What's new

Portaventura visit and review , September 2019

Hypercoaster_fan_uk

Roller Poster
I have recently been to visit portaventura for the first time, I spent 3 days total, the last day I split between ferrari land and the main park. the park was open till 12 pm on all the days I spent. I want to give a rundown of my opinion of the rides, and the park In general. This will seem somewhat long winded, and I'll get the coasters out of the way first.

Red force. For the height and speed I expected this to be mind blowing, as my first accelerator coaster, and it really underwhelmed me. The launch is moderate, reaches a high top speed, but is seriously rough and bumpy along the launch track. As soon as it begins to hit the incline it smoothens out and is enjoyable. The drop after the top hat is probably the best element, there was no airtime on the top hat. I think I rate shambhala over red force, it just didn't do it for me ?

Shambhala. Its a decent hyper but probably not in my top 5 European coasters. Loved it in the front seat, plenty of ejector, back was still enjoyable but not as forceful as it could (should) be in my opinion. Decent height and super smooth, could marathon it all day. Still think I prefer silver star personally. Rode twice in the dark at 11 pm, very front and back. There's something about riding at night for sure.

Dragon Khan. Good layout, reasonably forceful, showing its age in terms of smoothness. Trains would probably benefit from softer restraints. Certainly would cause a headache with more than one ride a day. Still a decent ride, certainly worth your time.

Furious baco. Very rough! Felt like I'd done 10 rounds with Mike Tyson after one run. Launch was good, everything else was like medieval torture.

Stampida. Its a wooden racer. It's old, it's going to be rough. I sat third row from the back, was bearable and had little bits of airtime mixed with badly profiled turns and lots of shakes and bangs and knocks. Still worth a ride, the first drop was quite good.

El diabolo, the mine train. Like a poor man's big thunder mountain, pretty much force less, maybe good for a first biggish coaster for kids, a step up from the wacky worm ?

Tami Tami, the kids coaster in sesame adventure. Excellent first coaster, very smooth and actually has decent forces for its size. Perfect for little ones.

Notable mention.

Hurrican kondor. The drop tower stands at 330 ft with a drop of around 280ft I believe. Rode at night, first time on a free fall tower and it didn't disappoint. Very tall, beautiful views, and a forceful drop which actually got the blood pumping!

Biggest disappointment.

Drop towers in ferrari land. Restraints are flimsy and crap, I ratcheted the bar down and then was able to push it back to the next click! Older towers didn't ratchet at all, they were infinitely adjustable, (i.e. Ice blast at bpb). belts which restraints have plastic buckles that I wouldnt trust to hold a toddler in a pram, and to top it off the least forceful launch and drop I've ever felt in my life. Build quality has gone down the pan on these models.

Rode a few generic flat rides too, nothing really notable, although the splashbattle they have is very well themed.

The park as a whole is very well themed, and all of the areas look spot on, not as good as phantasialand or europa park, but still miles better than the UK parks.

Sesame adventure is a great area for kids, with lots of attractions and great theming. The new sesame street mission ride is immersive and fun, being a 4d dark ride shoot em up of sorts, although you collect fractions of cookies rather than shooting down the cast of the muppets.

The best food in the park for the price I felt was to be had at the cantina in the Mexico themed area. The building is air conditioned and nicely themed inside.

All in all a great park in a good area with excellent weather, its been 30 degrees every day, and still warm on a night time. I think europa park and phantasialand are still on a higher level, but I have enjoyed my stay all the same.

If you've made it this far thanks for reading?

Last edited: