What's new

Rank the Mack Launch coasters

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
I had forgotten that I rode another Blue Fire clone so let's have a very critical update:

1. Helix
2. Copperhead Strike
3. Icon
4. Blue Fire (the one with the oily blokes) - On-board music over the below
5. Velociraptor (the one with the dinosaurs) - Theming over the below
6. Launch Coaster (the one with the elephants) - I like the park more than the below
7. Battle of Blue Fire (the one with the crystals)
8. Capitol Bullet Train
9. Star Trek: Operation Enterprise
10. Manta

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
This feels like an unpopular opinion but I'd say:

1. Helix (By a mile)
2. Blue Fire
3. Slinky Dog Dash
4. Star Trek
5. Icon

I've only been on Icon once but I really didn't care for it at all. I enjoyed STOE a lot. Probably had quite low expectations for it, but I enjoyed it and went for plenty of re-rides.

Slinky is obviously incredibly tame but the theming is great and there's plenty of cool moments on it (even the queue)
STOE is underrated, I enjoyed it too, (despite it’s position, I enjoyed them all) and it is the best themed of the ones I’ve ridden.

Nussimo

Roller Poster
Wanted to make a top mack coaster list because we lack one and i only ridden 2 launch coaster of them.

1. Hyper coaster in the land of legends in turkey: it aint a mack launch coaster but it packs a punch. The drop is comparable to expedition g-force. Just a litte bit higher, the loop gives rly good hangtime, the only downside are the trims on the airtimehills they dont kill the airtime but make it slower, still very fun and smooth ride. We rly need more mack hypers :/

2. Lost gravity in walibi holland: strong ejector airtime and strong hangtime, just a little rattly. But a tons of fun.

3. Blue fire in europa park: good launch for mack launch coaster. Nice airtime and zero g roll in the end but lacks length, and the first element ist pointless, still fun.

4. Star Trek in movie park: nice layout but rly weak launch weak airtime but nice hangtime, lacks speed too, was still not bad coaster. Is same lvl of fun for me as blue fire.

5+ . Any mack spinning and wild mouse: all decent but nothing special

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
Right, I've now ridden the coaster I mentioned in the above post! My ranking now goes like this (new in bold):
  1. Icon (Blackpool Pleasure Beach) - What a breathtaking ride! The whole experience just comes together to make something truly amazing, in my opinion; there's decent airtime, the launches, while not quite having the punch of a hydraulic launch, were better than I was expecting, the ride is so smooth and it even has some surprising moments of intensity, in my opinion, especially during the second half! Currently my UK number 1 and my overall number 2! A simply outstanding coaster, if you ask me; BPB and Mack knocked it out of the park with this one!
  2. Slinky Dog Dash (Disney's Hollywood Studios) - Much more fun than expected, actually! Even though there were a few spots where it could have gone faster, I thought it was well paced for the most part, had some nice gentle pops of airtime and was just immensely fun to ride, with some adorable theming! I did find it to rattle more than Icon, but the rattle certainly didn't affect the ride for me! Overall, I think Mack and Disney have done a fantastic job!
3 years later, and I've now done a 3rd Mack launch coaster (new entry, and updated descriptions of existing entries, in italics):
  1. Icon - Blackpool Pleasure Beach: What a breathtaking ride! The whole experience just comes together to make something truly amazing, in my opinion; there's decent airtime, the launches, while not quite having the punch of a hydraulic launch, were better than I was expecting, the ride is so smooth and it even has some surprising moments of intensity, in my opinion, especially during the second half! Currently my UK number 1 and my overall number 2 4! A simply outstanding coaster, if you ask me; BPB and Mack knocked it out of the park with this one! 10/10, #4/91
  2. Blue Fire - Europa Park: This is a great coaster, in my opinion; the inversions are great, particularly the final roll, there's some nice hangtime, the ride is smooth, the launch is punchy, and all in all, I think it's a very nice ride! However, I do think it feels slightly lacking compared to Icon; it has very little airtime for a Mack launch coaster (possibly even less than Slinky Dog Dash), and 1 or 2 of the transitions feel a tad unnatural to me, although the ride as a whole is very smooth. Nonetheless, I think Blue Fire is a great coaster, and one I thoroughly enjoyed riding! 9/10, #10/91
  3. Slinky Dog Dash - Disney's Hollywood Studios: Much more fun than expected, actually! Even though there were a few spots where it could have gone faster, I thought it was well paced for the most part, had some nice gentle pops of airtime and was just immensely fun to ride, with some adorable theming! I did find it to rattle more than Icon and Blue Fire, but the rattle certainly didn't affect the ride for me! Overall, I think Mack and Disney have done a fantastic job! 7/10, #24/91
On the whole, I very much like this ride type. When purpose is taken into account, I think all 3 deliver very well for their respective target markets!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Time for an update on this...

1) Ride to Happiness
2) Helix
3) Icon
4) Blue Fire
5) STOE

Is there even a 'bad' Mack launch coaster? As much as I give some of them some stick, it's only because they weren't 'as' good as I was expecting after the hype... They're all great rides so far...

James F

Hyper Poster
These are all the ones I have done thus far...

1: Helix
2: Icon
3: Blue Fire
4: Pulsar

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapata

Howie

Donkey in a hat
1. Helix. Really having a hard time separating this and....

2. The Ride To Happiness. There's so little in it that it barely matters to be honest. If I could put them as joint 1st then I would, but that's against the rules innit. Both are in my top 3, only the mighty SteVe can beat them.

3. Pulsar. Don't care - it's a Mack, it's a coaster and it launches. And it's an absolute hoot!

4. Time Traveler. Quite a step down from RTH, but still a quality piece of kit.

5. Blue Fire. Solid.

6. Icon. S'alright.

7. Star Trek. S'alright.

Indy

Hyper Poster
1. Helix - Near perfection. The only thing it doesn't do well is launch quickly, but we've all learned not to expect powerful launches on Mack coasters.

2. Time Traveler - So much I could say. It's just wild. I cannot wait to get on RTH later this summer.

3. Copperhead Strike - I truly think this is an underrated ride. The combination of hang time, ejector air, and quick directions changes makes this a top notch ride.

4. Blue Fire - Simply solid

5. Manta - Even for being fifth, it's still a really excellent ride. Not glamorous by any means, but an attraction that I'd be happy to have at any park.

6. Slinky Dog Dash - An enjoyable family coaster. It serves its purpose.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Been a while since the top of the page, I guess there's more now.

1. Helix
2. Ride to Happiness
3. Copperhead Strike
4. Icon
5. Blue Fire (the one with the oily blokes) - On-board music over the below
6. Velociraptor (the one with the dinosaurs) - Theming over the below
7. Launch Coaster (the one with the elephants) - I like the park more than the below
8. Battle of Blue Fire (the one with the crystals)
9. Capitol Bullet Train
10. Star Trek: Operation Enterprise
11. Manta
12. Slinky Dog Dash - Aww

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Helix
Ride to Happiness
Blue Fire
Pulsar

I need to get my ass back to Movie Park and BPB to ride Star Trek and Icon.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Nothing left but more Blue Fire clones I guess, though that one with the spinning car should definitely be worth a shot.

1. Helix
2. Ride to Happiness
3. Time Traveler
4. Copperhead Strike
5. Icon
6. Blue Fire (the one with the oily blokes) - On-board music over the below
7. Velociraptor (the one with the dinosaurs) - Theming over the below
8. Launch Coaster (the one with the elephants) - I like the park more than the below
9. Battle of Blue Fire (the one with the crystals)
10. Capitol Bullet Train
11. Star Trek: Operation Enterprise
12. Manta
13. Slinky Dog Dash - Aww