What's new

Question about adult/child admission policy

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Last week I visited Adventureland, in New York, for the first time (surprising, since I’ve lived nearby in NYC for decades). I enjoyed it.

But I just couldn’t get over the weirdness of the admissions price structure. Adults over 25 years old are charged $32 USD. All visitors under 25 are charged $42 USD. I couldn’t wrap my head around the rationale of charging kids more than adults. How does that help the park? It was Spring Break and the park was slammed, so I suppose they’re not having trouble getting in families even with this odd pay structure.

Then it occurred to me to ask here: does anyone here know of another park anywhere that charges kids MORE than adults??

TilenB

Strata Poster
I remember seeing that for Halmstad Äventyrsland back when I was looking it up for a possible Scandi trip in 2016. It seems that everyone that isn't a toddler pays the same entrance fee nowadays. I think Mini Mundi in The Netherlands still does that as well, but back when I was looking into it they didn't seem to allow adults on any of the rides (which might have only been a covid related measure, since it doesn't appear to be the case anymore).

Christian

Hyper Poster
That's pretty standard procedure for indoor playlands. The rationale is that the kids will be the ones paying and the adults will just be there to supervise the kids. Therefore the adults are no the ones using the facilities as much and pay less.

For indoor playlands. Usually the kid is charged and the adult is either let in for free or for a lower price.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
That's pretty standard procedure for indoor playlands. The rationale is that the kids will be the ones paying and the adults will just be there to supervise the kids. Therefore the adults are no the ones using the facilities as much and pay less.

For indoor playlands. Usually the kid is charged and the adult is either let in for free or for a lower price.
That’s clearly more understandable when only the children will be using the facilities. Adventureland is a family amusement park, and all the rides I saw were rideable by adults — and were being ridden by adults as much as by children. 🤷‍♂️