What's new

RCT3 Riders Choice -Time Machine

metalhead7

Mega Poster
Sorry about being so late posting this up.

The comp kind of ran out of steam at the end, but we have 3 entries here. Vote for each park on a scale of 1 to 10 and PM your vote to me. You don't have to be in the comp to vote, but if you are in the comp you must vote in order to gain the 5pts. You do not need to vote for your own park.

Voting Ends Sunday of Next Weekend!

Here are the entries in no particular order.

ENTRY 1

Folkescoombe Pleasure Gardens

An abridged extract from "A roller-coaster ride: The ups and downs of the British Seaside resort. Chapter 3: The Folkescoombe Folly"

Like many British seaside towns, it all started with a pier. Victorian gentle folk would flock to the towns to imbue the sea breeze from the end of the board-walk. There would often be a building at the end - form over function - and formal gardens along the sea front. Folkescoombe was no different in this respect. Despite a small section of sandy beach, they built it and the Victorians flooded in.

historyland1886.jpg

A view of Folkescoombe pier dated circa 1900. Taken from the Ferris Wheel

It wasn't long before the new technological marvels spreading across the globe reached the newly popularised seaside resorts like Folkescoombe. In 1898 they had installed a brand new Ferris Wheel, fresh from the US, and a carousel ride with hand carved horses - made in Birmingham and run by the De Ferrier family.

wheel1894.jpg

The wheel and carousel in 1894. At this time run by the De Ferrier family

When construction started on a copy of a De Marcus Thompson Switchback Railway in1894, the council moved in. They produced lease agreements for use of the land. Neither the De Ferriers or the Pea family who constructed the Switchback complained. Profits on these new forms of entertainment were massive. The cost of ride paid back thirty times over in a single year of operation.

1898 saw the introduction of a Figure 8 railway. The full circuit roller-coaster was an exceptionally popular new addition to Folkescoombe. While the sea front was still quite haphazard, visitor numbers increased at an astonishing rate. When the Elder De Ferrier died, Folkescoombe council wasted no time in buying back the lease for the land and the highly profitable wheel and carousel.

toboggan1898.jpg

One of the first rides to feature a lift hill, full circuit and anti-rollback mechanism - circa 1899

The seafront saw a very slow increase in attractions, there simply weren't the numbers of rides we see available today yet invented. The world was not alight with ride-fever and the primary reason for visiting the coast remained the beaches and piers.

There was certainly a move though in what people loved. In 1908, the Switchback Railway was demolished as preference for the more thrilling Figure 8 made the Pea family focus their energies there.

1908fromtheair.jpg

This unusual photo was taken from a hot air balloon ride in 1908 and shows both old and new technology, shortly before the older ride was demolished

Walter Pea, who now founded the "Folkescoombe Pleasure Gardens Co." invested heavily in the sea front. A Mill Ride was produced, with a fantastical and extremely exaggerated mountain scene frontage. He also brought in the first Lighthouse Slip (Helter Skelter) which proved to be a massively popular hit until its removal in 1936. Pea also rented out small huts for refreshment vendors, adding readily available food and drink to the Edwardian picnickers.

lighthouseslip.jpg

The Lighthouse Slip circa 1910 along the sea front walk, with the refreshment huts. The surreal mountain façade of The Mill can just be seen peeking around the back of the Figure 8

While the great war took its toll, Folkescoombe sea front and Folkescoombe Pleasure Gardens came back with a massive investment to reward those who had suffered so much. The council built a public "Lido" next to their wheel and carousel. The upper site would later become the infamous Peter Pan's Play Park - viciously shut down by the ever expanding empire of W. Pea.

Folkescoombe Pleasure Gardens certainly didn't rest. They took on more land and built a huge boating lake to compliment a new, Egyptian themed entrance area to the Mill ride. They also installed a new Ark ride, much like the carousel, only faster and more exciting.

However, their greatest development was the bold new roller-coaster, the "Great Cyclone"

aerialview.jpg

One of two rare photos of Great Cyclone in this layout. Taken from a bi-plane for postcards to sell to the public, it shows the whole of the Folkescoombe sea front early in 1923

Featuring the newly developed up-stop wheel technology, the Great Cyclone was a very different beast to the Figure 8. Steep drops and airtime inducing hills gave visitors to Folkescoombe a thrill like no other. The ride was said to cause ladies to faint just at the sight of the first drop. It opened to a clamouring public before the station had even been finished, and there were reports that the lift hill structure had only been finished the day before the visitors descended over Easter Weekend, 1923.

greatcyclone.jpg

The second of the rare 1923 photos. The station was never finished

On May 16th, disaster struck. A motor caught fire and the whole front section of the ride and station erupted in flames. Less than two months after it opened to the public, the Great Cyclone was a pile of ash.

Of course, that didn't stop Walter Pea, he allowed the ride to ride like a phoenix from the ashes and went on the conquer the Folkescoombe sea front; building the foundations for the park that defined the next three decades - as we'll see in the next chapter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ENTRY 2

Patriot's Pier

ZORnyoR.jpg

Since it is a boardwalk park there are no formal entrances, just pathways diverging from the boardwalk. The food stall is in the bottom left hand corner of the picture

gNOu0QY.jpg

Tumbler - one of the most innovative virginia reel designs in the country. It is meant to only run one car around the twisting portion of track, but on busy days ride operators would frequently break this rule. This resulted in many accidents and injuries which led to the demolition of the ride.

UH4SuYq.jpg

On ride picture.

amNrwQ1.jpg

The "Mega-Wheel" was one of the tallest in the world when it opened. It is still the most popular attraction at the park.

A5MGUQc.jpg

Today only the parachute tower and ferris wheel remain. The rest of the park has been converted into a strip mall.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ENTRY 3

Park Name: Spring Farm

Rides: "Twister" (Swinging Chair Ride)
Carousel
Helter Skelter
Water Slide (Splash Boats)
Side-Friction Coaster

Photographs:
2013-09-22_00001_zpse6b8ca20.jpg

2013-09-22_00005_zps1675fa16.jpg

2013-09-22_00004_zps88ed0bad.jpg

2013-09-22_00003_zps50865de7.jpg

2013-09-22_00002_zpsfc276f50.jpg

Park Description:

Situated near a natural spring, Spring Farm is an Amusement park suitable for all the family!

The newly opened park includes Britain's longest flume! With 5 excitement filled drops! Plunge into the valley below, and glimpse at the famous waterfall.

If you don't feel like being wet, then come along to the Paddock. Do not be fooled by this ride's name. Zip along tracks of wood at speed, adjacent to a real paddock. Races against the farm's horses on this exceptional ride.

For the younger members of the family, we have two superb rides. Merry-Go-Round, Helter-Skelter and Chair-swing will offer thrills to the smallest of people.

After all that excitement, unwind at our superb food stand. We provide tasty foods and drinks that come from our very own farm.

Relax as you stroll around our orchards. Or spot butterflies in our beautiful meadow. The famous Spring Waterfall is only a hundred yards away. Walk along our bridge that sits on the precipice of the falls.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
So is it just a simple thing where I send you:

Park A = 3/10
Park B = 5/10

Thing?

I ignore my park and that's it?

scw55

Hyper Poster
What criteria do we choose?

(I'd imagine vote on your own park if you had entered. We always have in previous contests)

JammyBand

Roller Poster
I did say a long time ago I would say what I made for this contest, since my Laptop broke as I was making it. (Laptop overheating, caused graphics card to brake. Bought new PC with monitor and keyboard, in all exceeding £400) I was nearing completion, but it would be a lie if I said I was basically finished.

Like your ideas, I made a seaside themepark, but all of my attractions were on a pier. Half of the map was water, with a Pier that I made overhanging it. I made a wooden coaster on the pier, which leaned slightly over the side of the pier, called something along the lines of Cliffhanger, I think? I also made a Vanessa Whirl, (I honestly cannot remember the proper name for it), a chair-swing and a Ferris Wheel. A little train went up and down the pathway to get across the water to the pier. I managed to eliminate any support structures reaching down to the ground (apart from some custom wooden supports I made to hold the pier up) and I could make the rides so high with the John Wardley cheat.

This was a major project for me, as it was my first time that I found out how to do several things on RCT3, like use those floating 1x1 platforms you can get (what I used for the base of the pier) and it was also my first time custom supporting with wooden beams. It's a real shame I couldn't show you guys this. I'm more sad about losing the map than the laptop breaking. I've got a better computer now, so this shouldn't happen again.

Also, I do visit this forum every now and then, and I keep a eye out for any competitions arising, so I will be around a bit (although not very much).