What's new

PortAventura Park | Sesame Street: Street Mission | Dark Ride

oriolat2

Giga Poster
During the media day for Junior Red Force, Fernando Aldecoa, PA's CEO, has revealed that the main park (aka PortAventura Park) will be receiving a custom dark ride in the Sesame Street area in 2019.

According to Aldecoa, the dark ride will cost 15 million euros and will be themed to Sesame Street characters

PA-Community has mapped out where the dark ride should be placed:

51e4e30fbf23244e0791bf17bd2a929ba1e8361f.png

Source of the aerial picture: PA-Community.com
Source of the news: Diari de Tarragona

I hope this dark ride has its own show building and they don't have to reuse Dino Escape's (former Sea Odyssey). This way, the park gains another roofed attraction, which is much needed, especially during blazing hot summer days and winter, since the park only has Templo del Fuego and Dino Escape as of now. (Not counting Ferrari Land's Flying Dreams and Racing Legends.)

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
Good decision PA! Should certainly add to the park's lineup! Also, the view from Shambhala's ampersand should be interesting!

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
The park was in desperate need for a good dark ride but I can’t help but feel like a new coaster would have been so much better.

It’s been 7 years now.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Yep, a good dark ride is just what they need. I expect to see a new coater come in the early 2020s, maybe before that.

spicy

Giga Poster
Was excited when I see the topic title, was hoping for something like Symbolica which would be perfect as PA is lacking a world class dark ride.

But meh.. Sesame Street and 15 million euros isn't going to be enough for this to be trackless. Enough to make a decent dark ride for the kids though.

zazobo

Hyper Poster
Was excited when I see the topic title, was hoping for something like Symbolica which would be perfect as PA is lacking a world class dark ride.

But meh.. Sesame Street and 15 million euros isn't going to be enough for this to be trackless. Enough to make a decent dark ride for the kids though.

Yeah... I'm not particularly excited.

Matt N

CF Legend

It's better than no dark ride at all, in my opinion!

nadroJ

CF Legend
How fabulous! Exciting to see what this turns out like. Wouldn’t it be fab if they got the Elmo dark ride from Universal Singapore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peep

CF Legend
Wouldn’t it be fab if they got the Elmo dark ride from Universal Singapore?

I don't think this will be the case but that would be amazing!

I'm very intrigued by this news though, hopefully it's something as equally fun as the Singapore attraction.

Scott88

Hyper Poster
The park was in desperate need for a good dark ride but I can’t help but feel like a new coaster would have been so much better.

It’s been 7 years now.

I agree, personally I am not that bothered about PortAventura getting a dark ride when a new coaster is badly needed in that park, for such a big park with huge popularity, they do not have anywhere near enough coasters.

I suppose we can only hope that 2020 will be the year they decide to build a new coaster.

Tulum

Mega Poster
I was in the park last week. As the construction site is only visible from Shambhala, there are no pictures. They have erected the columns for the building and the structure for the roof was visible. Not an exciting construction site so far.

Matt N

CF Legend
It looks as though this will be quite a small dark ride, but I'm sure it'll be lovely for PA's smaller guests! Another indoor attraction should be good for those hot Spanish summers, too!

Out of interest, is it known what sort of ride system we should expect?

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
It looks as though this will be quite a small dark ride, but I'm sure it'll be lovely for PA's smaller guests! Another indoor attraction should be good for those hot Spanish summers, too!

Out of interest, is it known what sort of ride system we should expect?
I'd possibly expect an interactive dark ride, but it's near impossible to tell at this point. It could even be a boat ride for all we know. :)

vaugc002

Mega Poster
One of their most-recent investments was a boat ride in the form of a Splash Battle so I can't see them adding another, albeit an indoors one.
Would love to see a trackless dark ride tbh...

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Keep in mind that this is a low-budged dark ride at, if I recall correctly, 15 million euro. This is almost half what they invested in Shambhala. I am pretty sure this will be a medium-sized cute addition, nothing mind-blowing. I prefer it to be that way. PA is just not the right park to install a dark ride because for starters they don't know how to maintain their hardware in top condition. Keeping effects, animatronics and a ride that's show-ready every day is a big task to undertake, and I don't think PA have the will to pursue it based on previous examples (see: Templo del Fuego not running all year round despite being an indoor attraction, Sea Odyssey effects left to rot, Flying Dreams having some rows out of service frequently and so on).