What's new

Pleasure Beach Blackpool

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Was originally going to make a long report, but can't be arsed, so it's going to be short-ish. Maybe I'll expand it at a later date. Most things are in order, but may be a couple of mistakes.

Weather: Typical British...****. Cold, damp, strong wind, one or two very light, short showers.
Time: 11:00-18:00

Arrived nice and early, was in park by 11, most rides were open now but PMBO was every now and then sending an empty train around and Grand National was broken and I was told that it was not going to open. Fortunately it eventually did. And then broke. Twice. Maybe more.

Anyway, on with the report, split into sections for each ride as follows...

Ghost Train
Distinct lack of ghosts, deliberate or otherwise. This may be the first ghost train, and also where the name was invented, as well as being famously actually 'haunted', it was not scary and there were no 'real' ghosts either. But then again it isn't supposed to be a scary thrill ride so it does it's job ok. 4/10

Wild Mouse
Fantastic. Loved the ride, one of my favourites. Found it comfortable and smooth, not at all painful, odd for what is meant to be the world’s most wild wild mouse. Only downside was the...um...compromising seats...Still, great fun and pretty mental, going to give it a 10/10

River Caves
Scenery was OK, but too fake, got stuck on lift for ages, but the tiny drop at the end was surprisingly good and more wet than you would think. Again, a 4/10

Tango Ice Blast
Decent ride but a bit of a let down. View was awful, launch was not as fast, strong or scary as I thought it would be, far too short and the two boosts after the main launch had no airtime. First launch did have a fair bit of airtime though, and it gets a respectable 6/10

Impossible
Pre ride was open, mirror maze, hall of mirrors, illusions and such, but the ride itself, a Hex-style Madhouse or similar, I believe, was closed for the day. Can’t rate it if it's closed.

Steeplechase
Not the most comfortable ride ever, but fun, and I won on the red side. Only two sides were working, red and green. Thought it was aright bit of a novelty factor but not comfortable or smooth, 6/10

Pepsi Max Big One
Biggest let down. I weren’t expecting much, but still...only two trains were running, not 3, and then one got taken off while I was queuing, but eventually got on front row. Fairly boring, rough towards MCBR, which killed the speed too much. That said there were good points, the turnaround and the tunnel at the end being the only two big ones (sorry). Seats were uncomfortable but restraints allowed for a lot of freedom, which was nice. It was OK, and looks amazing, as is the fact it exists in the first place, there is something special about it, so a well deserved 7/10

Big Dipper
Blackpool apparently invented the phrase 'Big Dipper'. Very back row for this, found that it had very good airtime, but only after the crest of the hills, going over the top had very little, but on the way down, it was great. Quite smooth and barrels of fun. Very good ride, deserves a solid score of 8/10

Infusion
I had ridden this years ago at Southport. Water effects have improved it a lot, although it looks small next to PMBO. Only rough part was inlines, apart from that smooth, if badly designed at points (sidewinder, bottom of first drop). Got front row but didn't really get wet. Paint is coming off already, bits of it look purple were the paint has mixed with the old colour, and some bits are clearly red from its TraumaTizer days. Still, I enjoyed it a lot, it looks great, and I feel generous, so it just about scrapes an 8/10

Should point out at this point Bling was closed.

Queued for Nash, but it closed for good, apparently, so went on...

Valhalla
Stunning. The only ride I have ever HAD to run back on to. Mind blowing. Gets off to a bad start, but after that, it is unbelievable, water and fire parts were best, and the part where the hammers and club nearly hit you is good as well. The drops are great and you will be drenched through. Valhalla is the best ride at PBB, and you have to ride it. Better second time round, both times front row, and you will want to buy a cheap poncho. You have been warned. How can I give it anything other than a 10/10

Grand National
Finally got on it, back row. and airtime was superb. I lost. Went back on later in the day. Back row again. Didn't put on the belt, and hardly moved the bar at all. I challenge you to find better airtime, anywhere, it was unbelievable. Hurt my balls though, and I lost again. Still, best coaster at the Beach, mind-blowing. 10/10

Irn Bru Revolution
Was not expecting much, how wrong I was, I sat front row, and it was amazing. Smooth and forceful, forward was very good, but backwards was something else entirely. Airtime was immense and the loop was great too, another 10/10

Avalanche
A lot faster than it looks when you ride it. Only ride I didn't sit either very front or very back on, but was still great, bit of a head rush as well. Difficult one to rate, but it gets an 8/10

Flying Machines
ZZZZZZ...Boring ride, but the oldest there, it's OK for kids, but was slow and boring, and possibly unsafe, 3/10

I find the ride collection strange, and I think my scores reflect that. Most of the rides that were good got very high scores, while the not very good ones got pretty low scores, there was not many 'average' rides, mostly either really good, or rather bad.

All in all, a great day, got on pretty much everything that was open, certainly everything even worth a second glance. Reliability is an issue with quite a lot of rides down and most of those that were open only ran one train. Still, I finally visited Blackpool after a very long time, and enjoyed it very much.

Jools

Giga Poster
Most of the rating there I agree with you, sounds like good day, was ROllercoaster closed again, it's even smoother than Big Dipper and has more airtime IMO, I agree with you that Revo deserves a 10, IMO 2nd best coaster there!

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Sadly yes, it was closed. One of the trains were in pieces next to the track and it generally looked to be in a bad way, but I heard they open it at weekends now, I think. Have to get on it next time.

jayjay

Giga Poster
Sounds like you had a good day. I'd agree with you except for Valhalla. Not the best ride there by any means (in my opinion). I'm also glad you share my enthusiasm for Wild Mouse and Revolution. Both pretty unassuming, but then they really get good when you ride.

Ollie

CF Legend
Valhalla
Stunning. The only ride I have ever HAD to run back on to. Mind blowing. Gets off to a bad start, but after that, it is unbelievable, water and fire parts were best, and the part where the hammers and club nearly hit you is good as well. The drops are great and you will be drenched through. Valhalla is the best ride at PBB, and you have to ride it. Better second time round, both times front row, and you will want to buy a cheap poncho. You have been warned. How can I give it anything other than a 10/10
Valhalla is easily the best water ride I've every been on and I love it. Although even I wouldn't give it a 10.

Grand National
Finally got on it, back row. and airtime was superb. I lost.
Dammit. I lost the game
continued said:
Went back on later in the day. Back row again. Didn't put on the belt, and hardly moved the bar at all. I challenge you to find better airtime, anywhere, it was unbelievable. Hurt my balls though, and I lost again. Still, best coaster at the Beach, mind-blowing. 10/10
Grand National is good but the Airtime isn't that amazing. I've been on loads of coaster with more airtime. EGF has about 5 seconds of airtime just over it's first hill and it continues to give airtime over every hill for the rest of the ride.

I have to disagree with most your ratings. Blackpool's rides are average. Nothing amazing. It's great to get on some old rides but some of them are ageing badly and nothing in Blackpool is 9 or 10 worthy imo.
Glad you had a great time though.

divvie_dave

Mega Poster
Impossible
Pre ride was open, mirror maze, hall of mirrors, illusions and such, but the ride itself, a Hex-style Madhouse or similar, I believe, was closed for the day. Can’t rate it if it's closed.

what?!?!? I just thought it was a walk through.... didnt think it had a mad house inside too???? are you sure?! :?

I think that the truma towers is a well done ride too... But i think its been closed a while.

Also, I agree with above^^^ the rides are good, but I don't really think they are mind blowing. I agree that their woodies have brilliant airtime.... but they are so god damned painful too. I had a pelvis like a pensioner after going on those things last time.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
divvie_dave said:
what?!?!? I just thought it was a walk through.... didnt think it had a mad house inside too???? are you sure?! :?

It's not a Vekoma Madhouse - it's a similar ride though, one that pre-dates Vekoma themselves by a good twenty years or so. :)

Ollie

CF Legend
Yeah Impossible has (or had) a small Mad House style thing at the end. I hated it as it made me feel ill because of the size of the room and squeaky swinging of the swing. It was cool standing by the exit door though as you could see through a gap and see the outside of the room spinning round. :)

Pierre

Strata Poster
I think that 'unsafe' feeling the Flying Machines have give it that extra bit of excitement/intensity to be honest. Other than that yeah they're pretty boring haha.

Oh and PMBO is far better at the back IMO, the way it drags you over the crest of the lift hill is insane.