What's new

Rank the Intamin Launch Coasters

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Wow. Big variety here, but dies very quickly.
You're missing stuff like the legendary Aquatrax and Mr. Chinese dragon face, but Dessert Race gave me a chuckle.

1. Taron - Yeah, that one.
2. Soaring with Dragon - Really good stuff, just feels a little short at the end.
3. Atlantis Adventure - Dire pacing, but great in between.
4. Juvelen - Love a good rolling launch, could be more forceful in places.
5. Jet Rescue - More forceful than the above, but shorter and a lesser launch.

6. Superman Escape - Rita with a top hat, restraints kinda kill it. Love the dark ride section though.
7. Red Force - Kinda liked it. Good trains at least.
8. Furius Baco - Hilarious.
9. Stealth - Kinda over it.
9. Zaturn - Stealth.
11. Desert Race - Rita but rides better.
12. Formula Rossa - Rita but bigger. Torn on where to place it to be honest. First ride would have put it in the top 5 of this list, second ride would put it at the bottom. 5 + 19 / 2 = 12 quick maths.
13. Rita - Regarding the Rita discussion, I felt airtime in the two twisty hills, back row, on my most recent ride for the first time in about 15 years. It wasn't good, but it was there.
14. Kanonen - Hilarious but awkward.
15. Turbo Track - Meh.

16. Tower of Terror II - Obnoxious.
17. RC Racer? - Sort of.
18. Mick Doohan's Motocoaster - Ow, my knees.
19. Halfpipe? - Hah.

Bathtub Gin

Roller Poster
1. Maverick
2. Storm Runner
3. Top Thrill Dragster
4. Kingda Ka
5. Cheetah Hunt
6. <Insert Favorite Impulse>
7. Half Pipe

I need to find me some more Intamin launchers. I'm sure I would have loved Volcano, but it was on the DL when I visited. Debating with myself about going to Phantasialand instead of Port Aventura next summer when I go to Europe just to see what all the Taron fuss is about- I haven't watched a POV video because I don't really like spoiling a ride prior to riding, but I have a hard time seeing it (or anything) unseat Maverick. On the other hand, Port Aventura has two Intamin launchers and two great looking B&M coasters...

Last edited:

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
There is hope for the future.

2. Soaring with Dragon - Really good stuff, just feels a little short at the end.
4. Speed Monster - A hydraulic that actually does cool stuff
5. Juvelen - Love a good rolling launch, could be more forceful in places.
6. Jet Rescue - More forceful than the above, but shorter and a lesser launch.

7. Superman Escape - Rita with a top hat, restraints kinda kill it. Love the dark ride section though.
8. Red Force - Kinda liked it. Good trains at least.
9. Furius Baco - Hilarious.
10. Stealth - Kinda over it.
10. Zaturn - Stealth.
12. Desert Race - Rita but rides better.
13. Formula Rossa - Rita but bigger. Torn on where to place it to be honest. First ride would have put it in the top 5 of this list, second ride would put it at the bottom. 5 + 19 / 2 = 12 quick maths.
14. Rita - Regarding the Rita discussion, I felt airtime in the two twisty hills, back row, on my most recent ride for the first time in about 15 years. It wasn't good, but it was there.
15. Kanonen - Hilarious but awkward.
16. Turbo Track - Meh.

17. Tower of Terror II - Obnoxious.
18. RC Racer x2? - Sort of.
20. Mick Doohan's Motocoaster - Ow, my knees.
21. Halfpipe? - Hah.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
14. Rita - Regarding the Rita discussion, I felt airtime in the two twisty hills, back row, on my most recent ride for the first time in about 15 years. It wasn't good, but it was there.
Oooh, this reminds me @Peet
I rode it again a few weeks back and whilst there was some flojector on the large hill, I didn't get anything on the 2nd twisty, so yeah there's some airtime, but it's weak/not that enjoyable.

Coaster Cinema

Mega Poster
1. Maverick (Love It)
2. Top Thrill Dragster (Love It)
3. Kingda Ka (Underrated)
4. Superman Escape From Krypton (Love It)
5. Xcelerator (Very Intense launch)
6. Volcano The Blast Coaster (Love the volcano setting)
7. Storm Runner (Really good ride)
8. California Screamin' (It used to have a great soundtrack, first launch coaster I rode)
9. Cheetah Hunt (I love the setting over the African Savannah, the river gorge great)
10. V2 (It has an inversion on the front spike, delivers hangtime)
11. Rita (It was very average to me)
12. Wicked Twister (Good Impulse)
13. Possessed (Still has the holding brake)
14. Vertical Velocity (Slightly downgraded due the removal of holding brake)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Of what I've ridden:
1. Maverick - I still revere this as one of the best; it's a buffet of coaster design that bodes for tons of re-ridability. Not one I'd classify as a true "launch", as it's much more than that.
2. Top Thrill Dragster - obvi
3. Storm Runner - It's a bummer not as many hydraulic launch coasters were built with this kind of wild and zany layout.
4. Xcelerator - A good first step into hydraulic launch for Intamin.
5. Wicked Twister (Impulses) - I really enjoy these rides. Take up little space, and have a great thrill factor.
6. California Screamin’ - It's appeal is more for it's place setting versus actual ride experience. Don't get me wrong - it's a fun ride, but not a big wow factor.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
A not so exciting update:

7. Superman Escape - Rita with a top hat, restraints kinda kill it. Love the dark ride section though.
10. Incredicoaster - Less hilarious but does a bit more.
11. Stealth - Kinda over it.
11. Zaturn - Stealth.
13. Xcelerator - Stealth without the brake run.
14. Desert Race - Rita but rides better.
15. Formula Rossa - Rita but bigger. Torn on where to place it to be honest. First ride would have put it in the top 5 of this list, second ride would put it at the bottom. 5 + 24 / 2 = 14.5 quick maths.
16. Rita - Regarding the Rita discussion, I felt airtime in the two twisty hills, back row, on my most recent ride for the first time in about 15 years. It wasn't good, but it was there.
17. Kanonen - Hilarious but awkward.
18. Turbo Track - Meh.

19. Tower of Terror II - Obnoxious.
19. Superman: Escape from Krypton - As above
21. RC Racer x2? - Sort of.
22. Vertical Velocity - Nah.
23. Mick Doohan's Motocoaster - Ow, my knees.
24. Halfpipe? - Hah.

GeaugaLakeisAlive

Roller Poster
Maverick, closely followed by Storm Rummer. Maverick is just relentless, very forceful and intense. The launch on Storm runner is great and the inversions are unique an fun. They're both so much better with the new restraints.

SwitchbackFanboy742

Roller Poster
For me it is Maverick as the best. Intense, fun, airtime packed, long and has one of my favorite drops on a coaster. Taron also looks really fun as a fast paced ride with a lot of great elements and the theming looks fantastic. Taiga might be the best, not sure though, depends how fast it is.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Out of Maverick, Storm Runner, Wicked Twister, Possessed, Volcano and (I tend to skimp over this one) Cheetah Hunt, Maverick by far. It's my #3 coaster overall with spectacular ejector airtime, whippy Stengel dives, a fantastic first drop and a very poweful second launch.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
1. Top Thrill Dragster.
2. Taron.
3. Kingda Ka.
4. Volcano.
5. Stealth.
6. Maverick.
6. V2 and Wicked Twister.
7. Xcelerator.
8. Baco.
9. Desert Rita.
10. Kanonen.

Dragster is the easy winner for me - the ultimate one trick pony. Love it. Taron is an easy 2nd because it's bonkers. Kingda Ka, despite being a bit sh*t, still gets 3rd because its really tall and really fast. Few of the others might be interchangeable, depending on mood.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Last post was 2015 so changes have occurred. Mav and Storm Runner are top dogs, while TTD isn't too far behind. The rest are pretty interchangeable to an extent.
  1. Maverick
  2. Storm Runner
  3. TTD
  4. Kingda Ka
  5. Xcelerator
  6. Volcano
  7. Stealth
  8. Furius Baco
  9. Cheetah Hunt
  10. Wicked Twister

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
1 Maverick - my #3 coaster!!
2 Storm Runner - Powerful launch, with a thrilling and intense ride
3 Volcano - I am sad it closed, but it wasn't a particularly remarkable coaster in my opinion
4 Cheetah Hunt - I tend to skimp over this one's existence, particularly because I am infamous for not being a huge fan of it
5 Wicked Twister
6 Possessed - The ride op surprised me by shooting us down the launch track unexpectedly soon

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
As people have started doing numbers in this one as well, here's my copy + paste:

10. Incredicoaster - Less hilarious but does a bit more.
11. Stealth - Kinda over it.
11. Zaturn - Stealth.
13. Xcelerator - Stealth without the brake run.
14. Desert Race - Rita but rides better.
15. Formula Rossa - Rita but bigger. Torn on where to place it to be honest. First ride would have put it in the top 5 of this list, second ride would put it at the bottom. 5 + 24 / 2 = 14.5 quick maths.
16. Rita - It was there.
17. Kanonen - Hilarious but awkward.
18. Turbo Track - Meh.

19. Tower of Terror II - Obnoxious.
19. Superman: Escape from Krypton - As above
21. RC Racer x2? - Sort of.
22. Vertical Velocity - Nah.
23. Mick Doohan's Motocoaster - Ow, my knees.
24. Halfpipe? - Hah.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Wow, that might be the highest up a list I've ever seen someone put that! Normally see it falling behind things like Formula Rossa and the like. Each to their own, I guess. :p

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
^Yeah, unfortunately I've become far too immune to launches and find any coaster that relies on it as the main selling point rather boring (relatively speaking), so it was a very welcome change to have one with a good layout.
Rossa woulda been higher, but thinking about that second ride still makes my brain hurt.