What's new

Playland's Castaway Cove | GaleForce | S&S Triple Launched

Jer

Strata Poster
I only just found out about this, was anyone else aware of it? Looks interesting if only the trains werent horrible

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx8ZpzGTong[/youtube]

Set to open Summer 2016.

Edited to embed the video (removed the s after http). - ECG

TilenB

Strata Poster
Re: Playland's Castaway Cove | Gale Force | S&S

Is that the launched El Loco concept that someone (roomraider?) posted about earlier in the year? It looks really neat and kind of perfect for a park of such (smaller) size.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

^Yes, it's a launched El Loco coaster:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EmaM0cUAFY[/youtube]
Jer said:
Looks interesting if only the trains werent horrible
I wasn't aware that you've ridden an El Loco. I don't mind these trains as much as Premier Rides version and I'm looking forward to comparing these coasters to the Sky Rocket IIs.

Jer

Strata Poster

The train comment was based on the design alone haha. They just look awkward and lazy.

Ben

CF Legend
Re: Playland's Castaway Cove | Gale Force | S&S Launched El

The trains look fine it's the layout that looks gross.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

TilenB said:
Is that the launched El Loco concept that someone (roomraider?) posted about earlier in the year? It looks really neat and kind of perfect for a park of such (smaller) size.

Wasn't me but there is a thread here

The ride appeared in the last issue of First Drop. If i remember correctly they said they sold 2 of these to the USA. Here is the first one. So I'd expect another one to pop up before the years out.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Re: Playland's Castaway Cove | Gale Force | S&S Launched El

Certainly looks like an interesting idea. Lots of stuff packed in there. And wtf is with that top hat roll thing? :)

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Re: Playland's Castaway Cove | GaleForce | S&S Launched El L

This thing looks great! Not phenomenal, but great! I loved the traditional El Loco I rode in Las Vegas and this one looks even better! Might have to cram it into that second insane Morey's Piers/SFA day on my Mid-Atlantic trip next season...

insanecoastervids

Hyper Poster

Looks like a great coaster, and I think it has a very interesting layout. I also think it was a good decision for the park to build such a great little coaster

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

I'll take it over the Premier Sky Rocket II, but I am still not taken with these low capacity shuttle coasters.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

I received the press release today, here you go.

“Gale Force” Coming to New Jersey, as S&S Debuts New Coaster Design
LOGAN, Utah - (August 5, 2015) – The innovative team at S&S Worldwide has been selected by Playland’s Castaway Cove to build what is anticipated to be the first linear synchronous motor (“LSM”) launched coaster to open in the Northeast region of the U.S. S&S has teamed up with Scott Simpson of S&T Amusements (owner of Playland’s Castaway Cove) to create a new design for the “Gale Force” coaster, combining some thrilling elements of the S&S El Loco coaster with three LSM launches. This all-new coaster concept is planned to open for families and thrill-seekers alike on the New Jersey coast in the spring of 2016.
The S&S LSM Triple Launch Coaster will offer visitors to the New Jersey shore an exciting, high- powered ride experience that does not exist anywhere else in the world. The ingenious design of the three launches (one forward, one backward, and a final forward launch at 64 mph) provides an amazing ride experience on a coaster that has a very small footprint. S&S has packed the ride design with an unbelievable number of exciting elements, including a 125-foot crest, the pure rush of a 100-degree downdrop at a pulse-racing 59 mph, a 180-degree twisting climb, an off-camber dive drop, a corked roll, a top hat twist, and a raven dive.
“Scott Simpson wanted to build an exciting family coaster and bring something new and different to the New Jersey shore, and S&S was excited to be able to offer our new LSM Triple Launch Coaster,” said Tim Timco, Vice President of Sales and Marketing for S&S. “It has been a pleasure to work with Scott Simpson and his team in planning an extraordinary new ride for his facility. By listening to our customer and seeking to understand their needs, we have been able to design yet another thrilling coaster that is perfect for the family-centered amusement park (“Gale Force” will accommodate passengers as small as 48” tall). S&S sincerely appreciates the confidence Scott Simpson and his team have placed in us with this coaster project.”
Scott Simpson, owner of Playland’s Castaway Cove, said, “After 56 years on the Ocean City boardwalk, we have chosen S&S to build a compact thrilling coaster to entertain our visitors.
Having enjoyed a long, successful experience with our S&S Double Shot ride, we are adding the next level of attraction to the park. Our “Gale Force” coaster will feature acceleration from beginning to end, providing non-stop excitement for the entire ride.”
Discussing the process of working with S&S on this new coaster design, Simpson said, “We have spent three years with S&S in planning and design, in order to achieve a one-of-a-kind coaster that would utilize a small footprint. We are all very excited to open the ride next spring.”
Timco, who enjoyed spending summers in Ocean City while growing up, added, “This project is very special to me, as well. Being able to partner with a long-time friend in the creation of our new LSM Triple Launch Coaster is a tremendous opportunity – and the coaster is yet another example of the caliber of our world-class engineering team at S&S. We’re looking forward to the grand opening of this new coaster at Playland’s Castaway Cove next spring.”

El Locos are my coaster guilty pleasures although I'm not sure if I'd like the launch and backwards bit.

Jer

Strata Poster

I have yet to ride a regular El Loco

But to be honest I cant say I'm too thrilled by this one in the end. I'm not falling in love with the Sky Rockets IIs and just because this is different doesn't change that. WE will see in October when I ride a Sky Rocket if my opinion changes.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

Jarrett said:
I loved the traditional El Loco I rode in Las Vegas
The El Loco in Vegas isn't "traditional". It's a custom model and much better than "traditional" ones. You need to get to Indiana Beach to find out what a "traditional" one rides like.

For those that haven't seen this:

11796314_699642166806988_1292005631999976229_n.jpg

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

ECG said:
Jarrett said:
The El Loco in Vegas isn't "traditional". It's a custom model and much better than "traditional" ones. You need to get to Indiana Beach to find out what a "traditional" one rides like.

Here we see that "Corked Roll" again.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016

ECG said:
Jarrett said:

I was saying "traditional" as in "non-launched," similar to how people refer to Fury 325 as the tallest "traditional" coaster in the world, in that it has a lift hill and drop. I knew that one was custom, and I also plan to hit IB either this year or the next.

But call it what you want, the one in Vegas is fab and I hope this one is at least somewhat similar in how it rides. Bits of it look insane like the drop and that top hat thing, so I'm not going to lie, I'm excited for this one.

11796265_1521019184839739_2371460302439783650_n.jpg

Coaster Studios also put this on their Facebook page, taken from PCC's social media. Looks like they're nixing two and adding two in 2016, so it shouldn't affect the park's net cred count. I am intrigued to see what they have wrapping around Gale Force, though.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

Sorry, I didn't realize that's what you meant. I never really thought of El Locos as being traditional, but then I never heard anyone call Fury 325 "traditional" either.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

Just to clear something up.
The layout above is NOT the correct layout for this ride. Its similar but that's the standard layout S&S offer. This one seems to have been tweaked to fit in the site. So it has lost the corked roll and you enter the 3rd element from the bottom rather than the top.
It's a little shorter but i guess it had to be to fit in such a tight site.

galeforce.png

Lofty

CF Legend

Still looks **** awful :lol:

Thekingin64

Strata Poster

I disagree, I love the look of that and think it could be fantastic. Perfect for the small park that it's going to.