What's new

Phantasialand - Wintertraum Nov. 2022 (part 2)

Heth

Mega Poster
Hey all,

First trip report here!

I've been to Phantasialand 3 times before (2012, 2014, 2019). My original plan was to do a big trip to Efteling, Phantasialand, Toverland and Europa Park with my brother in September 2020 for my 30th birthday. Would you believe it, that plan didn't work out! Unfortunately my usual theme park companions were unavailable, so this time I was theme-parking solo.

Because I was alone, and to treat myself after years of not going abroad, I decided to stay on site at the Hotel Charles Lindbergh. Additionally, to try and

Day 1 - Saturday - Cologne

Day 1 was my only complete theme park free day. I started my journey in Bournemouth at 8am, taking the coach to Heathrow, then flying to Dusseldorf, before finally getting the train to Cologne for my first night stay just outside of the city centre.

Arriving into Cologne I decided to visit the Christmas Markets... On a Saturday... Near Christmas. This was a poor move. It was RAMMED. Rammed to the extent that it was no longer fun. I enjoyed seeing some of the stalls and ate some food, but ultimately I gave up and had dinner at a McDonalds rather than try and negotiate the chaos of the markets any longer.

Ultimately though, this was just a precursor to the big event...

Day 2 - Sunday - Phantasialand

After a patchy night of sleep (mostly due to excitement) I checked out of my Cologne hotel and made my way to the main event, Phantasialand and the Hotel Charles Lindbergh!

Taking the train and Phantasialand shuttle bus to the park, I arrived around 10:50am. My first task was to drop off my bag and pick up my tickets from the hotel.

20221128_101133.jpg

My first impression was incredible. The hotel looks stunning. Walking through the lobby and reception area you capture glimpses of Rookburgh and FLY. The rumbling of the trains passing by echoes through the hallways and the gentle ambient music adds to the themed atmosphere. Checking in, the staff are very helpful and they explain the system for accessing the park and book in the dinner and breakfast reservations. I was initially a bit annoyed that the restaurant needed booking and worked with timeslots (my timeslot was 1 hour before park closing, so it meant that I lost time in the park), however this worry was unfounded, and actually I was glad to have this system. It was nice to have a guaranteed slot for dinner and meant the meals were more relaxing.

I dropped my bags off to the luggage area, but before I entered the park I decided to explore the hotel, which of course included that view.

20221128_100551.jpg

Wow! I am a big fan of theming at theme parks, and I feel very confident in saying this is the best themed rollercoaster I have ever seen. Potential competitors include the Disney 'mountain' rides, and Taron at the very same park, but this view really just does it for me. It probably helps that I'm a big fan of steampunk theming, so maybe there's a bias.

Countless photos and videos later, I finally head down to the park around 11:30am to begin getting on some rides! Hotel Charles Lindbergh has its own private entrance to Rookburgh through which guests of the hotel can enter the park. A lovely elderly gentleman was checking the tickets on all the days I was here. A lovely man, but quite chatty, which slowed the queue of people getting in a little!

Despite entering the park in Rookburgh and exploring the area first, the first ride of the day was actually...

Taron

DSC07896.JPG

I'll voice a very 'basic' opinion here: Taron is a great ride. It's a bit of a boring opinion to have, but I think Taron is the best rollercoaster I have ridden. I'd ridden it in 2019 and my opinion formed very quickly that this was a very special ride. The level of theming around this ride is incredible. As you approach the ride the imposing grey rockwork looms large. The black track weaves chaotically through the rocks and rustic timber and stone buildings which form Klugheim. Though from the outside you can find vantage points where the coaster can be seen as a whole, approaching the entrance and through the queueline the layout feels like something of a mystery. Into the queue I go...

DSC07886.JPG

The first ride of the day had a queue was about 50 mins. It didn't feel like the best start to the riding day, but of course that feeling went away pretty quickly upon boarding.

The train exits the impeccably themed station accompanied by the dispatch theme before ramping up into the initial launch. Whilst not the fastest, the launch is still impressive, but not as impressive by what follows. The cars haul it through the layout, made of airtime hills and aggressively banked s-bends, all of which are thrilling, but particular praise goes to the two mind-blowing air-time hills which arrive shortly after the launches.

As the ride starts to lose some speed, the cars turn dive quickly into the highlight of the ride. The second launch is breathtaking. It is around 70 mph, but it feels like a hundread. Even just hearing the sound of that launch, the rasping and ominous buzz of the LSMs is enough to give my goosebumps. The launch is followed by an arching curve upwards, which then transforms into a weaving downward series of s-bends which are a perfect balance of weightlessness and speed. The rest of the layout is more of the same of the first half, with the only bad note being the trimmed camelback. This sole mood-killer doesn't last long as the final drop and turn into the breaks is still fantastic.

TL:DR - Taron is great.

It's November, it's cold...do you know what would be a perfect follow-up to Taron.

Chiapas

DSC07875.JPG

Chiapas is one of my favourite rides in the world. I may enjoy coasters, but for me one of the truest expressions of joy at a theme park is a drop straight down into a trough of water...and there are few drops into troughs of water which are straight down as fast and steep as Chiapas. Is it perfect? No, if I'm being honest I feel like it could do with more dark ride 'scenes'. However, the things it does it does very well. The rockwork is great and there are plenty of drops. I love the trick tracks and switches, which really add a great spin on the classic log flume. The biggest shame in this world is that Intamin didn't sell more of these!

I anticipated that Phantasialand would do what Tokyo Disneyland do with their Splash Mountain and tone down the water splash during winter. They do not. I got very wet, but I'm ok with that.

With my two personal favourites out of the way, it was time to do the big new hotness...

FLY and Rookburgh

20221128_152552.jpg

As I aluded to earlier, Rookburgh is phenomenal. There is theming everywhere, from the massive brick and iron structures surrounding the land to the little vents spouting steam there is detail everywhere. Each railing, each tube, each brick complements the area and the ambience. Even more impressive is the way FLY weaves in around all these details. The fact that a hotel is mixed into this is also incredible. It is stunning.

DSC07866.JPG

You might wonder about why I left FLY until later. I get motion sick, and I was warned by several people that FLY made them nauseous. So, I wanted to get Taron and Chiapas out of the way just in case the nausea set in. Taking my...err...stomach... into my own hands, I started queuing. I decided to queue for front row as I had heard that this was the best to avoid feeling sick.

The queue was about 30 mins, which is surprising as it would hit 60-80 mins for most of the day. I just got lucky this time! The queue and the music are fantastic. You get some amazing views of the ride and the tension really rises as you descend into the station. The station was really atmospheric. As the trains enter and depart the station the light changes, the sound effects play and the music blares into action. The loading process as well is so much better than other flying coasters. All in all a good start.

Boarding the front row, I nervously lowered the restraints. Barely a moment passed, and we were off. The train swiftly rounded the corner into the brief dark ride segment. Industrial walls are gently lit with coloured lights as holograms advertise steampunk products, followed by a bigger projection of a city scape as the train rises up from the underground. The train comfortably rotated around into the flying position and I was very impressed at how smooth the transition was.

In no time at all the first launch commenced. The train surged forward with some moderate forced and quickly began its rise upwards into the coaster layout. The ride is very impressive and highly enjoyable. It is the only flying coaster I've ridden which actually felt like I was flying. The ride has a great balance of forces, drops and even some mild airtime. The interaction with the scenery and the hotel is truly impressive, and the ride is a technical marvel.

As the ride returned to the station I felt a sense of elation and relief. The ride was great fun, and thankfully I did not feel sick. However, I can easily see how being in a later row or going on it when feeling slightly iffy could result in nausea. I really had to concentrate on facing forwards on the track in front of me to avoid feeling dizzy. It was worth it though, the ride is a triumph. All in all, this is now my second favourite coaster in the park.

The rest of the daylight hours were spent riding some of the smaller rides and re-riding some I'd already done. The park was very busy, and because I had ridden most things before I was an opportunist and simply rode things as they had short queue times:

Colorado Adventure - A fun mine train coaster. It's good fun, but it actively feels quite juddery and dated. I enjoyed it less than on previous visits.

Geister Rikscha - Phantasialand may make great new rides, but they do not maintain this one at all. It is broken and battered in so many ways. It did have a 0 minute queue though, and was dry and indoors, so it's a winner in my opinion.

Maus au Chocolate - When you ignore the oncoming carpal tunnel from tugging on the strings for the guns it's a fun ride! I like that the spaces between screens are all themed properly, and I much prefer it to most screen-based shooting rides.

Deep in Africa - Adventure Trail - This is a new for 2022 walkthrough in the Africa section. It provides some excellent views across Black Mamba and I was amazed at how dangerous some of the climbs felt. This was definitely not possible in the UK!

Raik - It's...fine. Perfectly functional vekoma family boomerang, but ultimately unremarkable beyond its setting amidst Klugheim.

As 3-4pm approached, I knew that next on my agenda would be the other thing I came here for: night rides. However, first I wanted to check in. I returned to the hotel (not that it's very far to walk), checked in and checked out the room! I am so impressed with the hotel. The entire complex is so detailed and has great views over Rookburgh.

20221127_110826.jpg

The rooms themselves are no exception, with little flourishes throughout. The rooms are small, but not claustrophobic, though as I was travelling alone I would imagine staying with a second person might feel a bit more cosy. I slept very well both nights I was there.

Returning to the park after the sun had descended, I returned to a much busier park. Queues were in excess of 45-50 mins on the bigger rides, and it became apparent that I would not get many night rides in tonight.

I decided to prioritise...

Taron (night ride)

The big daddy had to be the first one didn't it. The queue was near an hour, sadly prohibitting other night rides given my booking for dinner. It was TOTALLY WORTH IT.

DSC07912.JPG

Wow. Taron at night is an absolute beast. The ride feels faster, more intense and more surprising than during the day. A phenomenal way to end my first day.

DSC07838.JPG

My first day was good, however it was a busy day, and you'll notice a lot of big rides missing. Black Mamba and Winjas would have to wait for Monday.

Returning to the hotel, I went to dinner at Uhrwerk. My first meal was lovely. It's not fine dining, but it was a filling meal and better than your regular theme park food. Following dinner I returned up to the viewing walkways to look down upon FLY before returning to my room to sleep off the day, in preparation for day 2 at Phantasialand.

DSC07932.JPG

Attachments

• 20221127_161420.jpg
    20221127_161420.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Heth

Mega Poster
Thanks!

Day 3 - Monday - Phantasialand

I have suffered from issues with insomnia in the past, and I'm often nervous about not sleeping in unfamiliar environments. I'm also very sensitive to sounds. However, I am VERY pleased to say I woke up on Monday morning well rested! The room at the Hotel Charles Lindbergh was nice and comfortable, dark and actually quite quiet. I set my alarm for 8:20am, which is good as the park music and hotel music became audible bright and early at 8:30am.

Whilst I'd noted it during dinner the night before, the close proximity of the track of FLY to the restaurant is insane. It's so close!

20221128_090936.jpg

Breakfast was pretty good. There was a modest selection of hot food, cold meats, breads and other continental items. The only thing I would have liked was some sweet items like muffins, but that's a minor complaint.

My breakfast booking was at 8:45am the park opened at 11am, so that gave me plenty of time to get ready and take another walk around the hotel's viewing platforms and balconies. As noted in my previous day's report, the views from the hotel are spectacular and are worth paying to stay at the hotel in of themselves!

When 11am came around I queued up at the private Rookburgh entrance and headed straight to...

FLY

I've said what I wanted to in my review about, but I definitely enjoyed my second ride. This further cemented my appreciation for this ride, and it really is marvel. My second ride was also in front row, but that took a lot of effort. On quieter days the park don't have a separate front row queue open, and staff are quite reluctant to let you select rows. I really had to BEG to get front row and make it clear that I'm willing to wait longer. I was successful, but it was annoying to have to do this.

20221127_111748.jpg

I had been a bit agitated by how busy it was the previous day as I missed out on several major rides. However, with a quiet Monday on my hands I decided to tick off some of the rides I'd missed out the first time around. The weather was not great (raining on and off all day):

Hotel Tartuff

Love it. For those not familiar, this is a walkthrough funhouse style attraction. It is just pure fun. My only complaint is that many of the effects don't work. My biggest Phantasialand complaint is that, whilst the park is great at bringing in big new amazing attractions, the park is not good at all about maintaining the older (even only a decade older) rides and their effects. See also Geister Rikscha. Regardless, I love this attraction.

Winjas Fear and Winjas Force

I didn't ride these back to back, but I'll review them as one. When I first rode these I was absolutely wowed by them. They are famous for their 'trick track' surprises, and to be fair these are great and I will not spoil them. However, as this is my fourth trip to the park, the surprise is diminised, and if I'm being honest I actually think these are not as amazing as I remember. The main bulk of the track is a solid C+ / B, but I've ridden much better spinners, such as Chessington World of Adventure's Dragon's Fury.

100_6166.JPG

Black Mamba

Back in 2012, Black Mamba was the ride that made me visit the park for the first time. It is a spectacular ride, and the way it is buried in and around the Africa section of the park is highly reminiscent of Nemesis at Alton Towers. Theming wise it is superior to Nemesis, but ultimately I think I prefer Nemesis to the actual Black Mamba coaster. I only rode Black Mamba the once. Whilst I find it fun and have rated it higher on previous trips, as I get older I cannot tolerate the forces. It's actually the forces of the tight helix which affects me more than the inversions, and I left the ride feeling queasy. I will continue to ride it, but nowadays it's a one and done attraction!

20221128_124904.jpg

Mystery Castle

I get a bit nervous on coasters, but mostly just worrying about being nauseous. Drop towers however are a different matter. I do not know what it is about them, but drop towers SCARE ME. Doing drop towers really makes me feel like I'm doing something transgressive, really pushing myself to the edge of what I can do. Pushing the limits of my own bravery.

Mystery Castle is one of the scariest rides I feel comfortable doing. It's so intimidating. Just look at the height of that tower. Inside there's lots of theming, until you reach the ominous and barren tower. It is so tall you cannot even see the top. It's so bloody scary.

Before, after and during the rides mentioned above I did some re-rides on Taron, Chiapas, Geister Rikscha, Hotel Tartuff and Maus au Chocolate, generally alternating between coasters and calmer rides to avoid the nausea. I also ate lunch in the China section for some delicious currywurst, a personal favourite.

Now, I had been most excited about night rides, but then something started happening in the afternoon I didn't plan for. I noticed it initially as Mystery Castle started to become less visible.

DSC07908.JPG

A fog had descended on Phantasialand.

20221128_161306.jpg

It was a combination of artificial mist from Taron becoming denser due to the low temperature and humidity and actual fog, but regardless of the cause, it was absolutely fantastic. The ride (and much of the park) became so atmospheric! Klugheim was the most effected, but much of the rest of the park also became misty.

The moment I realised what was happening I almost ran to Taron. I was going to get a ride that I'd never even considered before, but knew immediately I wanted more than anything in the world at that moment...

Taron...FOG RIDE

When I say visibility was low, I mean LOW. I'd been on the ride 3 times over two days (8 times total by this point), and yet my fog ride on Taron was unpredictable. It didn't matter how much of the layout I knew, I was absolutely flung around by this beast as I really could not tell what was coming. I was on the back row and it was mindblowing.

DSC07904.JPG

Shortly after my Taron fog ride, I quickly turned my attention to the adjacent Chiapas for a Chiapas fog / night ride. Chiapas remains a favourite, so I was overjoyed to get such a unique experience at night!

DSC07909.JPG

With night time now in full swing, I was able to focus my riding and experience some key rides at night:

Colorado Adventure (night)

This ride was much better at night. I wanted to get a ride in the back at night, but due to the wet weather they were not loading full trains, and roped off the back 6 rows (the last 2 carriages) loading only the other half. It was however still good fun.

DSC07910.JPG

Taron (night)

As the day before, Taron at night was incredible. However, my final night ride on Taron was a fog + night ride in the back row. WOW.

DSC07914.JPG

DSC07912.JPG

FLY (night)

The final night ride of the day (and final of the trip - or so I thought at the time) was on FLY. I feel like I've written at length about how good FLY was, but I'll keep it brief and say it was ever better at night. Again I asked politely (i.e. pleaded) to be allowed to wait for front row a third time, and thankfully got my wish). Soaring over Rookburgh with the area lit up was a wonderful way to close the day.

DSC07848.JPG
DSC07854.JPG

I returned to my room to freshen up before heading into the Uhrwerk restaurant for my final dinner. I had 2 nights, so had two dinners at the restaurant. One was definitely better than the other. The burger I had the first night was lovely, however I was not keen on the pasta I had on the second night. It was rather oily, which was a shame. In hindsight I wished I'd just ordered a different burger for the second night. Oh well!

Day 4 - Heading Home.

My train to get to the aiport was at 12pm. The park opened at 11am. Now, I'd initially planned to just look around the hotel and take photos on my final morning. However I was overcome with the urge to squeeze a bit more park time out of the trip.

11:00 - 11:30am power (half) hour. I entered the park and managed to get a ride on Taron front row and then a ride on Chiapas in about 20 mins, before hurrying back to the lobby to check out and board my bus to the station. I just about managed some final FLY photos before it was time to leave.

20221128_100925.jpg

Final Thoughts

It's hard to rank my 4 trips to Phantasialand. Each one was taken at a different time in my life and each with different people. One with an enthusiast, one with a friend and one with a sibling and a friend. Each had a different take on the park and took the park at a different pace. I really enjoyed this solo trip, and the experience as a whole was enhanced with the Hotel Charles Lindbergh stay. To date it is the best theme park hotel I've ever been to. It was more than a place to stay, it was an attraction itself!

In terms of rides, I did notice a few rides I previously adored have gone down a bit in my opinion. Much of this is due to my own physical ability to enjoy some of them to be honest. That is not to say I didn't like them, but more that I cannot enjoy them on the same level I did on my first visit aged 21!

My highlights were definitely FLY, Rookburgh and Hotel Charles Lindbergh. The best coaster remains Taron, however, as that ride is so much fun and doesn't have the slightly uncomfortable flying position of FLY (though it is the most comfortable Flying Coaster I've been on).

My low point would probably be the intensely busy crowds and probably my least enjoyable Black Mamba ride (which was still fun).

I hope you enjoyed reading.

Heth.

Attachments

• DSC07866.JPG
    DSC07866.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Heth

Mega Poster
Final Final Thoughts:

Having had a bit more time, I decided to reassess my favourite rides at the park following this latest visit:

1. Taron - this remains the king at this park as far as I'm concerned, especially after doing a night ride and a fog ride.

2. Chiapas - I love a log flume, and this is probably the best one in the world.

3. FLY - the coaster is good, but the whole experience and theming is what completes it.

4. River Quest - not open during this visit, but it's a truly bizarre ride and surprisingly brutal for a river rapids.

5. Hotel Tartuff - simple funhouse pleasures, I always enjoy this. I feel slightly dirty putting this ahead of all the other coasters, but I'd be kidding myself if I claimed I didn't love it.

6. Black Mamba - don't get me wrong, this is a very good ride, however I dislike the nausea shortly following it! The Ride is intense and incredibly themed.

7. Colorado Adventure - a solid mine train coaster, the only thing letting it down is the slightly janky untamed shed early on.

8. Winjas Fear and Force - entertaining spinning coasters, but not the best out there. The trick tracks are the main attraction here. The Fear side is the better of the two.

9. Maus Au Chocolate - this is a great ride that is a must see at the park. The theming is great and the shooting is fun, however my hands ache after!

10. Mystery Castle - great theming and truly terrifying. I don't rank it as highly as the rides above though.

11. Deep in Africa Adventure Trail - good views over Black Mamba and relatively fun addition to the park.

12. Raik - unremarkable, but fun enough.

13. Geister Rikscha - a rundown dark ride, but I have a soft spot for it regardless.

14. Feng Ju Palace - so naff I don't bother riding it anymore. It has very limited re-ridability. Much prefer Hex or Villa Volta.

15. Wakoboto - literally nothing happens

16. Temple of the Nighthawk - nauseating ride with no redeeming features. Not ridden it since 2012, don't want to ride it again.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Final Final Thoughts:

Having had a bit more time, I decided to reassess my favourite rides at the park following this latest visit:

1. Taron - this remains the king at this park as far as I'm concerned, especially after doing a night ride and a fog ride.

2. Chiapas - I love a log flume, and this is probably the best one in the world.

3. FLY - the coaster is good, but the whole experience and theming is what completes it.

4. River Quest - not open during this visit, but it's a truly bizarre ride and surprisingly brutal for a river rapids.

5. Hotel Tartuff - simple funhouse pleasures, I always enjoy this. I feel slightly dirty putting this ahead of all the other coasters, but I'd be kidding myself if I claimed I didn't love it.

6. Black Mamba - don't get me wrong, this is a very good ride, however I dislike the nausea shortly following it! The Ride is intense and incredibly themed.

7. Colorado Adventure - a solid mine train coaster, the only thing letting it down is the slightly janky untamed shed early on.

8. Winjas Fear and Force - entertaining spinning coasters, but not the best out there. The trick tracks are the main attraction here. The Fear side is the better of the two.

9. Maus Au Chocolate - this is a great ride that is a must see at the park. The theming is great and the shooting is fun, however my hands ache after!

10. Mystery Castle - great theming and truly terrifying. I don't rank it as highly as the rides above though.

11. Deep in Africa Adventure Trail - good views over Black Mamba and relatively fun addition to the park.

12. Raik - unremarkable, but fun enough.

13. Geister Rikscha - a rundown dark ride, but I have a soft spot for it regardless.

14. Feng Ju Palace - so naff I don't bother riding it anymore. It has very limited re-ridability. Much prefer Hex or Villa Volta.

15. Wakoboto - literally nothing happens

16. Temple of the Nighthawk - nauseating ride with no redeeming features. Not ridden it since 2012, don't want to ride it again.
It's very different now in it's Crazy Bats form, I actually quite like it. I would say you should have given it another shot, but reading through your assessments it seems your prone to motion sickness, so maybe it's wise not to bother, with the VR and all.