What's new

Predicting the most successful new coaster type of the 2020s.

What new coaster type will most succeed in the 2020s?

• Swing Launch, Intamin

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • Axis, S&S

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • T-Rex, RMC

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • Steel Track, GCI

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Next Gen Flying Coaster, Vekoma

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Suspended Thrill Coaster, Vekoma

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Other

Votes: 4 7.0%

• Total voters

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Into the new decade a lot of new concepts are being introduced/announced or waiting for a buyer. Which one do you think will pop up the most at parks?

Howie

Donkey in a hat
My money's on T Rex.
When one of those things eventually lands, it will be huge. Not just huge in terms of physical size, but in terms of the impact it will have on the community. I confidently predict that the next 'Steel Vengeance Moment' will be when Schilke & Co unleash a full size T Rex onto the world.
I just hope that when they do, it will be somewhere that most of us can get to, and not some faraway sushi-land. Which, let's face it, is the most likely outcome. :(

I could see the Vekoma STC being pretty successful. I'm not sure what the shelf life is like on SLC's, but seeing the way quite a few older steel inverting coasters are going at the moment, surely a few of them must be nearing the end of their run. With that in mind the Vekoma STC is just a direct replacement and that could be a pretty effective model for success. Would love to see all of these models do well though over the next few years, especially the axis and t-rex.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Thinking back to 2010, would have probably missed the RMC call entirely and went in deep on something like Intamin Megalites, B&M wing riders, or GCI (which is half true with the Chinese wooden coaster market opening up).

Intamin Swing Launches still seem to have a lot of runway - only a handful exist at present and the application is immense for providing a new launch novelty, and maximizing land use to achieve greater heights and speed in a smaller track footprint. I imagine there should be another solid 3-5 years, until RMC figures out that 500 ft. T-Rex. ?

Coaster Cinema

Mega Poster
Suspended Thrill Coasters. For one Vekoma is cheaper than B&M or Intamin. Their coasters are extremely reliable too, I've never seen a Vekoma break down before. They also give parks an option to replace their outdated, waning in popularity SLC's with something new and improved.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Why isn't the Raptor in this list? I reckon the low cost will prove immensely popular.

I didn't add the Raptor model since it was already built in 2018 and I wanted to focus on models that have been announced but not built yet. (In fairness, Intamin has already implemented the Swing Launch on Soaring with Dragon, but I'm rather referring on their fast-switch element combined with the swing launch)

I much agree the Raptor's low cost, and high thrills in a smaller footprint has much potential though!

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Do the T Rex ones offer any cost advantage over a normal coaster?

I guess nobody knows yet, not until somebody actually buys one. But when RMC first touted the single rail concept they talked about it being much stronger than twin rail coasters, therefore needing fewer supports, less groundwork and less maintenance resulting in lower costs that way. That was a few years ago now though, and since RMC's are now the well established, must-have ride for any major park I would imagine that Grubb n Co have put their prices up a bit since then.
More recent interviews with Schilke suggest that they're ready and willing to build a massive T Rex, they're just waiting on some dumb schmuck to stump up the cash, which kinda implies that it ain't gonna be cheap. :)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I guess nobody knows yet, not until somebody actually buys one. But when RMC first touted the single rail concept they talked about it being much stronger than twin rail coasters, therefore needing fewer supports, less groundwork and less maintenance resulting in lower costs that way. That was a few years ago now though, and since RMC's are now the well established, must-have ride for any major park I would imagine that Grubb n Co have put their prices up a bit since then.
More recent interviews with Schilke suggest that they're ready and willing to build a massive T Rex, they're just waiting on some dumb schmuck to stump up the cash, which kinda implies that it ain't gonna be cheap. :)
A 500ft tall coaster is going to be expensive, regardless who makes it. RMC might be cheaper than Intamin, B&M, etc, but whoever is insane enough to get RMC to build a T-Rex is already looking at spending mega-bucks.

I'd be interested to know the realized saving of the single rail over a normal coaster. Wonder Woman and Jersey Devil don't look that much different to what we're seeing from Intamin and Mack nowadays. Especially factoring in how small the trains are on those two. I suppose a 10% saving is better than nothing though...

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Of those listed, I have the most faith in STCs or GCIs, simply because they are smaller, less complex, and cheaper than the others. Flying and Axis coasters have trains that must be a nightmare to maintain, T-Rex coasters are too big for most parks to fit/afford, and the rapid switch swing launch coasters are both big and complicated. Steel-track GCIs and "simple" Vekoma Inverts seem to fit within the price range/available land are for a lot more parks.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Obviously depends on what is classed as 'success'.

For the ride type which will prove to be the best received and loved, I reckon it'll be Intamin's swing launch. Swing launches have already been a hit the past decade, and Intamin launches are incredibly popular and well received. Put the two together, and you've got a formula for success. People will lap the ride type up.

For what will pop up the most, no doubt the Vekoma STC. Modern day SLC with added benefits of new-gen Vekoma being great and customisability? Massive win. And it'll be the biggest success story out of the ones listed.

I'm sure there'll be other ride types that pop up that aren't on the list, however. Look at RMC - they wouldn't have been on this type of list 10 years. Same with double launch coaster and swing launch coasters. Whatever the next BIG thing is for this decade will end up being, I'm pretty confident we don't know what it is yet.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I'd be interested to know the realized saving of the single rail over a normal coaster. Wonder Woman and Jersey Devil don't look that much different to what we're seeing from Intamin and Mack nowadays. Especially factoring in how small the trains are on those two. I suppose a 10% saving is better than nothing though...
I'd even further project that while the single rail does save money vs. previous generation track design (thinking the OG Intamin triangle track), other manufacturers have also adopted equal practice in saving on track material and cost. So the real cost savings I would see on the Raptor track simply equates to using smaller sized trains, which reduces track gauge and cost. The RMC T-Rex (whenever we see one) wouldn't surprise me if it has the same price as a comparably sized Mack, Vekoma, or Intamin.