What's new

Public Sector Strike November 2011

TP Rich

Hyper Poster
Today, millions of [strike]greedy bastards[/strike] public sector workers went on strike across the UK. Instead of actually caring about the chaos they were causing, they spilled into the streets waving placards and smashing shop windows. In London, workers were even burgling buildings and throwing flares at police. Direct results of the strike also included schools closing, 999 calls not being answered, hopsital operations being cancelled and dustbins not being emptied.

What irritates me, is the ridiculous double standards of schools. My vice principal went on strike today. Funny how he's the one who would be giving you hell if you were to take any time off of school as your education is "far too important", yet it's perfectly fine to disrupt it when the teachers are all going on strike. They also don't seem to realise that it's not just them that are in the financial mess.

What do you think of the strikes and how have they affected you?

Ben

CF Legend
I think teachers get a ridiculously good deal ANYWAY, and they're still better off than private workers... OK, it sucks things aren't as good as they were, but, that kinda has to happen.

I also don't think all public sector workers should get the same sort of benefits anyway. I think a nurse has it loads harder than a teacher, and they should get more. I think a far amount of people have a stick up their arse about working for the public sector, and I don't know why? If they'd never been in the better position anyway, they wouldn't have thought they deserved to be?

Strike didn't effect me though, and neither will the changes. I agree it sucks, but, I bet in the contracts for the pensions it says they have the right to change it if they need to. By the time most of the people retire I bet there'll have been a change back ANYWAY.

TP Rich

Hyper Poster
Yes, it isn't a good thing that they are being affected by cuts, but it's not just them that are being affected, and they are to achieve nothing by causing chaos throughout the country and being generally ignorant.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Meh. Didn't affect me. Don't know the politics. Don't really care.

Maybe I should...

tks

Strata Poster
What chaos? In fact my journey to work was free of traffic this morning, so if all you public sector people could maybe start work at 10am every day that would be fab. Although soon there will be 700,000 less of them soon to get in my way in the morning <3

People living longer = higher retirement age. Simple.
Paying more into your pension rather than having private sector taxpayers plugging the gaps. Makes sense no?

People need to give over and just get used to the fact for the next decade things are going to be pretty **** in the economy and that the excess of the 90's & 00's can't go on. Some woman on bbc news was complaining that her christmas was cancelled this year. So you can't afford to buy a bigger tv, big **** whoop.

TP Rich

Hyper Poster
^ Please don't use the old traffic one! XO

The chaos I'm talking about is the chaos meaning that thousands of children had to spend the day in their parents' workplaces, airports were overcrowded as hundreds of flights were cancelled, dustbins were left unemptied, libraries closed across the country, hospital operations were delayed, tube systems were closed, buses and trains were cancelled or late, 999 calls were not answered, not to mention the sector workers crowding into our town centres, waving ridiculous placards, smashing shop windows, and breaking into buildings in London. The major inconvenience they have caused will never make up for 'less traffic'.

Personally, I believe that they should sack everybody who is striking, and give the jobs to people who can do them well, and make the country a general better place.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^You CLEARLY don't understand this whole subject then. I know nothing much about it other than sacking the strikers will not work. Just think about it.

Stop pretending like it affected you (or the rest of the world). I can look out over Sheffield from my bedroom. Appears to me as if everything is in working order. There are no black-out, apocalyptic scenes of destruction, blazing infernos. Tomorrow no-one will give a toss.

OK, maybe that's a bit far, but just chill out man. There's no way it was a bad or damaging as you appear to make out. Not from what I saw of it anyway.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ Can I ask, have you even left your house today?
Uuu... I've had at lectures from 9am (my lecturers have better things to do than strike), and then I've had a seminar at 1pm. In the middle I was checking in with my Study Abroad adviser and personal tutor. Neither of which were on strike.

If that wasn't enough, I walked down to University this morning, past the small pockets of protesters and EVEN got the bus home at about 2pm. Don't insult me.

Ben

CF Legend
TP Rich said:

The chaos I'm talking about is the chaos meaning that thousands of children had to spend the day in their parents' workplaces, airports were overcrowded as hundreds of flights were cancelled, dustbins were left unemptied, libraries closed across the country, hospital operations were delayed, tube systems were closed, buses and trains were cancelled or late, 999 calls were not answered, not to mention the sector workers crowding into our town centres, waving ridiculous placards, smashing shop windows, and breaking into buildings in London. The major inconvenience they have caused will never make up for 'less traffic'.

Personally, I believe that they should sack everybody who is striking, and give the jobs to people who can do them well, and make the country a general better place.

You think the worst part of the strikes was the disruption, and your idea is to SACK everyone that was on strike?

You realise that'd mean there'd be no people doing those jobs for months at least then, right? How many operations, buses and airplanes would be delayed then? You try and find enough unemployed teachers to fill up all the positions left by the sacked ones.

You're moronic.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I have to explain to my mother all the time that "things aren't any worse, they are just different".

I can never, ever, ever understand why people cannot bloody see that. And they cannot see that there must be a logical reason why the changes are made. And that they cant see how it would be worse if they were not.

I'm with Ben, especially his point about people expecting more for no logical reason. I mean, take a look at Greece.

Thing is, this is just human nature. We all stand around moaning about things without thinking why they are done. Personal favourite example is when people moan about a lack of carriages on trains. Yeah. And how are they going to FIT the trains onto the platforms...? Oh you didn't think of that did you. Imagine having to close loads of stations to make the platforms longer.

**** sucks, but really... it's just different **** to before. Other stuff gets better, but people pay no attention to that.

This is why I really, really don't get politics. It doesn't matter which party is in power, because it will just be a different assortment of pros and cons. No better, no worse, just different.

Perhaps this apathy I'm exhibiting here is dangerous for some reason I'm overlooking just like what everyone else overlooks, but really you're a lot happier if you stop listening to what the population thinks and just get on with it until something genuinely effects you. When it genuinely, actually, properly effects you, then stand up and make a stand. Frankly, I don't believe many people are effected HALF as much by the **** they complain about.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
People should actually know what the **** they're talking about before spouting complete s**te. The majority of people couldn't give a **** about the strikes, and that's fine, but don't start a "controversial" topic with such a heated initial post based on something you clearly know nothing about.

TP Rich, because you're obviously a child I'm not going to have a go at you. Otherwise, I would be calling you a complete **** ing idiot.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Sorry Gavin, can't help myself and I've quite frankly got far less tolerance of complete buffoons.

So then.

TP Rich said:
Today, millions of [strike]greedy bastards[/strike] public sector workers went on strike across the UK. Instead of actually caring about the chaos they were causing, they spilled into the streets waving placards and smashing shop windows.

Kindly show me where ANY public sector worker was smashing shop windows. You think they don't care about the chaos? Aye, it's not like loads of them are having to put in the extra time to make up on what they've missed out on doing today to make sure they uphold the quality that's expected of them, is it.

In London, workers were even burgling buildings and throwing flares at police.

Again, I'm going to call you out on this. Source, please. Because a few pussy little 'anarchists' with some V masks on who trundle down some stairs when shouted at by a police officer are NOT public sector workers, they're more than likely unemployed eco-hippies who rely on the benefit system the very people they whinge about help uphold, but that's more a rant aimed towards this stupid Occupy movement for another time and another thread.

Direct results of the strike also included schools closing, 999 calls not being answered, hopsital operations being cancelled and dustbins not being emptied.

Schools closed for one day, no evidence whatsoever that 999 calls went unanswered, hospital operations that were not essential were the ones that were cancelled, and oh, no, dustbins can't go one day without being emptied?

What irritates me, is the ridiculous double standards of schools. My vice principal went on strike today. Funny how he's the one who would be giving you hell if you were to take any time off of school as your education is "far too important", yet it's perfectly fine to disrupt it when the teachers are all going on strike.

Ermm, when's the last time you took a day off of school to protest at being expected to pay more for your slimmed down textbooks?

TP Rich said:
airports were overcrowded as hundreds of flights were cancelled,

Quite clearly, you live in an imaginary world where logic, reality and common sense are mere mystical creations.

I think Ben answered this comment approriately with the following.

Ben said:
You're moronic.

Personally, I don't agree with the strike, even though my mum is affected and was on strike today. I fully believe that everybody must pay their share in this crisis, and the public sector are not exempt from this. Yes, it's pretty outrageous that they're being expected to pay more, for longer, to recieve less, but that's unfortunately the harsh reality of the situation.

I also disagree with the whole notion of strikes in general; they achieve **** all and do nothing but cost money, time and effort.

That said, the thing that's really irked me today is uneducated mongs commenting on the issue as if they have some sort of understanding of it, tarnishing all involved with the same brush, and using the same recycled arguments that they're entirely unable to defend because they're merely passing on what they've been told by self-fulfilling politicians.

I've seen some idiots today condemning the strikes today because they, working in the private sector, "have to pay taxes". Well done thicko, so do most of the public sector.

nealbie

CF Legend
TP Rich said:

Well, unfortunately for you, TP Rich, I was in London today and I'm quite frankly disgusted at your load of **** frankly.

I walked alongside the main march for a good 20 minutes too. There was nothing hostile, it wasn't even particularly noisy (apart from the awful, awful vuvuzelas LOL). I made comment that it was a very 'British' protest, very organised, purposeful and restrained. Everyone who had reason to, or wanted to be involved, was - those who didn't stayed clear.

I can't speak for things like the Newcastle Metro Network, but I'm pleased to be able to tell you that the London Underground was offering a good service on all lines (apart from a slow service at times on the Piccadilly Line).

There was no violence, there was no mass panic, etc, etc. Just those acting on feelings that they hold in a peaceful, considerate and legalised manner.

Also, having worked in a library, I can put your mind at ease and let you know that closures would not have caused unnecessary stress and create feelings of anger and bloodthirst amongst any, and would have affected very few on a gloomy Wednesday afternoon.

Happy to be of assistance. ;)

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
tks said:
Paying more into your pension rather than having private sector taxpayers plugging the gaps. Makes sense no?
I hope that's tongue in cheek! Not only do public sector workers pay a contribution towards their pension, they also pay the same rate of tax as you do, so they too contribute towards their pensions. Effectively, a public sector worker is paying twice for the "gold plated" pension.

I agree that the people are living longer, therefore the pension age should be raised.

The fairest way to solve this would be to allow current public sector workers to keep the pension they signed up to. Any future people employed in the public sector should get the reformed pension scheme.

The public sector had a really good run during the Labour administration and enjoyed great pay increases. It's only fair that the public sector now takes a pay freeze and capped increases for the next few years.

Did the strike affect me? No. I have no illness or children. I'm no drain on the public purse. I didn't strike, neither did any of my colleagues. I can't afford to lose a days wages, especially when I have to save for a poorer-than-I-expected retirement :wink:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ian said:
The fairest way to solve this would be to allow current public sector workers to keep the pension they signed up to. Any future people employed in the public sector should get the reformed pension scheme.

This really. When you sign up to a job and sign a contract of employment, you agree for remuneration for the work you do. That will be money paid to you directly, but may also be in terms of pension, health care plans, etc.

They don't have to give you any more than you signed up to, but you should always expect the base level you agreed to remain the same. Or, if you've been paying into a "company savings scheme" for that money to still be there for you, even if the employer stops paying into it.

What's happening is essentially that the public sector workers mums and dads are saying "we've got to reduce all future Christmas presents by two presents a year from now on".

Okay, you say, that's gutting losing out on a couple of presents, but it's a recession, I understand.

Then they say "oh, and we'll also be taking one present off you from every past Christmas too. Bye bye XBox!"

The former is fair, the latter isn't. However, it's not been fair on the private sector for many years either with most private sector workers losing massive amounts of pensions while lining the pockets of the finance sector who are the only people that never seem to suffer ;)

As has been said, the biggest issue is really ignorance (and I'm guilty of this too, I only have a brief understanding). You have to listen to all sides before you can make a stand on an issue and that means actually listening to real people, not politicians and bankers who live in a golden rich cloud-cuckoo land.

Mark

Strata Poster
Ian said:
tks said:
I hope that's tongue in cheek! Not only do public sector workers pay a contribution towards their pension, they also pay the same rate of tax as you do, so they too contribute towards their pensions. Effectively, a public sector worker is paying twice for the "gold plated" pension.

I agree that the people are living longer, therefore the pension age should be raised.

The public sector had a really good run during the Labour administration and enjoyed great pay increases. It's only fair that the public sector now takes a pay freeze and capped increases for the next few years.

Did the strike affect me? No. I have no illness or children. I'm no drain on the public purse. I didn't strike, neither did any of my colleagues. I can't afford to lose a days wages, especially when I have to save for a poorer-than-I-expected retirement :wink:

I couldn't agree more Ian. Particularly the part about how to deal with it. That seems the most logical and fair way about it. Also, Ed... believe it or not, we do pay the same tax as you so how exactly does the private sector taxpayer 'plug' the gap moreso???

I entered the public sector knowing the pay might not be as great as would it could be elsewhere but, after finally thinking about pensions and so on, it made more long term sense to do so.

I've seen some great 'examples' of how best to explain it. For instance, if you go into a mobile phone shop and they give you a great phone with 600 mins and 600 text a month free for say £30. After a few years of loyally paying your bills etc they then decide that they are upping your bill to £45 and reducing your free stuff to 400 mins and 400 texts. You would be pretty darn naffed off would you not. The difference being here is that you could just shop around and get a better deal. It isn't so easy when you are looking at a job, your whole livlihood.

Im not overjoyed about the pay freezes and caps etc but I think I can make do. However, I am struggling to work out how on earth I am going to manage both an under inflation 1% pay rise and my monthly pension payment going up 50%... I don't know if I will even be able to afford the pension anymore...