What's new

Rainbow MagicLand to join the VR Coaster revolution

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Looks like Italy will be getting their first VR coaster. I'm surprised it's Rainbow MagicLand instead of Gardaland or Mirabilandia.
Google Translate said:
It's official. It seemed yet another season without special news, however incredibly Rainbow MagicLand port for the first time in Italy a new technology, that of the VR, and it does beat all the time.
Yes, the largest amusement park in Rome will be the first park in Italy to implement virtual reality on a roller coaster.
Since June 2016 we can finally try out this new technology here in Italy, and not only abroad, where for several months to spread like wildfire.
It must be said that the novelty was announced a little muted by the park, for the moment the news is visible only and exclusively through a LED wall place just above the entrance turnstiles.
The LED wall bears the inscription: In June, check back to try the first virtual coaster of Italy.
Surely in the next few days, or at least with the approaching end of the month we will have some more news, first of whom coaster of the park will be implemented this new virtual reality.
And then all the other doubts therefore be dissolved, for example, what will be the boarding mode, if it will have an additional cost and whether it will be mandatory for all, or optional.
The first to break the news were our friends at Rainbow MagicLand Fans Page, who uploaded a video on their page that formalizes the news, after a few hours the news has gone around the web triggering different reactions among the public, with who has sided in favor of this new technology and those who are against.
As soon as we have more information about it we not delay in providing.
Source

So speculation has begun on which coaster will feature the VR experience. My first guess was Bombo, the park's Vekoma junior coaster, but from what I've been reading it's likely going to be Olandese Volante, the well-themed mine train. I would rather see it happen with the Cagliostro cred-in-a-shed since that's literally all it is, but VR hasn't been done on a spinner before and I don't think it's going to happen here.

peep

CF Legend
Hmm I think either rumoured coaster would work well and they have themes that could work well with VR. I'd hope they'll do what Mack did and produce the content via their media studio to create something semi-decent.

Interesting development for the park. I'd rather they spent money on another decent attraction but this should be good marketing wise for the park.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Weird! Probably the best themed coaster in the park.

Wonder what the VR will be, cant exactly be a smooth space flight? More likely an off road driving experience in a car with no suspension. Think it'll match the coaster experience quite well.

davidm

Strata Poster
ECG said:
...but VR hasn't been done on a spinner before...
Not at all important, but Kyary Pamyu Pamyu XR Ride (aka Space Fantasy) is a spinner (albeit of the Mack variety rather than the more spinny spinners (if that makes any sense)).

Anyway, back OT ; can we all get bored of this VR nonsense quite quickly please?

peep

CF Legend
^Can't really count that as they locked the cars so they didn't spin. I can't imagine somewhere like Rainbow magicland doing the same.

The link I posted seems to show a screenshot of what can be expected? Well I think that's where they've got that image from, looks poor enough to be for VR. So looks like it'd be a continuation of the current pirate sea voyage theme.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
BREAKING NEWS Rainbow Magic Land's management are stupid!!!

Seriously though, I heard of the Vekoma suspended at Funspot that the ride was unable to sync the VR properly due to the wheels Vekoma use not making a tight enough contact with the track.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

davidm

Strata Poster
peep said:
^Can't really count that as they locked the cars so they didn't spin
Ah right, didn't realise that :oops: - so you just go forwards or backwards :( - the 'Space Fantasy' config you span a lot on.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
It makes the most sense layout-wise to put it on the mine train but my god that thing was jolty from new. I can't imagine it working too well with the VR.

Also, how did I miss that Space Fantasy was now themed to Kyary Pamyu Pamyu. Does it have her on the soundtrack?

peep

CF Legend
^Has her on the ride too.

Yeah, it'd be weird doing the whole thing just backwards. Someone on an Italian forum said it'd be cool if it span so you could see the whole 360 degree "world" but from what I'm hearing the phones used for these sets can barely cope with the processing of the images, a lot of spinning would just cause them to crash.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Bored of VR now. Almost considering starting one of those sticky topics "Parks getting VR" that I can look in, roll my eyes and then click out of it.