What's new

Rank the Stand Ups

Edward M

Strata Poster
It's a dying breed of coaster as parks continue with their floorless conversions or just scrap them. So why not do a ranking topic on it?

1. Georgia Scorcher - the only one of these I thoroughly enjoyed. Perfect amount of g-forces to not kill the legs but keep it exciting.
  2. Shockwave, Kings Dominion - I quite liked this actually. Airtime on a stand up? Hell ya.
  3. Green Lantern - Really did not have a good time with this one. A bit rough and my legs were killing me.
  4. Mantis- 13 year old me did not know how to properly position himself in the seat. Did not go well.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I've done five.

1. Riddler's Revenge, Six Flags Magic Mountain - DUH?
2. Mantis, Cedar Point - Not as good.
3. Vortex, California's Great America/Vortex, Carowinds/Shockwave, Drayton Manor - All total ****e.

Not a terribly inspiring series of coasters, is it?

Hutch

Strata Poster
Ughhh, these are my least favorite model. None of them are good.

1. Georgia Schorcher - Not incredibly uncomfortable. Has some decent turns so I guess it takes the top spot.
2. Green Lantern - Like Scorcher, this doesn't try to kill you but it also doesn't do anything interesting.
3. Mantis - My first one, did a number on my legs.
4. Vortex - **** this ride.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
1. Riddler's Revenge. Quite good I thought. Definitely helped by the sheer size of the thing.
2. Green Lantern. Another biggun. Yeah, pretty decent.
3. Shockwave, Drayton Manor. Ok-ish.

4. Skyrider, Canada's Wonderland. Turd.
5. Shockwave, KD. Slightly more turd.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
What’s annoying about these coasters is getting in the right “standing” position so the blood doesn’t rush to your legs too painfully during high positive Gs. I always try and bend my knees a fair bit but it doesn’t work for every coaster or even every single ride on the same one.

1. Riddler’s Revenge - Used to love this coaster. Not as much last time. Still the best one.
2. Georgia Schorcher - Kinda has a nice flow to it.
3. Green Lantern - I really liked at least one ride on this one
4. Shockwave (Drayton Manor) - Used to hate it, but I sort of enjoyed last time.
5. Vortex (Carowinds) - I thought it was gonna be awful but it was quite inoffensive

LAST: Vortex (CGA), Cobra, Shockwave (KD), Freestyle - These are/were all garbage. I’m glad 3/4 of them are either gone or are no longer a stand-up.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
I've done 5 and don't really care to do any more but here's the list.

1. Georgia Scorcher - SFOG - Easily takes the top spot. Same concept is applied to standups as is applied to vekomas. I go in expecting the worst experience possible and GS wasn't honestly too bad.
2. Green Lantern - SFGADV -A long with Mantis this is the only standup I've been on more than once. First time I rode it I didn't have any issues with it and then I went back and remember not having a very good time with it.
3. Mantis - CP - Similar story to Green Lantern but I like it a little less.
4. Vortex - Carowinds - Awful experience.
5. Shockwave - Kings Dominion - One of the worst coasters overall that I've been on. Happy it's gone.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
1) Mantis - Didn't find it all that terrible. Wasn't rough, it was just the whole leg thing. Very middle-of-the-pack.
2) Apocalypse - I think I have this literally one space under Mantis. Again, not a terrible ride. Fairly decent theming for a Six Flags park. The only real thing that put it under is that the layout isn't as interesting. But for a company's first ride, they knocked it out of the park.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
1. Milky Way - Airtime. All of these need airtime.
2. Momonga Standing and Loop Coaster - Yes. Togo are the kings.

3 & 4 Shockwave and Riddler's. Don't care. One is dumb, the other hurt.

Think that's it.

Alex B

Mega Poster
Your allowed to your opinion but I think green lantern turned my legs to jelly and Ik it’s unavoidable but that and the insanely bad rattle=total ****

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Yeah, definitely not a coaster type that was loved...

1. Georgia Scorcher - Had B&M produced more layouts like Scorcher - layouts that focused on twists and airtime instead of inversions - we might have a few more stand ups today.
  2. Mantis - Certainly not a bad ride. It was pretty intense, but most of the B&M stand ups lose points for having cookie cutter layouts.
  3. Skyrider - As HeartlineCoaster said...airtime on a stand up and it's great.
  4. Vortex - I don't hate this ride like seemingly everybody does. It has a solid layout and is pretty forceful. It's a good candidate for a floorless conversion.
  5. Iron Wolf/Apocalypse - Eh.
  6. Riddler's Revenge - I rode it once way back in '05. Had to wait 90 minutes and ended up on a square wheel. It sucked, and I couldn't get a reride two summers ago because it was closed for Battle for Metropolis construction.
  7. Shockwave - Good riddance.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
1. Georgia Scorcher
2. Vortex (Carowinds)

Neither of them are bad rides, in my eyes; I genuinely enjoyed both of them, and I'd happily ride either one again!

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Skyrider: what does it say that i think a Togo is the best standup I've ever ridden. Perfectly smooth, totally comfortable transitions and legitamately enjoyable airtime. I still think i might prefer this to Canuck Mc**** that's their now
Patriot: thought this ride was seriously underrated and kinda wish it was still a standup not a floorless
Green Lantern: Quite the intense ride but i enjoyed it
Mantis: Thought the ride was fun again it's fine as a floor less but didn't have a problem with the standup version
Firebird: The OG and the coaster i still thought was the best at the ****hole known as SFA

emoo

Hyper Poster
I've done 11 and they are mostly a one and done so cannot recall much detail any more. The focus was often just making sure I was comfortable in the weird restraints.

From what I remember, these are my best to worse with the ones I don't remember in the middle as they cant have offended me too much:

1. Milky Way (Togo/Greenland) - No Inversions, duels with another ride, air time with bouncy restraints, a little but cute - a genuinely enjoyable ride and not because its obscure.

2. Shockwave (Intamin/Drayton Manor) - The first stand up I rode and very early in my coaster history. Has held up over time but (somewhat thankfully) rarely visit the park. Not a great station or queue. Always loved the zero G and find it a shame that element wasn't used on other stand ups. A bit short but longer rides leave you clenching for too long.

3. Shockwave (Togo/Kings Dominion) I was pleased with how 'ok' this was, may even have cracked a smile.

4. Georgia Scorcher (B&M/Over Georgia) Was in the way of Goliath so wasn't that interested but was fine.
4. Green Lantern (B&M/Great Adventure) Didn't ride as Chang and don't see what all the fan boy fuss was about, but was fine.
4. Standing Coaster (Togo/Rusutsu Resort) Love the lift through the loop but barley remember the ride.
4. Cobra (Intamin/La Ronde) No idea, at least I got on but was a credit heavy day in a park I wasn't entirely keen on so didn't linger in case I had to go back.

5. Riddlers Revenge (B&M/Magic Mountain) Not a fan but would ride again. A better restraint than some others is my clearest memory.

6. Skyrider (Togo/Canadas Wonderland) I have a note from a long time ago saying I wasn't into this one - don't remember why this was so interesting to see what other people thought and that I liked Kings Dominion. Maybe I was wrong, or maybe its just that Behemoth had become my favorite ride at the time and the park had nothing else that close. Better than the woodies there I guess

7. Vortex (B&M/Carowinds) No interest riding on my second visit and my friend was happy about that.
7. Iron Wolf (B&M/Great America) Very happy to ride B&Ms first work but otherwise, no.

Didn't ride Mantis before it was converted to Floorless. Very disappointed in that as it was heavily featured on the first Roller Coaster program I ever saw and binged watched. If anyone has a clip of "Extreme Machines - Roller Coaster" I would shed a tear in joy. Although Rougarau's main greatness was being in a swamp so perhaps I didn't miss out.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
1: Riddler's Revenge. I liked it. I dont recall having much negative and actually liked it
2: Georgia Scorcher. Also liked it, not as much. It wasn't anything great, but it had some force but didnt totally wreck my legs and balls, and didn't really headbang me
3: Mantis. Eh, was OK. Starting to get a little painful on the head.
4: Green Lantern. This thing sucked. All the usual here: rough, hurt legs, didnt seem real forceful
5: Vortex (Carowinds) This thing really sucked. REALLY rough, hurt legs and yes was lame on top of it.

Coaster Cinema

Mega Poster
Defunct in Italics
1. Riddler's Revenge - Six Flags Magic Mountain
2. Green Lantern - Six Flags Great Adventure
3. Apocalypse - Six Flags America
4. SkyRider - Canada's Wonderland
5. Mantis - Cedar Point
6. Shockwave - Kings Dominion

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
This thing deserves recognition so here's an update:

1. Freestyle @ Cavallino Matto - Proper standing + proper airtime = terrifying and amazing.
2. Milky Way @ Greenland - Airtime. All of these need airtime.
3. Momonga Standing and Loop Coaster @ Yomiuiriland - Yes. Togo are the kings.

4. Riddler's Revenge @ Six Flags Magic Mountain
5. Shockwave @ Drayton Manor
6. Vortex @ Carowinds - oh and these are new too
7. Green Lantern @ Six Flags Great Adventure - but they're awful

Coastard69

Roller Poster
1. Riddler’s Revenge
2. Georgia Scorcher
3. Chang
4. Mantis
5. The one at Carowinds
6. Iron Wolf
7. The one that was at Canada’s Wonderland (drawing a blank on the name)
8. Shockwave (Kings Dominion)

Last edited:

rctneil

Roller Poster
Eight of them for me:
  1. Mantis - Cedar Point: I really like the layout on this one.
  2. Riddler's Revenge - Magic Mountain
  3. Green Lantern - Great Adventure
  4. Shockwave - Drayton Manor
  5. Standing Coaster - Rusutsu Resort
  6. Shockwave - Kings Dominion
  7. Vortex - Carowinds
  8. Iron Wolf - California's Great America