What's new

(Portaventura Part 2) The Rain in Spain Falls Mainly on the James

jayjay

Giga Poster
CF's resident European explorer and trains nerd is back with another trip report. I'm currently on board a very long train from Alicante to Barcelona, so figured I'd knock out a first trip report to kill the time in between admiring various Spanish mountains and coasts (more of that when I post the next portion).

The Plan(TM):

Day 1 - Terra Mitica
Day 2 - Tibidabo/Barcelona
Days 3-7 - Portaventura/Barcelona in some combination (any last minute recommendations very welcome)

XYzMfJT.jpg

Our quest for donkeys wearing hats begins here

Part 1: jayjay and the Unexpected Parade (Terra Mítica)

Anybody following my trip planning topic will know that the whole thing had to be cut short and so Terra Mítica ended up as a bit of an awkward add-on to a Barcelona trip. In fact, Terra Mitica mostly existed to make the whole trip difficult plan. Good thing I got everything there on the first trip, haha.. haha.. ha. Heurgh.

First daunted by the thought of a 7am Ryanair flight to Alicante on a weekend, it turned out not to be a problem. Ryanair were only about half an hour late, and the early morning departure meant our soon-to-be-lobster holidaymakers were more sedate than I'd been lead to expect.

First problem, I couldn't find my hotel room...

aWSBDpR.jpg

As a webdev, I'd be lynched for not making this joke

Terra Mítica is a little bit out of the way. I stayed in Alicante overnight, and took the tram out to Terra Mítica station. Pro-tip, this is a great idea because the coast is gorgeous (although my current journey is even better)!

UNimAFf.jpg

y9fUhfW.jpg

Now, if you want to attack this one without a car, I'd recommend turning up in the morning where there is allegedly a free transport service to the park. I turned up at around 3.30 and walked it. It's possible to walk the distance in about 30 minutes, but they clearly don't expect anybody to, as it involves walking up the exit road to the car park.

Jah3yQp.jpg

The important thing is, we're here and Spanish weather is being Spanish weather

I don't quite know what to make of Terra Mítica. It's got lots of scenery and being on the side of a hill, it comes naturally with great views of the coast and Benidorm. There's just something wrong that I can't put a finger on. Maybe because the place felt empty on a Saturday afternoon. Maybe it's all the tropes and music I'm used to but in a very different setting.

UKk4JIB.jpg

But seriously, there's a distinct lack of people in this photo of the entrance pavillion

Rfu7QL9.jpg

The theme of Terra Mitica is "things I studied in primary school history" but with the notable exception of world war two

The lack of coasters probably didn't help. I knew I wasn't getting Magnus Colossus, but it turns out it wasn't the only closure, with the SLC out of action. I don't normally complain about missing out on SLCs, but with the effort I'd put in to fit in Terra Mitica, it did sting a bit.

WcjyCoV.jpg

SPITE!

OcQ4Qb0.jpg

Views are lovely, but views are not a +1. Also, money

But the other two are not too bad. The kiddie coaster has faux-wooden coaster decoration, which looks great. Coaster is poo, but it's a kiddie cred, I'll give it leeway. The other is the Zacspin. Now having done three of them, I'm concluding that Zacspins aren't the problem, only the one in Sweden. **** Insane. It's still not the best, but it's at least smooth and didn't make me hate my life.

kKv5DX5.jpg

3KhZP1s.jpg

Congratulations, you win the "actually not as bad as it looks award" (following Sequoia Adventure's 2017 victory)

6pAh5XM.jpg

The creds had made me walk all the way up the hill, so the rest of the visit was a simple backtrack and explore. The park is excruciatingly linear, so, though there isn't a whole lot of stuff to do, it still takes ages to walk from one end of the park to the other. Still, at least it means I couldn't easily miss anything. The star flyer gave me plenty of opportunity to feel bad about not getting Colossus even though everyone hates it.

5JqIX6M.jpg

Sometimes you just want what you can't have

The drop tower only serves to remind me that Huracan Condor is coming up and Apocalypse really was amazing with the stand-up seats. Their drop tower was only sit down, but it was walk-on so can't complain too much. The arena is also up this end of the park, so I caught the end of an acrobatics show.

0UJEIqf.jpg

If this is themed to Reddit, I'm expecting the performers to serve up lots of memes, then call me a cuck for not supporting Trump

14tQdiV.jpg

Oh, nevermind. It's actually a Eurovision interval performance - good lighting though

5z5SZBy.jpg

This dog looks extremely concerned

I walked past a couple of other things that looked worth doing. First of all, a dark ride, and oh Jesus Christ...

SMbSWNC.jpg

I'm already terrified. That is clearly not of this world

It wasn't amazing, but still ok. Had some decent set pieces and creative touches here and there, but built up a decent atmosphere. Still, probably only on par with Tomb Blaster.

jTstKwo.jpg

And I got the car entirely to myself, which is nice

And finally, the log flume. It takes the curious decision to do the big drop first, then make the obligatory backward section. Not the most exciting really, and not that wet which I'd have expected more of for Spain.

z8VPRFc.jpg

This is exactly how wet the log flume is (taken after the main drop) #whyIDontDoSelfies

And that's about it. There's a more exciting looking water chute ride up the hill, but with the weather starting to turn (the rain in Spain falls mainly on the James), it seemed as good a time as any to head back.

AOITgza.jpg

Thanks for having me! Now please go sort out your German translation

So yeah, everything feels a bit lifeless, which is a shame because the place as a whole has a lot going for it. I guess I didn't miss out on much with the closed rides but I go by the motto of ride everything once.

saJHjoJ.jpg

This tram stop feels like a cinema, it's weird

Turns out Alicante was gearing up for its annual festival "Hogueras" and there was a very lengthy parade down the main street.

bZzwEIB.jpg

nfia4d7.jpg

35e4pkm.jpg

yKZYJuI.jpg

[iThe tourist buses... guess they're indirectly picking on me[/i]

TFUQepK.jpg

I'm happy with Mary Poppins as figurehead of the UK. We'll say those tourists were actually American

This parade seemed to be a big deal. It was still going at least an hour after I was trying to go to bed. My brain wants a nice early night, but the parade says lol no.

Think of this report as an early instalment of the report proper, which will probably come once I'm back home. In the next part of the report, you can see all of the scenery that was attempting to distract me from writing this report (and as usual, will look awful shot on a mobile camera). Tibidabo is currently calling my name, and Barcelona is warmer than this hostel bed I've moved to, so I'm off.

jayjay

Giga Poster
jayjay and the Inexplicable Mascot Recycling (Day 2: Tibidabo)

You join me back where I was starting to write the trip report for Terra Mitica: on a train journey from Alicante to Barcelona. It's a rather pleasant affair, travelling past various Spanish montains and settlements. If train journeys bore you, skip down about ten pictures to where I start coastering.

kfyspPP.jpg

Is this Ed Sheeran's castle on the hill?

vmTwTF9.jpg

If you like rocky hillsides, this is a good journey

mlQy2Nm.jpg

Our in train entertainment started with a DVD of some kind of sports biology documentary. I leave you this single out-of-context image

pPeNlRA.jpg

Suddenly creds appear (more on that in a couple of days)

1P8jYuN.jpg

The stretch between Port Aventura and Barcelona is particularly photogenic, which is good because I got to do this a few more times

1199tP2.jpg

Our second lot of entertainment: Spanish generic brand soap opera as far as I can tell

vhvsDkc.jpg

Report coming along nicely

0i7g3b0.jpg

And we've made it to Barcelona... no wait, this is definitely Birmingham New Street

There's some coaster reporting coming up soon, I promise! Checked into a hostel near Paraŀlel station and dumped bags before heading straight back out to find a theme park on the hill.

Despite being in a major city, Tibidabo is a little awkward to get to. I'd recommend trying out the bus service from Plaça Catalunya rather than what I did, which is to get an L7 Metro to Av. Tibidabo...

3bxk2Aj.jpg

Not enthralled by Barcelona's Metro. This is the only station that seemed to much of any exciting decor. Cheap though

...then walk up a big hill to the funicular...

DW6QyUg.jpg

You get to walk up past some very Spanish looking buildings

8B59aQY.jpg

This is a decent park to walk up through

...Funicular railway up to the park. You get a discounted package by buying the Funicular ticket (expensive) and park ticket together. And arrive at Tibidabo!

AgbtYd1.jpg

Spoilers, this wasn't taken on the ground

It's a funny little park really. There's no shortage of places in Barcelona to get good panoramas of the city, but this is probably the best. The church at the top of Tibidabo is visible from almost everywhere in the city, and likewise, you get a 180 degree view of the whole city from much of the park.

wO9y6ZX.jpg

The theme of this trip report is "pictures with Barcelona in the background"

eRGDw4X.jpg

There are two coasters, and they're both worth talking about. First, Muntanya Russa, Vekoma's way of apologising for their SLCs, because wow, this thing is fun.

fjTNev4.jpg

Not only fun, but gorgeous too

hAFlNnC.jpg

This is my surprise of the trip for sure. It's an unassuming thing that threads itself between trees and rocks. The highlight is the first drop and first turn, because giving riders an uninterrupted view over the city was a stroke of genius! It's alarmingly fast as well. Great fun!

The other coaster is a Mine Train and heurrrghg, whyyyyy...

TKmROYS.jpg

Either that's a very popular ride, or just maybe it's been cursed with virtual reality

So the mine train... it's a VR affair. This means that the line moves very slowly. But I noticed as I stood there, the line wasn't really moving at all. It broke down. Time to explore elsewhere, maybe that haunted hotel thing...

eqdAwv1.jpg

Oh FFS!

I spotted some other interesting looking attractions up near the top of the park. Not least the "Museo d'automats"

0NZjYbY.jpg

Mce04DU.jpg

Oh good, I was looking forward to nightmares tonight

KQlQJ3m.jpg

This one is literally about people's souls descending into Hell. A family amusement park!

There's also the hall of mirrors, which had an enormous queue. This isn't the sort of stuff I go for, but when there's this many people going for a hall of mirrors, maybe it's going to be ok?

v0forR2.jpg

I've never done an attraction that requires the wearing of gloves

5coWSWT.jpg

Yup. Those are mirrors alright

VQJlUlS.jpg

I wonder what's in this cabinet...

x986o1J.jpg

It's another mirror!

That was a thing that exists. How's that mine train coming along? Oh, it's back open. Cred time, then! Now, as I observed the demonstration videos for the VR (because I'm observant and incredibly bored), I couldn't help notice one tiny detail. Just a little thing.

MI8nmnU.jpg

That's Ed and Edda, the Europa Park Mice

I did the Alpinexpressen VR mine train back at Europa Park last year, and it looks like they've just swiped the characters and the VR sequence. Except they haven't exactly, because it's still synced with the Tibidabo ride, and ends with a panorama flying over the park. So it's specifically made for Tibidabo, but with recognisable characters from another extremely popular park. Thought about going back for a non-VR reride, but the queue wasn't diminishing.

Back up near the top, we have the ever popular bucket-on-a-stick: the ride. The view is exactly as beautiful as you expect, and the rocking motion of the bucket is deeply unnerving.

x2q02J0.jpg

DFObyHb.jpg

No European city trip report is complete without a picture of a church

Aeroplane-on-a-stick was, regrettably, out of order, so the last in the genre of "weird Tibidabo high up things" was the monorail and... seriously.

What in the everliving **** is this ride!?

ID9MGRT.jpg

The normal outside bits conceal the weirdness within

So we have a suspended monorail. Simple enough, it's a way to get more vistas in. But then...

...it goes inside and it suddenly becomes about lighting and sound effects. At the end of the ride, we got ambushed by a staff member in a goblin mask. WHAT!?

Back on the funicular to escape this weirdness...

OZTPN02.jpg

So yeah, it's certainly an odd place. It's so weird in places, that I kind of have to recommend it. Definitely worth going for Muntanya Russa and some of the high up rides.

Last edited:

jayjay

Giga Poster
True dat. Have added a spoiler tag. Will aim to get Port Aventura part 1 up tomorrow or Wednesday. That's going to be the more serious park review, followed by the zany escapades looking for donkeys with hats.

jayjay

Giga Poster
Part 3: jayjay and the Frustrating Operations (PortAventura Day 1)

I'm going to time-hop a bit here and get the theme park stuff out of the way before I do a last post about Barcelona. This isn't CultureForce!

The last properly "big" park in Europe for me was PortAventura. From Barcelona, it's a simple to get to. Rock up at one of the main stations, hop on an orange train and go west (life is peaceful there...)! You can buy combined park/train tickets for days out but for a two-day campaign, it works out slightly cheaper to buy a two-day ticket and train tickets separately.

rZhiPoj.jpg

My usual plan for new large parks is to march right to the back of the park for the large coasters but really should have noticed the staggered openings and done Baco on the way through. You live and learn, I guess. First stop: Dragon Khan!

4d7vyZ9.jpg

Netween this, Sadiq and Citizen, this is the best

Dragon Khan is a decent ride. I think I've mellowed on this kind of 'pure force' kind of looper. Dragon Khan is a solid ride, but a far cry from when I rode Kumba in 2007 and instantly knew it was my favourite. Particularly jarring is the head-rattle when the train hits the bottom of the first drop. It's a lengthy layout with some punchy elements (forgot how good those B&M zero Gs were).

B6G6WDu.jpg

Tran...

KVJQrw4.jpg

...sition

I was worried about Shambhala. It's praised to the heavens here but knowing my preferences, I expected to be a little underwhelmed. As it was, I was spot on, though undoubtedly hindered by the single-rider queue (which is excellent, by the way) batching me right into the middle twice. The reason I love rides like Taron is the way they're untamed and angrily trying to rid you from your seat. Shambhala, aside from not having the strongest airtime machine, just doesn't really surprise me. The pull up through the tunnel and the speed hill coming back are the undoubted highlights.

(It gets better on day 2, where I have some more rerides)

8y0SweV.jpg

Can we also talk about PortAventura's operations? Like how Shambhala was already incredibly popular with a one hour plus queue but PA said '1 train lol.' It might be the most frustrating park I've been to, because the place is gorgeous. Here's a picturesque shot of the two main coasters through the trees:

f3GZIrf.jpg

Every trip report needs this photo like every Phantasialand report needs multiple Taron pictures

Their line-up is equal parts varied and high quality. It just needs somebody to grab the staff and tell them "y'know maybe one train on Shambhala when the queue is two hours isn't a good idea." Or maybe it just sells more fastpasses. I go by the motto "assume incompetence before malice" but I honestly wonder about PortAventura.

The sheer size and annoying layout make PortAventura a bit burdenous to try and navigate, so definitely go for the approach of making your way around in order. El Diablo, the mine train is just next door and it's fine. Just... I don't think I really do mine trains, but it finishes with flair, so I'd give a six.

tcRKA8x.jpg

Huracan Condor is the logical next step. One hour and one sit-down side later, I decided I didn't like the way Condor is managed either.

J4upRF1.jpg

Hidden gem alert: this spin 'n' spew is genuinely really fun

In an episode that surprised me not even the slightest amount, the two woodies are gross. Tomahawk is the less gross of the two, and only had a ten minute wait to boot. But it was brace o' clock on Stampida, which unfortunately meant I needed to bear it twice to get the two sides. We all make sacrifices

6eFTe3n.jpg

Love a self-captioning photo

Y7NonVk.jpg

Spotted in the Stampida queue. Andorra's tourist board clearly doesn't have the budget any more

SJ5lO1g.jpg

Ever heard an animatronic vulture singing Sex Bomb? Wait in the Tomahawk queue and you can!

Really, what I was trying to do right now was manage time to fit in Templo del Fuego, since I've heard many good things. Instead of waiting forever for the next show, instead I trudged over to get Ferrari Land over and done with.

COj05IB.jpg

Still. One. Park. You twats.

eowny1U.jpg

I'm certainly not the market for Ferrari Land's brand of 'look how awesome Ferraris are' ****ery. Unfortunately, I'd decided to start my exploration with the flying theatre, which is the absolute worst for it. I didn't get a huge amount out of the flying theatre because I was sitting right on the end. Big Ben looked decidedly curved. It seemed they were steadfast in reserving the middle seats for fastpasses except there weren't any. Well done PA!

LYuKGbK.jpg

If you want a 10 minute advert for fancy cars, step right up!

The whole area is strange. It turns out shiny, sleek, metallic architecture doesn't gel with historic Italian city scenes. Who woulda thunk it?

Qx8d62c.jpg

Just look at how none of this fits together

But we're really here for Red Force, of course. I'm bewildered by their choice to put the single rider queue halfway up the main queue, though the line was only about 15 minutes at this point in the afternoon. To my astonishment, PA were actually running this with multiple trains.

4ysk2fm.jpg

The launch sound is just orgasmic

Yeah, this is exilhirating. I've not known a coaster train that quite feels like it's going to shake itself apart, and the forces are all over the shop. Not quite top 20 material, and I still think I prefer the stronger forces of Stealth. But still, great stuff!

Back in the park proper, I headed for Templo del Fuego via the world's most beautiful kiddie cred.

sc1hcG4.jpg

Wish this rode as beautifully as it looks

MKJ7cu9.jpg

This ride is half the reason I delayed my trip to June (aside from ridiculous opening hours for some parks) because only opens halfway through the year to be extra annoying. But it really is that fun! It's a balance of comedy, mild horror and exciting visual effects that I'd recommend as a must for a PortAventura visit.

Apart from picking up a couple of other natty rides here and there, just Furius Baco to go. It taunted me. The queue stood anxiously as we listened to an endless loop lecturing us that the ride was down in three languages. But the wait was worth it, as it sprung to life once again. To add to the good fortune, The ride-op picked me up as a single rider from about 20 minutes back in the queue, then batched me to what is apparently the "good seat" (front in the middle).

6spt6Mk.jpg

The aesthetic of this ride is off the scale

So, even in the good seat, riding this coaster at its best? S'alright. The launch and the first hill are fantastic, but then it just does nothing. If you're in one of the seats that rattled, I can see why this is a maligned experience. Didn't do it on the second day, what a shock!

6xJSebq.jpg

aEzZNvL.jpg

True to tradition, these rapids are not very wet at all... or good

Not enough time to venture back into the park for the big rerides, but just in time for the parade and a tickbox of the rapids.

v8ZVk48.jpg

So how exactly did PortAventura get the rights to Woody the Woodpecker?

XIM8y3N.jpg

Cookie Monster piloting a ship is exactly the image I needed to end the day

My god, this is a frustrating park! It's got so much going for it: the rides are solid (though a little underwhelming to me), the scenery is consistently detailed and immersive, but everything falls apart because they can't be arsed running operations to the standard I'd expect for such a park. Shambhala and Red Force are my favourites and by a hair, I've put Shambhala in my top 20. I'm back tomorrow for some rerides and to complete a very special quest ;-)

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Had the same issue with Shamebhala. They were actually announcing it was one 1 train due to weather conditions, though the weather was completely average in every aspect, so not sure what it was really about.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I love your trip reports Jayjay - they're dead good. Very, very funny!
I especially like how you include pictures of the trip report itself being written on a laptop! That's a first, surely? :D

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Barcelona is the ****ing best place on the planet and I miss it so much. Still mad I didnt pay for Tibidabo despite being at the gate.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jayjay

Giga Poster
Barcelona is the :emoji_zipper_mouth:ing best place on the planet and I miss it so much.
What I got from Barcelona was that you could have whatever kind of holiday you wanted there. Beaches? History and architecture? Museums? Shopping? Mountains? Theme parks? All there!

tomahawk

Strata Poster
What I got from Barcelona was that you could have whatever kind of holiday you wanted there. Beaches? History and architecture? Museums? Shopping? Mountains? Theme parks? All there!
I was there 2.5 years ago and in one day it was beautiful beach weather, walking along the coast, to needing a jacket and getting mountain views on the top of Tibidabo mountain. I was only there for basically 2 days, one extremely jet lagged, but I seriously cant wait to get back and go to all the museums and theme parks I missed. Just beautiful <3

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jayjay

Giga Poster
Day one at PortAventura proved a great introduction to the park. A high quality wide selection of rides, scenery and landscaping that exuded atmosphere and queues to annoy the pants off any sane human being. But one thing was missing. Once upon a time, a Mr @Howie foretold of donkeys with hats and quite frankly I felt short changed! Maybe they hid deep inside. Time to investigate.

R1Fp8pL.jpg

This image doesn't track my journey through the park at all, but it looks cool so let's roll with it

Nothing from the first day imparted much of a clue from day one. Fruitlessly, all I could think was to try Tutuki Splash in the hopes of something hiding there. All it did was get me wet, but not in a sexy way.

TtOVJ0l.jpg

On a wetness level, it's a step below Valhalla, but only just

Maybe some divine intervention to help me find what I was looking for. Could I find a God in Port Aventura? Yes!

gfiTVXs.jpg

After trying to make some kind of connection with the shrine, I remembered that I'm actually atheist and that is a prop, so I sodded off to Shambhala

Apparently the secret to finding donkeys in the park was to get some sort of out-of-body experience on Shambhala. Maybe it could get my chakras in line or some kind of other new age bollocks.

7RhU0gy.jpg

5ANMNNs.jpg

VaHKlaE.jpg

Ah well. It improved on my rides from the previous day, but nothing that blew my mind to the cosmos. I continued searching and exploring, hoping for signs of anybody else in the know. In the distance, my ears picked up an almighty roar: the calling card of the unmuted B&M looper. But Dragon Khan had its minions protecting it. Readying for some kind of altercation, it became apparent that the dragon guard was actually high on meth.

GtInmUe.jpg

I ****ing love Rollercoasters!

You're no use. Maybe I could head back to the temple of fire for more clues. Maybe I could make a sacrifice to the god of doom. Suddenly, who should I bump into, but the explorer from the day before. I swear I watched her die in a firey pit of death yesterday.

94jGTIt.jpg

I tried to get more info on the donkeys, but she just kept on bothering me on whether I wanted to be rich, reassuring me not in the sugar-mama kind of way. "But think of the gold, the treasure and how famous we could be." I just stood back and pointed out that she tried yesterday and I'm not into burning alive, tbh. Don't want to say I told you so.

That was no good. I found a horse to sit on for a bit to gain some inspiration.

oXUrMJA.jpg

I mean a horse is like a donkey... let's see

63Md2Ld.jpg

Yeah. Yeah maybe

Suddenly, it came to me! Who knows the park better than the mascot? I should go and find Woody and see what he has to say.

rrJKtGv.jpg

And it's his birthday (though something tells me it's his birthday every day)

p2hj9pl.jpg

New best friend

After wrestling my hat back off the mischievous bird, he rattled off something about Sesame Street. He liked the red one because he is also red. Conveniently, PortAventura has a Sesame Street area, so I headed off.

RMcEDYf.jpg

Could they be here?

Dy1Yqba.jpg

Elmo is red. Maybe I should look here

This looked like the place! I couldn't spot anything with hats from the distance but there was certainly a donkey or two. I hopped aboard the manliest of tractors for a closer look.

RMcEDYf.jpg

Yes! Donkeys. No! Nothing has a hat. Quick, improvise!

AgLhOO2.jpg

Et voila! Donkeys with hats

But thinking back to Howie's comments, I think he was thinking of real donkeys. What can I say, mate. Tried, but can't find anything.

tckIt9m.jpg

I queued ten minutes for a kiddie-non-cred to finish the punchline to this report, I hope you're all happy! Look what's in the background.

Well, at this point, I thought I might as well catch up on some extra things I'd missed out on so far. How about that stunt show in the wild west area?

0m8W2vjr.jpg

One of these characters is gay. One of these characters is the president of the United States. Can you tell which?

aacbcHb.jpg

One of these characters is still gay

That was hilariously poo but with some good stunts. They finished by throwing fake money at the audience like in the Fiabilandia show. Is this a Wild West thing I'm not in on? Grabbed a Dinosaur 3D cinema thing too. Also poo, but not hilariously so.

4JZRfAy.jpg

Except this dinosaur. It is fabulous! Scenery looking a little bit "Temple of the Nighthawk" in the background

Day two as a whole was busier and felt even more faffy than the first day. Didn't help that my estimation of quiet days was off as the place was swamped with teenagers. Shambhala was advertised with a two hour queue for much of the morning but it took everyone a while to find the single rider. Operations were still just as bad. The ride-op on the kiddie-not-cred stopped somebody from taking a picture of their kid on the ride at the station, which came across as very scummy (there was an ORP).

tTpBRgs.jpg

Back to the hostel. I'll put together some kind of write up of Barcelona as a whole at some point.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'll admit, @jayjay, that this was like reading the ramblings of a mad man. Entertaining, however!

jayjay

Giga Poster
I'll admit, @jayjay, that this was like reading the ramblings of a mad man. Entertaining, however!
I reached about halfway through and realised that's how it'd end up, but I'm the sort of person who sends a bad idea through to the end. I preferred my original plan of printing out a picture of a donkey in a hat and subtly hiding it in frame.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Cool report! Well written and some funny bits too. I really like that you also talk about the culture and sightseeing stuff as well :)