What's new

PortAventura | Ferrari Land | New Area

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I think one of the things that makes or breaks an LSM launch is whether or not the train pauses before the launch. On Thunderbird, it pauses before the launch, and gives it a nice 'snap' to it. But with Helix and most Gerst. Launch Coasters, it rolls into the launch, and instantly picks up speed without you feeling much. A ride that I can compare this to best is Intamin Impulses. You can most definitely feel the first launch, which is slower than the top speed. With the other 3 launches, you don't really feel them as much as you're already moving, despite it being a faster launch.

So hope for a paused launch or a launch out of the station.

Lofty

CF Legend
andrus said:
Ben said:
Yeah, parks aren't going to pick launch systems based on what we want, they'll pick them based on cost and efficiency.

With LSM launches as good as they are now hydraulic launches are out of date and I'm not sure we'll see many, or any, more.
This is more like it. If PA will go for LSM's; it'll be because it's a more reliable system. It's a bold move though, since the weaker launch could potentially backfire on them if visitors will find their new bad ass ride "lame".
I really don't agree that the general public will think the ride is lame because it has a second or two different at reaching maximum velocity. The sheer height and speed of the ride will be enough for them to enjoy it. This is my entire point that you seem to be missing.

_koppen

Hyper Poster
I really don't think it will have a magnetic launch. The 5 second launch is probably just marketing saying "under 5 seconds" or they could just have asked Intamin to step of the gas pedal a bit and make the launch less intense.

Magnetic launch for this dosen't make sense, the hydraulics main advantage is the long train without increasing the power consumption (as well as the added intensity). I can only imagine how much energy a 5 car train going to 180km/h would require with magnets.

Would love to be surprised here though, new/improved magnetic technology would be awesome, but I doubt it.

Lofty

CF Legend
_koppen said:
I really don't think it will have a magnetic launch. The 5 second launch is probably just marketing saying "under 5 seconds" or they could just have asked Intamin to step of the gas pedal a bit and make the launch less intense.
In terms of PR, you wouldn't do that, "In under 3 seconds" is far more impressive than "in under 5 seconds" - PR doesn't work about making things easier for the people to understand, it's about boasting and being the biggest/best.

Ben

CF Legend
Who says it'll have a long train?

Everything points towards magnets - the time it takes, the fact no one uses hydraulics anymore etc

We'll see but the smart money is on magnets.

andrus

Giga Poster
_koppen said:
Magnetic launch for this dosen't make sense, the hydraulics main advantage is the long train without increasing the power consumption (as well as the added intensity). I can only imagine how much energy a 5 car train going to 180km/h would require with magnets.
Interesting! I remember seeing this a while ago, but can't remember where. And while quoting it here on CF, nobody believed me. Do you have any source of this statement, is it Sandor who said it perhaps? :) I think power consumption would be a huge plus for hydraulic launches tbh, especially when we're turning into a more sustainable society. Also; hydraulic launches requires less space since they can get the train up to higher speeds quicker, which is always desirable with big rides like this one (less space equals smaller footprint and less steel in construction) I remember that was the key factor that made it possible for CP to build TTD.

And I'm not saying that it will be a hydraulic launch, I'm just saying that it should be :p

Lofty said:
In terms of PR, you wouldn't do that, "In under 3 seconds" is far more impressive than "in under 5 seconds" - PR doesn't work about making things easier for the people to understand, it's about boasting and being the biggest/best.
Tbh I don't think the general visitor of PA would notice the difference in marketing the launch as "3 seconds" or "5 seconds"; I think they'll find it equally impressive! (what they will notice though is the difference in ride experience) It could very well be that someone in marketing was looking at the ride, which is bigger and faster than Baco, and thought that it would take a couple of seconds more to get it up to full speed. Of course that's only pure speculation!

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Footers for the coaster have been poured:

th720_4e2c86f8e6dd7a6376be28945dd73f5f.JPG

th720_b4f9d88e6df097b12d8006df3edb095d.JPG

th720_7b1b1218372ae28feacf1a6f7c8c6c71.JPG

Source: PA-Community

I wouldn't be surprised if the thing is already up in 2016. However the park said Ferrari Land wouldn't open until 2017... Would you have such a monster coaster that sticks like a sore thumb fully built and not open it for another year?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Hmmmm, not really. Remember this is an entire new park build.

Looking at other new parks, admittedly mostly in China these days, the coasters are generally the first things to go up before the rest of the park gets built up around them.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
gavin said:
Hmmmm, not really. Remember this is an entire new park build.

Looking at other new parks, admittedly mostly in China these days, the coasters are generally the first things to go up before the rest of the park gets built up around them.
It's not always true, but I would imagine this is the case for most big new developments. The coaster is (for the most part) going to require the biggest cranes needing the most difficult access. This is why these new developments always seem to build the coaster (ie. pouring the footers) so early.

Almost always, access is the driving factor in construction schedules.

_koppen

Hyper Poster
andrus said:
Interesting! I remember seeing this a while ago, but can't remember where. And while quoting it here on CF, nobody believed me. Do you have any source of this statement, is it Sandor who said it perhaps? :)

I can't remember it anymore, it was a long time ago I learnt about the facts of the hydraulic system. But I have read several interviews who stated it, and Sandor is most definitely in at least one of them. ;)

oriolat2

Giga Poster
So, according to PortAventura's PR guy, the main tower of the coaster should start being erected next week.

Can't wait to see it towering all over the place!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAnmnQMSmg0[/youtube]

The video doesn't give a lot of details away but it's nice to have someone from the park talking about projects for once as they are always so hush-hush about ongoing construction...

Mods, should we leave this in Park Construction or start a separate thread for the coaster once it starts going up?

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Yeah. I am thinking they might go with LSM launch for this one given the stats, but you never know...

I am also wondering what is the purpose of these spikes on the supports...

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
oriolat2 said:
I am also wondering what is the purpose of these spikes on the supports...
Just a guess, but are they going to be buried in concrete? Maybe the spikes are to try and restrict torsional loads? Might partly explain why they're unpainted too.

Scott88

Hyper Poster
Thanks for the updates Oriolat2, still wondering if this is going to be open next year or in 2017, I did email a contact at the park a few months ago who insisted it would be ready to open in 2016 but the press release attached to the email stated opening was 2017, so yeah confusing!

It's interesting watching it all come together anyway, thanks again for the updates!