of 'I wouldn't try because of the intensity', while also toeing the line of 'I dont feel the need to try because it's not quite worthy of it'.

TPC

Roller Poster
Nemesis Inferno at night runs very intensely and 2 consecutive rides on it (stayed on the same train but did front and back row) was a bit much for me.

Peet

Giga Poster
Dare I say Smiler? Never tried it, but it fits the bill of 'I wouldn't try because of the intensity', while also toeing the line of 'I dont feel the need to try because it's not quite worthy of it'.
Yep you are correct, I found 3 consecutive rides is about the limit. To be fair after 3 rides you have been turned upside down 42 times which should be enough for anyone

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Voyage.
The first ride was absolutely brilliant, the second ride immediately afterwards caused my brain to haemorrhage.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Not possible to marathon due to awful throughput and overselling of fastrack. Don't think I've ever rode it more than once in a day, I'd rather **** in my hands and clap than wait in that queueline more than 30 mins.

You would be correct though, it's very disorienting and pretty rattly.

gad198

Roller Poster
The ones that come to my mind immediately are Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Voyage, and any B&M flyer with a pretzel loop. Come to think of it, Skyrush, I305 and Voyage are some of the most divisive coasters amongst enthusiasts.

streetmagix

Mega Poster
Wildfire at Kolmarden. The day I went there were zero queues and we could often switch seats in the station if the ride ops were OK with it. Around 3 laps was my limit, down to 2 laps towards the end of the day, before I needed a break. I think it's the variety of forces that did it, as I don't really have issues with high positive g-force.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Voyage.
The first ride was absolutely brilliant, the second ride immediately afterwards caused my brain to haemorrhage.
Yeah probably this. I can take a beating, and I love intense rides, but even I would struggle with marathoning this one, it's amazing tho.
I have no issue marathoning Skyrush btw, 15 consecutive rides :rolleyes:

b&mfanboy123

Mega Poster
SV, can be pretty exhausting,
Tatsu is a bit to much a after 4 rides.
LR Is to much after 3 times in a row.

I 305 can be handle at 5 rides in a row
Fury - 15 rides
Montu - 38 rides was a bit to much
Skyrush - 4 rides.