What's new

Questions, questions, questions...

dj-fireball999

Mega Poster
Okay, recently, coaster related stuff has been building up in my brain.... To the point where I feel like my head's going to explode. I've been meaning to ask a few questions on here for a while, as I usually end up thinking of another question to ask, which immediately pushes a previous question out of my head. So, this is my best attempt of typing up as many questions that are in my head at once. More may be added when I remember them... or not if I don't remember them...

1) Were Vekoma Corkscrew coasters successful? (such as Tornado's, Whirlwinds, Corkscrew with Bayerncurves etc.) <-- By successful I mean by the amount sold, popularity, enjoyment etc.

2) What is the radius of the corkscrews on a Vekoma Corkscrew with Bayerncurve?

3) What were the actual reasons for Arrow Dynamics/Togo/Pinfari/Schwarzkopf to stop making coasters? (apart from them going bankrupt - In depth reasons for each company if you get what I mean)

4) Is Kumali a custom SLC? Because I swear it's just a Shenlin, but some shouty over weight woman said it's a custom coaster because they apparently had to design the cobra roll to go over the lake. Surely that doesn't make it custom, even if they did?

5) Are Vekoma/Arrow coasters rough because the track rails are rough? or corners/hills/inversions aren't generally as smooth and not as well designed as the likes of B&M? or is it just the trains?

6) Am I right in thinking that coasters that are generally rough, are rough because of a gap between the up-stop wheels and track, and/or do not have spring loaded wheel systems?

7) Are/were the trains used on Wipeout at Pleasurewood Hills/Superwirbel and Corkscrew at Alton actually made by Vekoma? As one of the Alton Towers fan sites says that they were made be Morgan?

8) Were Vekoma linked to Arrow Dynamics in any way?

9) What is "heart lining?"

10) Is Space Invader 2 very likely to be removed soon?

Any answers will be much appreciated.

:--D

jayjay

Giga Poster
I can't answer most of these but...

1) How are you defining successful? They sold a fair few, so they are in that sense.

2) Corkscrews aren't circular. Are you sure you mean radius?

I think your answer to 5) is 6)

A

Anonymous

^ The corkscrews on Arrow/Vekoma's are circular if you look at them from the right direction.

1) In my view, Yes. Since they gave customers a cheap looping coaster. and that they have sold about 15-20 of them.

2) I think that they are the same as all the other ones that they have produced, no idea on what diameter though.

3) They went bust, it's that easy, some got sued, and other just ran out of money.

4) Kumali is a clone on the custom SLC that is Shenlin (or "Snow Mountain Flying Dragon" as it's really called), there are two other coasters that are based on that same layout, but with an added helix at the end.

5) I don't think that the track itself makes the coaster rough, it's a combination of track and train that does it. A good transition is a lot smoother then a bad one.

6) In a way yes.

7) The first generation (the pointy/square ones) are either made by Arrow or under license by Vekoma, the new rounder ones are based on the Arrow but made by Vekoma, and then there are a few more train models that have been produced over the year, but not all of them are made by Vekoma (some are made by Kumbak, Schäfer Amusement Technology, etc.).

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
1) Not sure what you mean here. Vekoma are fairly successful. They've got 250+ coasters in loads of different parks around the world. They're not as expensive as other rides so they are often popular with smaller parks or parks on a tighter budget. You can see on RCDB the number of different coasters of certain models that they make.

2) No idea.

3) I'd assume it's to do with bankruptcy. If the company does bust they're unlikely to keep making coasters. I'm sure there will be another member who knows a bit more about this topic.

4) I always thought it was a Shenlin. I may be wrong though. If they made some minor adjustments to account for the water then it might not be considered a Shenlin, but it depends how major the adjustments are.

5) Don't know why Vekoma aren't as smooth as other coasters. It's probably something to do with the track shape or the lack of spring loaded wheels. I'm not sure.

6) I've never been clear on this one myself actually. I suspect it's due to gaps between the wheels and the rails (not just the up-stop wheels but also the side wheels). Spring loaded wheels would help. Someone else might be able to shed some more light on this one for you.

7) Not a clue.

Sorry that I've not been able to give you full answers on all of your questions, I'm sure some other members will be able to help.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Seeing as you've added another one:

8) I don't think so. I think they just share a similar track style. Infact I'm pretty sure they're not related, but I'd like someone else to confirm or correct my thoughts.

A

Anonymous

8) The first coaster's that Vekoma produced were made under a License deal with Arrow, so the early trains, tracks, etc. are identical to what Arrow had. Vekoma also functioned as Arrow's European Dependance, supplying spare parts, etc.
So yes they were linked in a way.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
A few thoughts...

1) Yes, basically. These days, they're crap, but they sold a fair few of them (20+ Vekoma if you look at the various types), and they were hugely popular at the time. Just look at what Corkscrew did for Alton. People used to queue for 4 or 5 hours for it when it first opened, it was all over the news and was still iconic when it finally got removed. For a lot of people, a "crappy" Arrow/Vekoma Corkscrew was their first "big" coaster.

3) Arrow essentially went bust because of X at Magic Mountain. It's been discussed before, and 'm sure other people know/remember more details, but the development of the 4D coaster crippled them.

Togo is a bit more difficult to say for definite. Knott's Berry Farm sued them over Windjammer Surf Racers, but they didn't win the case. Togo have made nothing since though, apart from a kiddy coaster or two. They're still an "operating" company, but they don't manufacture anymore.

4) Kumali is a clone of Shenzhen Happy Valley's SLC, as has already been said. The English translation of "Snow Mountain Flying Dragon" isn't used at the park. It's known simply as "Suspended Coaster."

5) Boring stereotype. There are plenty that aren't.

Error

Strata Poster
9) Heartlining is the point that is central to a rollover. Most heartlining is done to the center between the riders to insure that it makes a comfortable transition and reduces stress on a train. It's the reason why colossus has that "endless barrel" look to it:

359768434Zvlkqu_fs.jpg

And Maverick had to remove it's roll because of bad heartlining (To the track, not the train, so it made it painful).

Hope that helps

Snoo

The Legend
^Maverick's heartline roll was taken out moreso because of the damage it would cause to the trains. The only person to ride it, Sandor K. said it was rideable.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Did Arrow and Vekoma have a relationship? They used almost identical track and trains, and it's only since Arrow went west have Vekoma started to phase in their new track style, but that may be to do with themselves going bankrupt and trying to distance themselves from their past.