What's new

RCT3|portemine's Basic Coaster Contest - results ! (21 Oct)

Colossus

Giga Poster
Re: RCT3|portemine's Basic Coaster Contest - results tonight

I`m not hoping much for this as I kind of forgot to hand in my vote like an idiot, so if I do badly its my own fault.

scw55

Hyper Poster

To be fair there were 5 entrants that had a lot to look at so you need a huge block of time to judge them. I did mine last minute practically. I was fortunate to have time.

And BBH I didn't deduct either :p

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster

In 5th place comes BBH with his Intamin Mega-Lite, Maximum Overdrive !

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vTcjbxOstA[/youtube]

First of all BBH, welcome to our community once again. Your entry has some assets but there is definitely room for improvement. Maybe I saw this advice before, but you can use the David Walsh cheat code tcombined with Ctrl+F10 to make the menus disappear. Many hills had excessive airtime and pace, while some turns were also too bumpy, which was often underlined in the user comments. And the zig-zag right before the brakes is just an example of layout designing failure. Nonetheless your layout contained great ideas. I liked how sections of the track cross each other, that makes the whole coaster more compact. And the first two or three airtimes, coupled with the overbanked turn, were fun to me. Supports were better than in-game ones but clearly unrealistic. But don't worry, I've been here as well ;)

Advices :
- Use diagonals in your future layouts ! It helps making your coaster look more realistic, and the layout is more varied.
- Spend more time designing your layout. Excessive G-forces, bumpy turns, repetitive sections are to be banned. Hence the hours of improving your initial layout (which, once again, has potentiel) in order to correct its flows.
- Here's a station tutorial : http://www.shyguysworld.com/index.php/topic,6305.0.html
- Try Steel Jungle (link in initial message of this contest) instead of Steelworx, coupled with the megacoaster supports and car (link also in initial message). Gamenerr's Road to Jalabad provides a good illustration of how Intamin supports should be made ( http://rctlounge.com/forums/showthread. ... 904&page=2 )

portemine : 25,75/60
CF users : 24,4/40
Total : 50,15/100

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster

scw55 comes 4th with his B&M Flying coaster, Djinni !

Hcvuz.jpg

scw55 I'm really glad you always take part in RCT3 contest and look to do something different. And once again you're showing some creativity. The layout, indeed, is very unique and has elements which clearly stand out. I was pleased by the half corkscrew/overbanked turn combinason in particular. However the final parts of the coaster are too slow to my taste. The compact track provided some excellent footchoppers but as you and other member noticed, sometimes it got too close. Speaking of realism, the breaking section is fine but I find the lift possibly too fast. The mid-brakes slow considerably the train which is untolerable for a B&M. And while very original, your layout is too estranged from B&M flyings in my opinion. No Pretzel Loop, A V-Loop for example. Some parts really seem violent implying excessive lateral forces (0:25 to 0:35). I liked your support/track colour scheme (it's actually my fav' in the whole comp), but L-Beams from Steelworx aren't complex enough to create realistic supports. I know this wasn't your priority though.

Off-topic : mousketon2's Blue Wave is, in my opinion, one of the best B&M flying made for RCT3. Great layout very much in the B&M spirit :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTJxYZ7r29g

portemine : 30,25/60
CF users : 27,4/40
Total : 57,65

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster

SoMuchWin takes 3rd place with Blaze, his B&M second-gen hyper !

QJ9cV.jpg

I can tell you this entry show how dedicated you are when it comes to playing RCT3. Blaze's layout is fun, with a nice silhouette, and much B&M like. The Shambhala element perfectly illustrates my point. I also fancy the double spiral you've put right after the mid-brakes. You've mustered a great effort with the supports, especially since the figure-8 element is pretty tough to handle with. I am not entirely seduced with your colour pattern (I like when the track has only one colour), and the supports look a bit too fat to me. But these are details. One bigger flaw I and some others have pointed is the uneven pace of your entry. It is too quick and too forceful (meaning airtimes too intense) for a B&M at the beginning, and respectful of the Swiss manufacturer in the second part. The Shambhala element is rough at its bottom ends. Also, I think the "out" and "back" parts of your track should be closer to improve the realistic and B&M-like feel of the layout. Otherwise, nice job ! Blaze is entertaining and I'm looking forward to your future creations ;)

Off-topic : Toucan by marchingeargle and Technicolor is a brilliant B&M Hyper boasting inspiring supports.
http://rctlounge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8829

portemine : 44,25/60
CF users : 31,4/40
Total : 75,65/100

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster

reddude333 gets 2nd with a B&M Dive Machine, ECS !

ECS2.png

Creative. Bold. Inventive elements. All this with a well-mastered pace. ECS might have a short name and a short layout, it is full of intensity, has a good looking and smooth layout, and feels much like a B&M coaster, thanks to its dive loop, first drop after a flat turn, and indeed the watersplash. The 90° vertical turns are original but I'm afraid they might be too sharp for such large trains as the dive machine's, a point which was also raised by other users. The catwalks, supports and footers are excellent and enjoyable to look at. I actually do not like the colour scheme that much but it is edgy and suits your theme well. The station is an example of what I love to see in RCT3 coasters : platforms, station gates and some creative architecture. Very well done Derek, you're actually the voter's favourite ! The 5% penalty proved crucial however... :eek:

portemine (excluding 5% penalty) : 57/60

portemine (including 5% penalty) : 54,15/60
CF users (excluding 5% penalty) : 35,4/40
Total : 89,55/100

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster

Congratulations to Colossus, who comes top with (can you believe it ?) a Vekoma custom SLC, Stinger !

Shot0097.jpg

From the very moment I saw your entry, I thought you're going to be very hard to topple. I am struck by how precise and magnificient your supports are, and that's why you earned a perfect mark in supportwork. Great track connectors, clever use of different CSOs. The "box" at the top of the lift is a very nice addition as well. The layout is compact, fast and intense. Even the brakes followed by a slanted turn reminds me of real SLCs - maybe this wasn't actually intended but that's the way I see it. I particularly love how the corkscrew goes over your overbanked turn. Stinger is a showcase for realism. No excessive G-forces nor violent turns. Smooth brakes. Maybe the station needed a larger platform on the exit side but otherwise it is well built. Your choice of colour pattern did not meet unanimous praise but I think it works. A well-deserved winner and a very nice addition to your park :D

portemine : 57,5/60
CF users : 34/40
Total : 91,5/100

Off-topic : Awesome supportwork, layout, colour scheme and creativity with a Vekoma model by Leonidas
http://rctlounge.com/forums/showthread. ... ght=Vekoma

vekomaflyer3.jpg

reddude333

Giga Poster
Re: RCT3|portemine's Basic Coaster Contest - results ! (21 O

Well...that deduction...kinda...sucks :?

Regardless, I definitely congratulate Colossus on the win. For the record, I rated both of ours 9.0/10 so this result doesn't surprise me in the least. To quote my review of your entry: "Nothing short of brilliant from our great friend and rival Colossus. This ride does everything right in terms of layout. Not sticking to a generic SLC, I still get the feel that this is a model Vekoma could release. The order of elements and emphasis on compactness really did it for me here ... unfortunately, I also feel that due to the coaster type choice, creativity was somewhat limited ..." Fantastic entry!

Thanks again to Portemine for hosting and putting up with my late entry. I really enjoyed this comp because it forced me to put in the effort to place footers and make a fully realistic station.

SoMuchWin, I gave you an 8.5/10. Here is the full review I submitted to Port with my score: "This was definitely a strong entry in my opinion. The station setup is great but I would have liked to see some actual transfer track or some sort of rails to bring the track over to the service tracks (since he did put them in). The layout is fabulous and the Shambhala element...nothing short of beautiful. However, with all of these good things there is one major aspect of this ride that I had trouble getting over. The speed of the ride early on seemed too fast for me. If this was an Intamin mega (like Skyrush) then the large negative Gs would be fine with me but since this is a B&M hyper, the camelbacks should provide floater airtime, not ejector. This was achieved quite well by the latter portion of the ride. That said, I really enjoyed the ride as a whole."

If anyone else wants my opinion on your entry, let me know.

Colossus

Giga Poster

Wow, I can`t believe it, I thought for sure my failure to vote would cost me dearly, Having said that I know people are very honest around here.

Okay so Stinger, the idea came shortly after I had my Pentney Lake coaster poll, (there`s going to be some updates on that this week as I`m off work for the week.) What I was really looking to do was create something that was different and that could look good generic, so ideas wen`t around in my head, I thought about a Vekoma Corkscrew or Boomerang, even a Bobsled, but I settled on the SLC, I remember Derek saying that he`d really enjoyed making one in one of his personal projects, so I thought "yes I`ll have a go at that".
So I always planned to put it in my upcoming park, as I intend to showcase the ride in the future, I had some thought on where to construct, and decided that directly infront of the Wingrider would be perfect, I think the look nice together, they`re not on top each other, but each one is clearly visable from each other as the lift hills face each other, I should have put a small Wingrider PoV on the video as it shoots past Stinger, oh well you`ll have o wait on that one. ;)
So the real task in hand is to get the layout right, the track is obviously not as forgiving as say a B&M, so getting smooth transitions whilst creating intensity was the hardest part, most of it came together really quickly though, the only section that caused me a problem was the final helix and brake-run would you believe? I literally had it in about 4 different ways until I decided I was happy with it.
So supports next, these were very hot and cold, some of it like the lift hill, brake run, helix`s were very easy, others like the, loop and cobra roll where nightmare as I really wanted to create the Vekoma style supports o enhance the realism of the ride. Reasons for the problems again the track, connecting the track to the supports arnt easy due to the small connector section, but I believe I did the best with what I had, I actually used 2 sets for the supports, obviously MSJ, but I used a real handy steal beams set (I`ll link it if anybody wants it?) to get the straight sections looking more Vekoma like, this is clearly visable on the lift hill, station and brake run.
The station is very low key, like a SLC, port you are right on the space of the ride exit, my hand was forced on this though as the helix on the other side of the wall was just too close for me to extend the station, so it was a sacrifice that had to be made, that's the problem when making a real compact layout, leaving space.
So that done its all about the surrounding areas, this is always one of my favorite parts of ride construction as you know the ride is nearly done and it starts coming together real nice, as there's no theme or terraforming this process didn't take long at all. That basically finished the ride and so begins the task of presentation, Interestingly the very last thing I did for this ride as it was a real problem throughout, was naming it lol

So I wanted t take the time to thank portemime, for creating a real good interesting and challenging competition, it was a pleasure to make my competitive return (it`s been 10 months since I entered a comp :shock: ) for this comp, so for that I thank you, its not just me that created Stinger, you helped it also as you did with all entries, the rules and regulations of the host always help with the creation of the rides in the comp.

Also thank you Derek for your kind words, your ride was fantastic as always, I`m going to post my thoughts and opinions on all the other entries involved as I didn't even place my vote.

Thank you to everybody else who took part and made this such a refreshing competition to be a part off. :)

SoMuchWin

Mega Poster

Good job, everyone! You all helped make this competition a fun and amazing experience for me and yourselves. To be honest I can't remember my scores or comments, but now that this is over it doesn't really matter. After seeing how fun this was, I'm thinking of starting my own contest. Pats on the back for everyone! Except you, I feel you don't deserve a pat. You know who you are :wink:

BBH

Giga Poster

I got what I deserved for the I305-esque layout on a Mega-Lite and the S-Bend.

But the diagonals are so ANNOYING.

reddude333

Giga Poster

^It's okay. This was your first contest entry here which is really important because you now you can get some feedback about your work and refine it for the next comp. Glad to see a new face in the competition and hope to see improvement in your next entry.

gopats1479

Mega Poster

Really nice job everyone! Colossus, I actually forgot about your entry and forgot to rate it. Sorry! Probably wouldn't have affected the results anyway, as I loved it when I went back and looked at it. Congrats on a great coaster and a win for this comp.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster

A final say...

First of all, my sorry for replying so late. It's been some pretty evenful days for me lately. Anyway, let me thank every participant for their dedication and contribution to this comp. You've all done great jobs guys ! I've been lucky to see five great or promising creations.

Derek, scw55 and Colossus, it's impressive to see how much you progressed in this game, which make your taking part in each contest ever more enjoyable. SoMuchWin it's also great to find you again here, you've displayed talent and ideas ans inspiration with your Hyper and I hope you'll partake in further comps. BBH you've shown potential, and although as always there's still a lot to improve on, you can make it ! I'm proud you dared to enter this comp even though you have less experience in RCT3 than most of use : that's a mindset I love to see ;)

Congratulations to everyone for their fairness and sportmanship when it comes to ranking entries and facing competition. It proved a real pleasure to set up this comp. I started it and you've made it alive. Good job :D