What's new

Photos from abandoned theme parks

madhjsp

Giga Poster
This french park called Mirapolis based on French tales and stories opened in 1987 but closed in 1991 because it was unable to turn a profit.

globulon_mirapolis.jpg

It had this massive statue, Gargantua, which contained a dark ride, and has since been dynamited:

mirapolis.jpg

42-21708266.jpg

Link to a short clip of the statue being destroyed: CLICK

Link to a slideshow of photos from the abandoned park. Most of the rides are removed but they left behind a lot of theming: CLICK

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Haha! You walked in through his crotch!

:lol:

Dave

CF Legend
^ That would've been some awesome photos had it not been raped by HDR and photoshop.

davidm

Strata Poster
^^ some of the shots were horrible I agree, some really bad processing! Don't think they are a set of someone's shots though, just a collection of lots of peeps shots (so maybe not everyone was responsible for the "crimes against photography" :) )

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Hahaha, the Mirapolis statue is amazing.

What's happening to SF New Orleans now anyway? Are they going to tear it down or clean it up and reopen it?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I know it's a shame that the park was ruined, but there's a part of me that thinks a Batman clone over water could be ridiculously awesome:
New-Orleans-LA-Sept.-14-2005-Six-Flags-Over-Louisiana-remains-submerged-two-weeks-after-Hurricane-Katrina-caused-levees-to-fail-in-New-Orleans.jpg

:D

Dave

CF Legend
^ That Batman clone is now at Six Flags Fiesta Texas as Goliath.

klm99sl2kcu3s8g0056qul.jpg

I believe it's the only ride salvaged from the park.

HarryTubbritt

Roller Poster
The rotting rides have such a scary feel to them. Theme parks should decorate a ride like that to scare guests, it would really scare people.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Ben said:
If only there was some website, say, a database, out there which tracks all of this stuff...
Haha, a bit off-topic, but as it's my site, I guess I can bend the rules.

Last Tues & Weds, whenever furie and I had a geek moment about rollercoasters and we were stumped for an answer, we'd say "If only there was some kind of roller coaster database where we could find the answer." We must have have said it about 10 times. You had to be there.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
^^ Relax, man, I think he was just pointing out that Batman wasn't the only ride salvaged.

^ I agree with you there. I'd love to see a horror-themed coaster painted to look rusty and dilapidated like the one in the picture from Japan on the previous page. Done right, I could see it being very effective.