What's new

Putting on the spin...

What is the best way of getting maximum spin from a MS spinning coaster?

• Fat to the back, skinny to the front

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Skinny to the back, Fat to the front

• Diagonals - Fat, skinny, fat, skinny

• Fat to one side, skinny to the other (left or right sides)

• Nice and even weight distribution

• Total voters

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
In a Maurer S?hne Spinning Coaster such as Spinball or Dragon's Fury, what do you find is the best way to get maxium spin-beans from it?

Chaz and I had a brief discussion about this on Saturday.

I've always find you put two little ones going upwards on the hill lift, and two fat chuffers (or larger than kids (seeing as I rode with Kaz on one of them :lol: ) )going up backwards. As you go down off the hill lift, the car flips as the weighted end tries to decend faster than the lighter side, and causes the spin...

Chaz says that the best ride he's had though was with the fat chuffers at diagonals, so you have an alternating heavy/light back to back/side to side combination.

Of course there is then trying to evenly distribute the weight or putting your heavy ones to the left or right "sides".

What do people find are the best combinations?

Angel

Hyper Poster
Stick only 3 people in the car. Light one on their own one side. The two heavys on the other side and you will get what Peep, RJM and me once got at Chessie. It was fabulous!

I think there probably is a maths to it but you also just need to wait and see. Ive tryed nearly every conbination a few times and sometimes they work, others they dont!

Although its good fun sitting next to Kaz and giggling all the way round LOL!

So yeah 3 people - 2 bigger ones + 1 teeny one = Wooooooo!

Aaron

Hyper Poster
Here's the formula...

Three people, one light, one medium, one heavy.

On the front left, you put the light person (ie. me) front right - medium (ie. erol), back, behind the medium person, the heavy person (ie. chris)

It results in INSANE spinning madness.

Martyn

Giga Poster
Getting three people on isn't easy though as the spinners are usually filled up with single riders. Although CWoA wasn't running its SRQ much of last season was it?

Aaron

Hyper Poster
Yeah, it's a rarity to get only three, but when it happens it's great.

(and two people is even better - first ride of the day it was just me and erol - we span like mad!)

robbeal

Hyper Poster
I think as Furie said, it usually works pretty well to stick to larger heavier people on the back side so that it pulls around when you go down the drop. We tried that formula twice on Dragon's Fury at Ghosterforce, and it worked pretty well both times.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It did Rob, but I don't think it works quite as well on Spinball... It does until you come up on the brake run before the drop into the Immelman. From that point, the spinnage tends to stop... Whereas it's constant on DF. I think it's because DF tends to be less twisty, SW has tight corners the stop the spinning in this configuration.

The problem is, that SW if you don't get those initial spins is pretty rubbish. :D

joe

Mega Poster
Stone Cold and I got a great spin on DF, we had two really big people behind us. It was like - front: light & medium, back: heavy & heavy. Or you could just have a car to yourself.

I picked 'Fat to the back, skinny to the front'

AeRo

Hyper Poster
I say f!t to the back.....I remeber GF at Chessington with c&r, matt and an extremely popular minor_furie! :wink:

kir

Hyper Poster
It's always better if you put the biffting munts in the back.

Other than that, I really just think it's pot luck of weight distribution, I know I've tried leaning around in all crazy angles trying to get the weight to go to one side so it spins. It appeared to work, but it could have just been coincidence.

tks

Strata Poster
AeRo said:
I say f!t to the back.....I remeber GF at Chessington with c&r, matt and an extremely popular minor_furie! :wink:

haha.

The best one I had was me & minor_furie facing backwards in the station. And then Ian & Furie on the other side..

It kept spinning all the way up the second lift hill :lol: