What's new

Positive and Negative G's

Mack

Mega Poster
We have to remember that the duration over which the force is applied makes a huge difference. The body can tolerate excesses of 10g momentarily, but over a period of seconds this would cause many people to "black out."

Tower of Terror sounds right, as >6 is fairly unusual on a roller coaster. Even sustained >5 can make people feel faint and/or momentarily black out, such as the pretzel loops on B&M flyers and the helices featured on some hypercoasters. I'm unable to find the G-force readings on the basic B&M flyer pretzel loop, but I'd be interested to see them, as Tatsu at SFMM makes me nearly black out.

I wonder if some older wooden rides wouldn't be in contention for negative. For example, Jack Rabbit at Kennywood hits a double dip so hard you can hear the upstops slam the track and the main wheels don't return for about a second on it.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
I know Skyrush hit's -2 and sitting in the back the airtime over the top of the lift-hill into and through the first drop is the strongest airtime I've EVER felt on any ride. My legs still hate me for it.

Intricks

Strata Poster
****...jack rabbit hits 5 gs apparently. Nothing about the negative.

Apparently Steel Phantom hit 5.1 during its 2nd drop onward. Maybe spamming that when younger caused me to not grey out at all today.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Mack

Mega Poster
And that's why modern loops have their clothoid shape. (The 12gs were hit because the loop was completely circular and had to be completed via centripetal force as upstop wheels had yet to be invented).
I think he means currently operating rides. ;)

Though that does make me wonder if some Schwarzkopf rides might break the 5 - 6 barrier in their nearly circular loops.

bergochdalbana

Mega Poster
^ That list is seriously out of date, and is missing loads of rides.

Youngster Joey said:
I know Skyrush hit's -2 and sitting in the back the airtime over the top of the lift-hill into and through the first drop is the strongest airtime I've EVER felt on any ride.
I doubt that, without any scientific data, then this is just speculations.
T-Express do on the other hand produce -1.5 g's on the first drop.

Intricks

Strata Poster
That isnt speculation. That was put out by Hershey themselves. You hit -2 on the drop and following two airtime hills.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
I can't find any official statistics for it, but Moonsault Scramble supposedly gave >6.5 positive G's of force.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Intricks said:
That isnt speculation. That was put out by Hershey themselves. You hit -2 on the drop and following two airtime hills.

You beat me too it. So I'll say again -2 is the strongest I've heard of.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Youngster Joey said:
I know Skyrush hit's -2 and sitting in the back the airtime over the top of the lift-hill into and through the first drop is the strongest airtime I've EVER felt on any ride. My legs still hate me for it.

Yeah, I rarely ever see recordings for negative Gs but -2 HAS to be the highest out there. I've not done em all but I concur, I've never felt air time like that ever.
If there is a coaster out there with more than -2 that's a pretty scary thought!

I know I305 hit 6Gs in that turn (at least pre trim)

T0M

Hyper Poster
12G, even for a moment wow, that loop must have been under serious stress. Can't imagine what that'd feel like.

The back seat of a Boomerang when it reverse-falls into the vertical loop feels prety intense, especially as a kid. I can't image more than double that on my body, let alone on a wooden structure. Any pictures/videos of Flip Flap Railway?

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Flipflaprailway.jpg

There ya go.