What's new

Port Aventura |"Shambhala"| B&M Hyper

oriolat2

Giga Poster
New pictures from today!

Major changes: stairs to MCBR and most of the supports for the last section after the MCBR are up. Some pieces of the helix have also been placed and there are rumours that the last section of the first drop will be placed later today or tomorrow.

The station is also progressing nicely. :)

rollercoaster2012-158.jpg

rollercoaster2012-159.jpg

rollercoaster2012-161.jpg

rollercoaster2012-162.jpg

rollercoaster2012-163.jpg

rollercoaster2012-166.jpg

Source: Harman from PAfans.com

Brett7710

Mega Poster
The helix looks like it might be another half the height again when its completed, it looks massive already but it's difficult to put into perspective from that shot (no completed hills in the same picture.)

nealbie

CF Legend
The helix looks dreadful from an aesthetics point of view, it just screams RCT.

But it looks like it'll be a dream to ride as an element!

Lofty

CF Legend
JAMMYD777 said:
Really liking the progress on this now.

Love the look of that helix.

Pretty accurate idea of layout:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQTUcowYuII[/youtube]

2012 is a busy year for B&M

May consider venturing over to Spain in the coming years! :lol:
Actually, that isn't THAT accurate. Just before the splash down and after it is kind of false...

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
UC said:
There hasn't been an "official" layout release yet, right?

Everything I'm searching just keeps bringing up that really-well-done rendering by that fansite.

There is a model built by the park a few pages back.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
UC said:
I couldn't find anything here, but I found the model online.

Are we sure it's going to have an MCBR, or is that speculation?

The only reason I ask is because the supposed location of it is quite odd, and the itself doesn't appear as long as normal ones of its type.

In the last set of pictures you can see the evacuation stairs leading to the MCBR. Besides, PA have confirmed that the ride will be able to run 3 trains simultaneously, so MCBR are required.

Shambhala is not the first case of B&M hypercoaster with MCBR almost at the end of the ride. An example of this is Intimidator at Carowinds.

marc

CF Legend

I just hope they get the ride ops up to speed to be able to run three trains.

andrus

Giga Poster
The official model of the ride was presented on pages 50-52. And to refresh the memory, here's some pics:

thumb_shambhala_model.jpg

th720_AjcuHWPCQAEQ7Cn_1326916024.jpglarge

th720_AjcuHWPCQAEQ7Cn_1326916024.jpglarge

Lofty

CF Legend
Oh dear, let's see another 90 pages discussion about how the ride is going to be ruined by trims and compare this to Silver Star....

Thing is, not all trims are active, some are simply there so it's not over-speeding in that given area. So, let's hope it's one of them!

Nic

Strata Poster
^^^^ That's the first time I've seen those models, and it just upsets me. I can't get excited about this coaster. Every time I start to, I'm reminded that it's just going to ruin the way Khan looks. They should've built this elsewhere :(

Kebab

Giga Poster
Khan's had its moment of glory, it's about time they have a new coaster to step in for the place.

Snoo

The Legend
-lofty- said:
Oh dear, let's see another 90 pages discussion about how the ride is going to be ruined by trims and compare this to Silver Star....

Thing is, not all trims are active, some are simply there so it's not over-speeding in that given area. So, let's hope it's one of them!

To be fair, trims have killed a number of B&M's over the years. We won't know until the thing runs, but who knows. Here's hoping for the best.

marc

CF Legend

UC said:
If it's magnetic, it's going to hit. I haven't seen many B&Ms with actuated magnetic trims (Leviathan maybe)...and that trim looks pretty long and flat to me.

That said, did you really think you were going to get away with none? They're basically standard on this ride type.

I'm surprised there aren't any before the helix, that to me would seem the "trouble" spot.

Will probably be going slow enough by then. I am waiting to see them install them on every hill.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
No trims have appeared so far except for that one on the speed hill.

So, Ingl (from CAPTE.org) went to the park today and snapped some cool pictures. Update: first camelback needs another piece of track to be topped off, more supports of the helix have been erected and one more section of it has been put.

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

In this picture the hill looks VERY steep. Again, angles...

scaled.php

A bunch of other pictures can be found here.

Source: Ingl from CAPTE.org

marc

CF Legend

I was being sarcky UC, I have yet to see one of these things make me go wow I prefer the Intamin ones. Maybe this one will make me change my mind.

I don't get why B&M kill g and air time yet their earlier coasters gave plenty of G.

I am starting to like the look of this though have to admit.