What's new

[RCT3] Jarrett's New Coaster Challenge

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Your goal for this challenge is to design a new roller coaster for a real world park of your choice. You will have to select a plot of land at a park that is currently unused or holds a ride that could reasonably be removed for whatever logical reason (old, lack of need for it, maybe another park in the chain would benefit from a relocation, ect.) and fit a new roller coaster into that plot.

Guidelines:
*All information known about the future of the area you select has to be CONFIRMED. If nothing's been said, do what you want, but if you do Carowinds, for instance, it HAS to be a giga coaster in the red plot outlined in that satellite picture. What color, manufacturer, and layout it gets is up to you, but it has to be a giga coaster in that plot by Hurler/Rip, Roarin' Rapids. Long story short; if it's been said, it's final, if it's a rumor or speculation, you aren't held to it.
*The plot you select should be a reasonable choice. Ride removals are acceptable, and so are rides being relocated around the park. Just make sure that the rides you choose to remove/relocate are acceptable choices. You're not moving that big B&M hyper across the park, and no matter how much you dislike it, that shiny new B&M probably isn't going anywhere. You're going to be better off selling that old Schwarzkopf or taking a wrecking ball to that old woodie. Or better yet, expand into an unused plot of land!
*You will need to recreate the area near the plot to whatever extent you want. You could just get the terrain right, or recreate the whole park, but it has to show some similarity to the plot you've selected. The more it resembles it, the better!
*The type of coaster you choose for that spot has to be a logical choice for the park. While the confirmed information one obviously overrides this, if you don't know what kind of coaster it will be to whatever extent, make a logical choice. Cedar Fair seems to favor GCI and B&M as a preferred manufacturer, for instance, so one of those would be a more rational choice if you build something for a Cedar Fair park. And Six Flags Magic Mountain got Full Throttle because they needed a good launched coaster before they needed, say, a traditional looping coaster. RMC rehabs of existing wooden coasters ARE allowed.
*Your submission should take the form of a roller coaster announcement video. Usually when a coaster is announced, there is at least a POV rendering and a "fancy"-style announcement video. Exactly how the park you have selected does it should vary (Six Flags and Cedar Fair do pretty cookie cutter-style announcement videos for all of their parks) so make sure to watch a few from that park before editing.
*This should be a given, but any area you choose to build on must be owned by the park.
*If you have any questions, post here or PM me.

Scoring:
*50% of your score will come from a public poll here on SGW.
*50% of your score will be given by an average of scores from 1 to 5 judges, depending on how many want to judge.
-25% comes from quality of the ride and aspects of it.
-10% comes from realism of the area you've selected (I'll ask them to be a bit lenient on this one)
-15% comes from presentation
*I will enable them to give you up to a 5% bonus if you select a park you've never visited before.

Submission:
*Tell me which park you've selected and which part of it. If you want to make sure I know exactly what you're talking about, attach a satellite image of the park with your selected plot outlined.
*I'm having them start threads on SGW and RCTLounge, but this is my first time taking a competition here to CoasterForce. Not sure if I can ask you to start threads or not, so just post your updates in this thread if you can. If a mod could clear this up for me it would make my day.

Tips:
*Google Streetview has a few parks on it. This can be handy for figuring out how certain facades look as well as where everything is.
*Try to follow trends when selecting your opening year. Busch Gardens tends to open sets of sister coasters relatively far apart. Cedar Fair tends to build just one large coaster a year. Six Flags really has none.
*If you move a ride from one park to another to make room for yours, try to specify which park it was moved to.
*Try to watch a few coaster announcement videos to get an idea of what to do.
*Since this contest is technically set in the future, you'll definitely want to lean more towards the current leading edge of the industry, maybe even try to show what could be possible in 3-5 years. I won't accept completely new rides, but I'm fine with current concepts being built on.

Have fun!

Hutch

Strata Poster
This seems like a very interesting competition! Unfortunately I currently don't have access to the (****) computer I use to play RCT3, but I look forward to see what others come up with.

Jarrett

Sanchezmran said:
This seems like a very interesting competition! Unfortunately I currently don't have access to the (****) computer I use to play RCT3, but I look forward to see what others come up with.
Would you like to judge then? It sucks having a bad computer and trying to use RCT3 (my first 3 months with it were on this crappy 2006 laptop; it was awful) so I feel your pain. But someone on RCTLounge is judging, and this would be a good way to get involved.

scw55

Hyper Poster
2012Jarrett said:
Not sure if I can ask you to start threads or not, so just post your updates in this thread if you can. If a mod could clear this up for me it would make my day.[/b]

So far we've posted entries & updates in the primary contest thread.
Every RCT3 player who uses these forums (or have used) also have their own personal thread containing *all* their projects (we found having a seperate thread for each project tended to clutter up the forums. Especially with some creators who enjoyed 'cycling' through projects, essentially bumping each one).
-
The contest idea sounds interesting. It's fortunate you started this contest at the closing date for Metalhead's contest. An overlap isn't great.

I can imagine if someone chose Alton Towers (UK) for their park with hypothetical coaster, that it'd offer a fun challenge. Alton Towers have strict building permissions to navigate. They also must keep rides below tree level (in the case of RITA there's a tiny section painted green). They also have to battle 'the big wigs' of Merlin UK. John Wardley (retired creative mind at AT) says that rides that can be easily marketed get comissioned.
I guess if users here fantasies about having a career in the Coaster/Amusement Park industry this contest is an exciting experience.

I'm confused about the references to the other forums. Are they judging entries here? Is it cross-forums contest? Is it that you have hosted contests there before, and now want to RCT3 here?

Jarrett

scw55 said:
2012Jarrett said:
Not sure if I can ask you to start threads or not, so just post your updates in this thread if you can. If a mod could clear this up for me it would make my day.[/b]

So far we've posted entries & updates in the primary contest thread.
Every RCT3 player who uses these forums (or have used) also have their own personal thread containing *all* their projects (we found having a seperate thread for each project tended to clutter up the forums. Especially with some creators who enjoyed 'cycling' through projects, essentially bumping each one).
-
The contest idea sounds interesting. It's fortunate you started this contest at the closing date for Metalhead's contest. An overlap isn't great.

I can imagine if someone chose Alton Towers (UK) for their park with hypothetical coaster, that it'd offer a fun challenge. Alton Towers have strict building permissions to navigate. They also must keep rides below tree level (in the case of RITA there's a tiny section painted green). They also have to battle 'the big wigs' of Merlin UK. John Wardley (retired creative mind at AT) says that rides that can be easily marketed get comissioned.
I guess if users here fantasies about having a career in the Coaster/Amusement Park industry this contest is an exciting experience.

I'm confused about the references to the other forums. Are they judging entries here? Is it cross-forums contest? Is it that you have hosted contests there before, and now want to RCT3 here?
*Didn't even mean to do that! Awesome!
*You should sign up and do Alton Towers then! I'd love to see somebody try to work around that! I feel like Katanga Canyon could use a secret weapon...
*This is a contest that is being updated here, on Shyguysworld, and RCTLounge. I already have one judge on RCTLounge. I should probably start keeping a judge/contestant tally on these threads...

scw55

Hyper Poster
I would take part, but I am having technical problems with my RCT3 at the moment.
It kept crashing every so often and was therefore infurating to do anything.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry, my once every five years RCT3 competition entry passed with the Time Machine competition.

This is also a massively ambitious competition to undertake. Just trying to even basically recreate part of a park to dump in new stuff is a massive amount of work...

So I'm out.

Jarrett

Ethan said:
2012Jarrett said:
Scoring:
*50% of your score will come from a public poll here on SGW.

Ouch. No CF exclusivity?

But I'm out.
Yuck! Forgot to edit that when I moved it around! The poll will be based on collective results from polls on all 3 sites.

And you don't need to recreate the whole park or anything. Just one or two rides near it will do. It's mostly just for reference in regards to location.

scw55

Hyper Poster
Despite saying how I think this contest looks initially interesting, I cannot enter.

I don't live near any theme parks.
I have only ever been to one theme park.
Google maps isn't that good anyway.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
Sounds like a really good idea for a competition!
However, as Scw55 aforementioned, rct3 activity has really dried up, with very few people members involved in last year's 'World Championship' still frequenting the site. We can probably attribute this to workload at schools, colleges and universities, which has certainly impeded my rct3 progress and so I can't enter at this moment. Sorry :(

However, if you run this again next summer or make it an rct3/Nolimits combination, then I'm sure you would get more entrants, including myself :--D

nealbie

CF Legend
Don't worry, since being back at uni in September I've had something brewing. However, don't expect to see anything until Feb/March (upside to that will be that it should then continue with relative ease going forward). :)

scw55

Hyper Poster
I'm enjoying casually working on my own project.

The last contest I entered I encountered technicaly difficulties which stressed me and caused immense disappointment.

BBH

Giga Poster
I'm going to begin working on mine shortly, I've begun to tackle the scenarios in the game and I'll hopefully start after I finish Go with the Flow.

Posted while reading your mind.