What's new

Rank the Gravity Group coasters

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. As we have a thread ranking GCIs, I'd be intrigued to know your thoughts with regards to how you rank the coasters you've ridden from the other major manufacturer of traditional wooden coasters so to speak; The Gravity Group. Now, this could get quite interesting, as the Gravity Group's coasters do not seem to be at as many major, highly visited theme parks as GCI's are, but I know there are some members who have still ridden a fair few Gravity Group coasters, so I'd be interested to know how we'd all rank them.

I'll get the ball rolling with my Gravity Group count which, as with GCI, presently stands at just the one:
  1. Mine Blower - An absolutely fantastic wooden coaster! I rode on the front, and there were some really surprising pops of abrupt airtime as well as an amazing pace that keeps you hooked from the first drop right through to the final brake run! While it isn't the smoothest of coasters, I also wouldn't say that Mine Blower was as rough as I was expecting, which was a pleasant surprise! Overall, a fantastically fun coaster, and a good sign of things to come from future Gravity Groups!
But how would you rank the ones you've ridden?

Imagineer Josh

Mega Poster
  1. Voyage - Nearly flawless coaster for me, I haven't ridden it in almost two years but for a while it held the #1 position. I mean, really; does it do anything wrong aside from maybe the occasional roughness?
  2. Mine Blower - This thing absolutely blew me away. It's no rougher than Voyage, has badass pacing and ejector air all over the place, and while it might be a challenge to marathon (why I have Voyage higher, along with being longer and more fun) while you can ride it, it's purely one of the craziest coaster experiences out there.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
  1. Voyage - Nearly flawless coaster for me, I haven't ridden it in almost two years but for a while it held the #1 position. I mean, really; does it do anything wrong aside from maybe the occasional roughness?
  2. Mine Blower - This thing absolutely blew me away. It's no rougher than Voyage, has badass pacing and ejector air all over the place, and while it might be a challenge to marathon (why I have Voyage higher, along with being longer and more fun) while you can ride it, it's purely one of the craziest coaster experiences out there.
I second this! I’ve also ridden these two Gravity Groups, and these two alone!

1. The Voyage - my #1 coaster. Need I say much more? :) If you’re interested in hearing my thoughts, here is my response copied and pasted from the Top 10(ish): 2019 Edition thread:

It’s so much more out of control [than something like Lightning Rod or another smooth wooden coaster] due to the roughness, and the longer the ride goes on the more you are being jostled around and thrown out of your seat. The first bit of large, loping hills provide some decent floater airtime; then, as soon as you hit the spaghetti bowl turnaround in the woods The Voyage begins to try to knock you out. The mid-course brake run gives not nearly enough time to brace for the mental insanity that is The Voyage’s final act, the rampage down the hillside that the coaster climbed atop. The triple down is my favorite element on The Voyage, as while the first drop doesn’t do much the second picks up the pace and the third — well, it has airtime so strong and so abrupt that it caught me off guard on every single one of my nine laps aboard The Voyage. What follows the triple down is laterals that slam you to the side of your seat, raw ejector airtime that will try to fling you onto the neighboring farmland and all of this insanity is taken at a blistering pace.

2. Mine Blower - This is an underrated coaster that is unfortunately often excluded from the title of “Best Coaster in Florida.” For me, I have it placed just below Montu, Mako and Kumba (in that order), but it’s still in my top 15. I missed this coaster’s opening by exactly a week, but it was still pretty smooth. Mine Blower is an amazing wooden coaster that packs a humongous punch into an impossibly tight plot of land— Mine Blower feels much longer than it actually is, combines sheer intensity with rapid-fire ejector hills and even chucks you upside down in an awesome hangtime moment over the station!

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I've done fewer of these than I realised, which is good as it makes ranking them easy.

1. Voyage - Holiday World: No brainer. Phenomenal coaster. Sits at #9 in my overall rankings. I love the sheer size of it, although it's bloody exhausting to ride!
2. Twister - Grona Lund: I really like this one as it's just so compact and unexpected. The drops and turns are all very sharp, forceful and a bucket load of fun.
3. Ravine Flyer II - Waldameer: Been nearly a decade since I rode this, and I hear it's going off a bit, but I loved the layout, the bridge and the location.
4. Boardwalk Bullet - Kemah Boardwalk: Enjoyed this one, but remember it being rather rattly. Probably this high up due to nostalgia from @Snoo, @Hyde and my piss-up next door... :p
5. Hades 360 - Mt Olympus: When I rode this coaster was unbearably rough, but I did like the tunnels and inversion.
6. Cu Chulainn - Tayto Park: I thought this was good fun, actually, but it's just not as good as the others...

Snoo

The Legend
1. Voyage - HW
2. Mine Blower - Fun Spot
3. Boardwalk Bullet - Kemah
4. Ravine Flyer II - Waldy
5. Wooden Warrior - Quassy
6. Twister - Grona Lund
7. Kentucky Flyer - KK

I've done fewer of these than I realised, which is good as it makes ranking them easy.

1. Voyage - Holiday World: No brainer. Phenomenal coaster. Sits at #9 in my overall rankings. I love the sheer size of it, although it's bloody exhausting to ride!
2. Twister - Grona Lund: I really like this one as it's just so compact and unexpected. The drops and turns are all very sharp, forceful and a bucket load of fun.
3. Ravine Flyer II - Waldameer: Been nearly a decade since I rode this, and I hear it's going off a bit, but I loved the layout, the bridge and the location.
4. Boardwalk Bullet - Kemah Boardwalk: Enjoyed this one, but remember it being rather rattly. Probably this high up due to nostalgia from @Snoo, @Hyde and my piss-up next door... :p
5. Hades 360 - Mt Olympus: When I rode this coaster was unbearably rough, but I did like the tunnels and inversion.
6. Cu Chulainn - Tayto Park: I thought this was good fun, actually, but it's just not as good as the others...

Tell you something about being hung over riding a GG coaster. BB still delivered tho. :)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Waiting for @HeartlineCoaster to fill his list with Jungle Trailblazers ;)
Ah, missed these. I had them in my spreadsheet as M&V coasters, not GG - add those in I'd say:

3. Jungle Trailblazer - Oriental Heritage Wuhu: Basically got the best bits of #4, #5 and #7 of this list.
4. Wood Coaster Fireball - Happy Valley Shanghai: Good layout, good airtime, not too rough.
5. Ravine Flyer II - Waldameer: Been nearly a decade since I rode this, and I hear it's going off a bit, but I loved the layout, the bridge and the location.
6. Boardwalk Bullet - Kemah Boardwalk: Enjoyed this one, but remember it being rather rattly. Probably this high up due to nostalgia from @Snoo, @Hyde and my piss-up next door... :p
7. Hades 360 - Mt Olympus: When I rode this coaster was unbearably rough, but I did like the tunnels and inversion.
8. Cu Chulainn - Tayto Park: I thought this was good fun, actually, but it's just not as good as the others...

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Ah, missed these.
Was gonna question this, but you fixed it. Good man.

Waiting for @HeartlineCoaster to fill his list with Jungle Trailblazers ;)
Nearly 50% of the list :rolleyes:

1. Jungle Trailblazer (Zhengzhou)
- Visit the top 10 thread to see me gushing about this thing.
2. Fjord Flying Dragon - Goes on for days, delivers perfectly throughout.
3. Jungle Trailblazer (Wuhu) - Almost perfect with a really well executed inversion, just got one big slow turnaround.
4. Wooden Coaster - Fireball - First half is a bit of an older style with bigger drops and turns. Refreshingly gets better towards the end.
5. Jungle Trailblazer (Jinan) - Stays really low to the ground a lot of the time, with incredible results. Took a little time for me to warm to it and the inversion feels pointless.
6. Dueling Dragon (Blue) - Goes on for days, gets a little slow at the end. Shame it didn't duel.
7. Wood Express - Amazing little thing, delivers perfectly throughout.
8. Cú Chulainn - Starts strong, dies out quite badly.
9. Jungle Trailblazer (Xiamen) - Starts strong, dies out even quicker.
10. Twister - Cute and impressive ride but I didn't manage to fall for it. The restraints seemed awkwardly higher up on your body, the staff were stapling, Grona Lund in general gave me a headache and it was obnoxiously loud.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
This'll be easy:
1. Voyage. A monster of a ride. Bit brutal perhaps, not an easy one to whore, but still epic.
2. Twister. Yeah not bad for a littl'un.

Here endeth my experience of Gravity Group coasters.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Another fun 'ole 2 coaster list
  1. Voyage- I mean obvs, it goes on for days and will not. let. up.
  2. Mine Blower- A bit too aggressive for my usual liking (I had to call it at 3 rides), but it's one helluva ride.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Ooooh I like this one! It really shows how good Gravity Group is when it comes to designing fantastic rides!

1. The Voyage - for obvious reasons. Pure sex for three minutes straight.
  2. Roar-o-saurus - The only bad thing about this little dino is that it's in the middle of New Hampshire. It's seriously one of the most rambunctious rides you'll go on - the airtime is almost RMC intense.
  3. Mine Blower - Without a doubt the best new for 2017 ride. It's simply amazing that they were able to design a ride that packed such a punch and did so much in such a tiny footprint.
  4. Ravine Flyer II - RFII has not lost any luster in my eyes. Every time I ride it, I ask why I don't have it ranked higher than it is because it's so damn good.
  5. Hades - I haven't ridden Hades in 13 or 14 years and I have no plans on doing it again any time soon, but I remember a fun, intense ride that's likely improved with the corkscrew and Timberliner trains.
  6. Wooden Warrior - It sucks seeing WW at the bottom of the pile because it's still a great little ride.

I'll have to keep my eyes on this topic - I might get on Zippin' Pippin next weekend, Kentucky Flyer in July, and Switchback and Boardwalk Bullet in September.

Kalistos

Mega Poster
I do not agree with that statement as almost all of them rattle. In fact I dread to find one on my way in China (today was Fjord Flying Dragon thank god it's not the worse). And even more interestingly my chinese top is the absolute opposite of the previous ones, with Wuhu and Fireball being among the most horrendous piece of **** I have done in my short life. My personal top would be something like.
1. Dauling dragon (red, smooth af unlike the blue, God knows why, probably the only prodigious one)
2. Dauling Dragon (blue)
3. Jungle Trailblazer Jinan
4. Fjord Flying Dragon
[Timber, good but not the same scale)
5. JT Nanning
6. JT Xiamen
7. JT Zhengzhou
8. Mine Blower
9. JT Wuhu
10. Wooden Coaster Fireball

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
The Voyage
Ravine Flyer II
Boardwalk Bullet
Mine Blower
Cú Chulainn
Roar-O-Saurus
Twister
Switchback
Hades 360
Zippin Pippin
Wooden Warrior
Kentucky Flyer

Matt N

CF Legend
I do not agree with that statement as almost all of them rattle. In fact I dread to find one on my way in China (today was Fjord Flying Dragon thank god it's not the worse). And even more interestingly my chinese top is the absolute opposite of the previous ones, with Wuhu and Fireball being among the most horrendous piece of :emoji_poop: I have done in my short life. My personal top would be something like.
1. Dauling dragon (red, smooth af unlike the blue, God knows why, probably the only prodigious one)
2. Dauling Dragon (blue)
3. Jungle Trailblazer Jinan
4. Fjord Flying Dragon
[Timber, good but not the same scale)
5. JT Nanning
6. JT Xiamen
7. JT Zhengzhou
8. Mine Blower
9. JT Wuhu
10. Wooden Coaster Fireball
Interesting list! Also, I find it interesting that you pick up on Gravity Group coasters rattling; the only one I've ridden is Mine Blower, and while it certainly wasn't the smoothest of coasters in the front row, I wouldn't have said the rattling majorly affected the experience for me, and I certainly don't have the highest of roughness tolerances by any means! However, it is probably worth noting that I only rode it in the front; is it really that much worse in the back?

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Interesting list! Also, I find it interesting that you pick up on Gravity Group coasters rattling; the only one I've ridden is Mine Blower, and while it certainly wasn't the smoothest of coasters in the front row, I wouldn't have said the rattling majorly affected the experience for me, and I certainly don't have the highest of roughness tolerances by any means! However, it is probably worth noting that I only rode it in the front; is it really that much worse in the back?
I rode Mine Blower when it was merely a week old, so perhaps take my thoughts with a grain of salt; to be honest, I didn't notice a substantial difference in the roughness/rattliness between the front and back rows. There was a rattle present, however, which was amplified during the sections of Mine Blower when the train dove inside its structure.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I didn't find Mine Blower to be even the slightest bit rough. In fact, it was one of the smoother wooden coasters I've ridden. I think the people who claim it's rough are less traveled and/or have not been riding for quite as long though. I realize that many might not be old enough to have ridden The Villain or Son of Beast or all the old Dinns or CCIs that have been converted because they beat the **** out of their riders. Without those experiences, and with RMC turning most of those rides into ultra smooth thrill machines, I can understand why people would say that Mine Blower, which rides like an ordinary wooden coaster, is rough to them.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Not done many, done way more GCIs but here goes:
Ravine Flyer II- didn't live up to the hype, was rough
Wooden Warrior- decent for a kiddie cred
Should be getting some of the larger ones in a couple of months so will have a more rounded opinion then.